UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #61
cam
TECH Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in the garage
Posts: 2,413
Default

Quote:
Is it just me or is VVT starting to catch on in the power spotlight? More companies are starting to make performance cams/phaser limiters, etc. I've begun to think that a fully functioning L92 with a cam, decent intake manifold, and a good bit of time on the dyno would make for an awesome combo. VVT is simply amazing from what I've read, allowing you to have nasty -turbo diesel power on the bottom end, and power to the point to where your intake doesn't flow well anymore.
Agreed there is a lot of potential on the table we should be using it
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #62
TECH Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtRardin View Post
Is it just me or is VVT starting to catch on in the power spotlight? More companies are starting to make performance cams/phaser limiters, etc. I've begun to think that a fully functioning L92 with a cam, decent intake manifold, and a good bit of time on the dyno would make for an awesome combo. VVT is simply amazing from what I've read, allowing you to have nasty -turbo diesel power on the bottom end, and power to the point to where your intake doesn't flow well anymore.

The downside is that you have to make your Fbody think it's a caddy... and your gauge cluster doesn't speak Cadillac I'd love to learn more about the process of swapping in a VVT Gen IV into an Fbody. There's a member on this board who has done just this, into a 96 firebird, and he says its nasty.

It would be the coolest thing ever to find out how to take a complete L92 and swap it in to an Fbody with the Caddy computer.
I did it. Build thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...d-formula.html
pillagenburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #63
8 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
3pedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WPG MB
Posts: 1,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTH MOTORS View Post
I used my 01 ls1 pcm to run the engine to keep the dash {gauges} working , used a (pantera efi pcm) any pcm that is used to add a extra 1 or 2 injectors will work , hook that to the 2 wires on the cam soloid , add pulse width retards the cam ,i am doing rpm based only , I haven dynoed yet but the truck runs good . If need more info 573-300-0785 jim
I want to utilize the vvt on a carb setup, could the VVT solenoid be controlled by using a simple window switch to apply voltage to the solenoid?
what voltage does the solenoid require to open? an msd window switch could be used pretty easy.
3pedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #64
cam
TECH Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in the garage
Posts: 2,413
Default

Do the lifters need to be changed on a non AFM engine too? Meaning it still has VVT but not AFM.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #65
TECH Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bothell
Posts: 432
Default

I see the recommendation is to remove the VVT oil pump and use a standard volume pump in f-bodies because of the oil pan set up. If im retaining the truck pan in my swap into an s-10, can I safely use the VVT/ L92 oil pump even though I have eliminated the VVT and gone to a standard cam? Non AFM motor too if that makes a difference.
dimetweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #66
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetweaker View Post
I see the recommendation is to remove the VVT oil pump and use a standard volume pump in f-bodies because of the oil pan set up. If im retaining the truck pan in my swap into an s-10, can I safely use the VVT/ L92 oil pump even though I have eliminated the VVT and gone to a standard cam? Non AFM motor too if that makes a difference.
Have you checked the pan ground clearance with the truck pan?
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #67
cam
TECH Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in the garage
Posts: 2,413
Default

Quote:
I see the recommendation is to remove the VVT oil pump and use a standard volume pump in f-bodies because of the oil pan set up.
Its not the oil pan set up as they both share the same capacity of 6 quarts its only nec for ground clearance and if your not retaining VVT then the oil pumps pressure is too high on the stock VVT pump and it must be changed. If you are retaining VVT and swapping to a camaro pan you still need to use the VVT higher pressure pump even with the Camaro pan or VVT wont work properly.

***EDIT*** I have since read on a few boards that the stock VVT oil pump is fine to use without VVT, BUT the AFM engines must have a new pump if converting over to an LS3 set up. Again just what i've read here and there so if in doubt? Swap it out

Last edited by cam; 05-19-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: UPDATED INFO
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #68
TECH Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bothell
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
Its not the oil pan set up as they both share the same capacity of 6 quarts its only nec for ground clearance and if your not retaining VVT then the oil pumps pressure is too high on the stock VVT pump and it must be changed. If you are retaining VVT and swapping to a camaro pan you still need to use the VVT higher pressure pump even with the Camaro pan or VVT wont work properly.
ah ****. thanks! So has anyone actually seen someone use this pump and had it cause problems with non vvt or is everyone guessing cus everyone elses brothers wifes cousins dad used one and it was a problem? I will say that ill just buy a stock ls3 pump and get it over with, but a very reputable vendor on here told me there was no doubt I could use it without a problem and that they had done so.

Last edited by dimetweaker; 02-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.
dimetweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #69
On The Tree
iTrader: (5)
 
PwrdbyLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Default

I though that only the VVT with AFM oil pump was not recommended into a Fbody who delete both. I though that VVT only oil pump can be used without problem... I'm in a building process of a LY6 VVT only, I will delete it and use the LY6 pump. Can someone confirm me there no problem using it?

Thanks
PwrdbyLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #70
TECH Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bothell
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrdbyLS1 View Post
I though that only the VVT with AFM oil pump was not recommended into a Fbody who delete both. I though that VVT only oil pump can be used without problem... I'm in a building process of a LY6 VVT only, I will delete it and use the LY6 pump. Can someone confirm me there no problem using it?

Thanks
BUMP!!! ... for this question...
dimetweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 8
Default l76 reply

hey i recently bought an 08 l76 motor and was looking to convert it to ls1 harness and front cover.. do you have any up to date part numbers. or a better way to avoid pulling crank for replacing reluctor wheel
jameso1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #72
Teching In
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 2
Default

I have a question about the cam/knock sensor extension harness. One side goes to knock sensor and one side goes to cam sensor. What do the two plugs in the middle go to?
ls_won25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #73
cam
TECH Addict
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in the garage
Posts: 2,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
Do the lifters need to be changed on a non AFM engine too? Meaning it still has VVT but not AFM.
Anyone? Weird conflicting info popping up about this I'd like to know for certain what the lifters are in a NON AFM/DOD L92?
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #74
9 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 793
Default

will a stock ls1 rear cover work on the ls3 block? i keep finding out about the front cover but would like to know if i can reuse the stock ls1 rear cover on the ls3 block.
bgblockelcamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #75
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (12)
 
camz28arro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 589
Default

What would the final conversion cost on a LS3 into a 99-02 LS1 M6 f-body be?

58x to 24x conversion box $250
Katech MAP adaptor $30
New LS1 highflow waterpump $125 (not necessary but recommended?)
new motor mounts $50
Oil pan gasket and pickup tube o-ring $40
FAST 90mm throttle body $250 used
LS2/LS7 Injector Connector Kit (part No. 8L480080000, $26
Knock sensor extension No. 1RX-LS2-KSRH, $25

anything missed? Total $796.00

It does seem pretty expensive after including the $6200 for the LS3 plus a g6x3 cam but the shock factor at shows and after races should make it all worth it.

$7500 for an LS7 killing 500rwhp and 450rwtq

Last edited by camz28arro; 04-11-2010 at 11:03 PM.
camz28arro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #76
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default Question?

Why is this on the list?

*12588670 LS2/LS3 Black Timing Chain Tensioner

I called up SDPC to order this part and they said that the hole spacing on the white and the black chain tensioner is different and that I would need to use the white one that came on the block.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #77
OWN3D BY MY PROF!
iTrader: (176)
 
Beaflag VonRathburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jax Beach, Florida
Posts: 9,155
Default

^ The little * means that if you are keeping active fuel management you need that.

This is the valley cover my L92 came with. Is this what I need to put it in my 98 Formula or do I need the other one?
Beaflag VonRathburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #78
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg View Post
^ The little * means that if you are keeping active fuel management you need that.

This is the valley cover my L92 came with. Is this what I need to put it in my 98 Formula or do I need the other one?
That's the same one I am using on my L92 w/ LS3 intake.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #79
TECH Addict
iTrader: (41)
 
TransWS6Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Battlecreek, MI / Mansfield, OH
Posts: 2,009
Default

anyone tried the racetronix knock sensor extension that uses the ls3 knock sensors instead of using the ls1 sensors. i ordered it we will see how the work out
TransWS6Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #80
OWN3D BY MY PROF!
iTrader: (176)
 
Beaflag VonRathburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jax Beach, Florida
Posts: 9,155
Default

I found out today that my search for the one missing bolt from my front cover has turned into a giant pain in the ***. I am on top of that missing the cam sensor, bracket, bolts, and wiring for that. I talked to the guys at SDPC and he is going to see what he can do in helping me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransWS6Am View Post
anyone tried the racetronix knock sensor extension that uses the ls3 knock sensors instead of using the ls1 sensors. i ordered it we will see how the work out
When I read this at first I didn't think much of it. Even when I looked at it on their site I though it was pointless. Then, I realized that if you can use the LS2 style knock sensors you don't have to tap the block for the larger older style sensors. I plan on ordering some also, but they won't let you buy them online. You have to email them.
Beaflag VonRathburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with gen IV L76 in gen III truck Cameroncbs Generation IV External Engine 2 02-05-2017 03:11 PM
Help with gen IV L76 in gen 3 truck please Cameroncbs Conversions & Hybrids 0 02-03-2017 09:17 PM
LS2 conversion info inside Alex L. Generation III Internal Engine 36 11-24-2015 01:05 PM
Oil pump "too big"? OverkillGTP Generation IV Internal Engine 11 07-30-2015 10:43 PM


Tags
02, 60, camshaft, carburetor, chevy, conversion, cover, lifter, liter, location, ls1, ls2, ls3, pan, position, sensor, valley

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: