UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body - Page 11 - LS1TECH

Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body

Old 05-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #201
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taws6ali View Post
Hey guys I just bought an ls3 crate engine... I have a 1999 Trans am with a t56 manual planning on using my factory pcm.
I understand vvt and fuel management and all that ....but I need to get clear answers about the sensors and compatibility with ls1 pcm
Map sensor would just an adapter plug work on ls3 map sensor, or do I have to use ls1 map sensor ?
Crank sensor I'm using a converter box
Cam sensor I'm using a converter box
Knock sensor (I don't understand why I cannot use my factory ls3
Would the ls3 bolt to t56 (ls1 setup) ? Do I use ls1 flywheel ? (Or is it a bad idea) 1999 Trans am t56 (ls1 setup) the ls3 crate engine I bought has a rod thing coming out of it so is it possible to bolt on my ls1 flywheel and clutch or do I need some kind of adapter ?
Sorry guys I'm new to all this I've read this thread a million times and still have so many questions thank you
You can use the LS3 map sensor, it would just need to be tuned for it, If you are buying the adaptor plug anyway, you might as well just extend the LS1 sensor to the front. Shoot me a PM if you want to the LS3 adaptor harness. I have one left over from my swap I'll sell you.

I'm not sure why you are using a converter box for the LS3 cam sprocket. You should be able to just buy an LS2 cam gear and use the front cover mounted sensor with an adaptor harness. GM 12576407 if I'm not mistaken. At least that's what I did on my swap.

I used the Gen IV knock sensors on my car and just had the tuner adjust the sensitivity. From what I was reading, that's the big issue with running the block mounted sensors on an ECU tuned for the valley cover sensors.

As far as the T56 questions go, I have no idea as I swapped an 80e into my car.
weeble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #202
Teching In

Hey guys updates and I need help I'm running Into a fuel issue ... Ls3 swap done
I am using ls1: (map sensor, knock sensors, oil and temp sensor)
Linger filter box for cam and crank sensors. I am using ws6 TB with throttle bracket. After a hell of a time making sure all the wires are clear from the headers and making sure I have all grounds in and secure, all following (oil, coolant, power steering, brake fluids are full) the beast Started right up, I ran it till reached normal temperature... My oil pressure dropped to 30psi thought it was fishy I start snooping around only to find out my car is dumping fuel out the exhaust to muffler flange driver side (keep in mind I had a hard time keeping that sucker from leaking near where the head/header mate rtv sealed it as it wouldn't seal all the way Near the front).... An old incident ...after rebuilding my ls1 block and installing it I had the same problem "fuel coming out the exhaust ended up blowing a rid through the ls1 block minutes after a fresh rebuild...long story short I came to the realization that my crate ls3 engine doesn't come with a "on rail fuel regulator" like on my ls1 fuel rail... I've been reading about dealing corvette c6 fuel filter with built in regulator "I would use some Intel on that" would be much appreciated ... And about the fuel leaking out the exhaust is that due to the fur regulator issue or do I have a fuel regulator on my tank ? Or is it ecm/pcm problem? I haven't got it tuned at all (not sure if I have to since I'm using all ls1 sensors or since my knock sensors on the side now it'll be different but I don't think it would cause a fuel issue) this swap is killing me I am close to giving up so I could use all the help I can get thank you in advance guys

Last edited by taws6ali; 06-25-2016 at 12:19 AM.
taws6ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #203
TECH Regular

What year is your F-Body? I've read that the '98s have the regulator on the rail, while the '99+ have it by the tank. Either way, I would definitely get the engine tuned, even if it wasn't puking fuel. An LS3 is a different motor with different demands than the LS1, such as an 800 RPM greater redline. Careful not to light your ride on fire.
eb110americana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #204
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taws6ali View Post
Hey guys updates and I need help I'm running Into a fuel issue ... Ls3 swap done
I am using ls1: (map sensor, knock sensors, oil and temp sensor)
Linger filter box for cam and crank sensors. I am using ws6 TB with throttle bracket. After a hell of a time making sure all the wires are clear from the headers and making sure I have all grounds in and secure, all following (oil, coolant, power steering, brake fluids are full) the beast Started right up, I ran it till reached normal temperature... My oil pressure dropped to 30psi thought it was fishy I start snooping around only to find out my car is dumping fuel out the exhaust to muffler flange driver side (keep in mind I had a hard time keeping that sucker from leaking near where the head/header mate rtv sealed it as it wouldn't seal all the way Near the front).... An old incident ...after rebuilding my ls1 block and installing it I had the same problem "fuel coming out the exhaust ended up blowing a rid through the ls1 block minutes after a fresh rebuild...long story short I came to the realization that my crate ls3 engine doesn't come with a "on rail fuel regulator" like on my ls1 fuel rail... I've been reading about dealing corvette c6 fuel filter with built in regulator "I would use some Intel on that" would be much appreciated ... And about the fuel leaking out the exhaust is that due to the fur regulator issue or do I have a fuel regulator on my tank ? Or is it ecm/pcm problem? I haven't got it tuned at all (not sure if I have to since I'm using all ls1 sensors or since my knock sensors on the side now it'll be different but I don't think it would cause a fuel issue) this swap is killing me I am close to giving up so I could use all the help I can get thank you in advance guys
Get it tuned and make sure you have the correct 02 sensors plugged in. I had a similar issue and it was caused by having the rear 02 plugged in (they were deleted). Stupid mistake on my part. Made sure both front sensors were plugged in and it fixed it.
weeble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #205
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeble1 View Post
Get it tuned and make sure you have the correct 02 sensors plugged in. I had a similar issue and it was caused by having the rear 02 plugged in (they were deleted). Stupid mistake on my part. Made sure both front sensors were plugged in and it fixed it.
this info raise my suspicions, I suspected this could cause my issue but still hesitated to do anything about it before getting my car tuned. its hard to say because since I first bought my car it had the rear o2 sensors removed and the o2 sensors on the headers were never connected (with the stock ls1 the car ran fine) after my head\cam\intake mod I started having the fuel dumping issue. now after installing the ls3 I installed 2 bosh front o2 sensors I'm still having the same issue (none in the rear tho is this relavent ? )
Old 07-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #206
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb110americana View Post
What year is your F-Body? I've read that the '98s have the regulator on the rail, while the '99+ have it by the tank. Either way, I would definitely get the engine tuned, even if it wasn't puking fuel. An LS3 is a different motor with different demands than the LS1, such as an 800 RPM greater redline. Careful not to light your ride on fire.
its a 1999 so the fuel regulator is in the tank (since I have the ls3 block with the oem fuel rail It doesn't have the ls1 fuel damper on it) also its a return less fuel setup. And the PCV on the driver side is plugged up,i never connected it to the other side valve cover is that a bad idea ?