UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body - Page 5 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

UPDATED- L92/L76/LS3 Engine Into 99-02 F-Body

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #81
TECH Addict
iTrader: (41)
 
TransWS6Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Battlecreek, MI / Mansfield, OH
Posts: 2,009
Default

i ordered mine online.... got them today. looks like the way it works is there is a ground off of each knock sensor plug that you have to ground to the block. pretty cool! now i dont have to drill and tap the block for the ls1 knock snesors.
TransWS6Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #82
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransWS6Am View Post
i ordered mine online.... got them today. looks like the way it works is there is a ground off of each knock sensor plug that you have to ground to the block. pretty cool! now i dont have to drill and tap the block for the ls1 knock snesors.
Can you post a pic? I'd rather wire it up myself and save a little.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #83
TECH Addict
iTrader: (41)
 
TransWS6Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Battlecreek, MI / Mansfield, OH
Posts: 2,009
Default

TransWS6Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #84
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransWS6Am View Post
Nice, then I assume the two wires that are not grounded converge into a connector that snaps onto the stock KS pigtail?
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #85
TECH Addict
iTrader: (41)
 
TransWS6Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Battlecreek, MI / Mansfield, OH
Posts: 2,009
Default

yup thats correct
TransWS6Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #86
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransWS6Am View Post
yup thats correct
Thanks a lot man! I already wired up my harness to have the 5-pin MAF pigtail, EV6 injector connectors, and now I'll have ks's wired correctly.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #87
OWN3D BY MY PROF!
iTrader: (176)
 
Beaflag VonRathburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jax Beach, Florida
Posts: 9,155
Default

^ Where are you getting these connectors by themselves from?
Beaflag VonRathburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #88
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg View Post
^ Where are you getting these connectors by themselves from?
I have harnesses everywhere. I build them.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #89
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison Wiscompton
Posts: 20
Default l76 truck motor with t56

What ecm am i suppose to use with this setup? the guy i bought the wiring harness and ecm from said it should work but its not starting.. and who can tune the one i have(c6 corvette ecm)? thanks
klablacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #90
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klablacka View Post
What ecm am i suppose to use with this setup? the guy i bought the wiring harness and ecm from said it should work but its not starting.. and who can tune the one i have(c6 corvette ecm)? thanks
Need much more info...

What vehicle do you have?
What vehicle did you get the L76 out of?
What modifications do you perform before you dropped the L76 in?
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #91
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison Wiscompton
Posts: 20
Default

its from a 07 suburban. going into my s13 240sx, i deleted the vvt and dod with Livernois's DOD delete kit hoping it would help me out. my mechanic is actually the reject behind all of this so im researching myself. thank you
klablacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #92
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klablacka View Post
its from a 07 suburban. going into my s13 240sx, i deleted the vvt and dod with Livernois's DOD delete kit hoping it would help me out. my mechanic is actually the reject behind all of this so im researching myself. thank you
Does the engine crank at all?
Did you tune VATS out of the PCM?
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #93
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison Wiscompton
Posts: 20
Default

It does crank. Before we got the livernois dod kit it would also crank and even start with brake fluid sprayed into the intake but it would run like crap and throw a code then shut off. i told him not to spray the intake again bc of what happened last time. the VATS is deleted
klablacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #94
Teching In
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison Wiscompton
Posts: 20
Default

We tried to get the pcm guy to tune in the vvt on the c6 pcm i was told "it took the burn." now that vvt is gone Im sure that could be a problem. i dont know who the tuner is exactly.. i think he said we got it from Howell something in Minnesota. We also tried to get him to tune the pcm the motor came with but since it was an automatic he said it couldn't be done?
klablacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #95
Teching In
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Default 1999 fbody LS1>LS3 conversion systems compatibility

Hello LS1tech,
I have seriously kicking around the notion of a LS1 to LS3 conversion. This site has provided a lot of good 'front-of-the-firewall' information. I am also curious about this conversion's compatibility with my stock gauges, the ABS, Airbags, fan, power options [doors,windows seat,]OBDII function{live in CA-have to pass smog & can't afford a sick ODBII system}. Some of the systems mention may be controller independent but I'm not aware of their status.

If you have some information about the answers to these questions I would really apreciate your site input. Thanks.
LS3" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #96
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3" View Post
Hello LS1tech,
I have seriously kicking around the notion of a LS1 to LS3 conversion. This site has provided a lot of good 'front-of-the-firewall' information. I am also curious about this conversion's compatibility with my stock gauges, the ABS, Airbags, fan, power options [doors,windows seat,]OBDII function{live in CA-have to pass smog & can't afford a sick ODBII system}. Some of the systems mention may be controller independent but I'm not aware of their status.

If you have some information about the answers to these questions I would really apreciate your site input. Thanks.
If you are using the LS1 PCM and wire harness that is already in your car now, your factory gauges will work as they should. If you are using a '98 harness, you need a '98 temp sensor (3 prong), '99-'02 harness needs a '99-'02 temp sensor (2 prong).
Fans are controlled by the PCM, retaining the same PCM will not affect fan function.
Similarly, all OBD2 functionality is contolled by the PCM. As long as you use factory manifolds, catalytic converters, all 4 o2 sensors, EVAP, EGR (if '98-'00 car), and AIR you should pass smog.
ABS and power options are controlled by the BCM, they are independent and will not be affected by the swap.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #97
Teching In
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks SS.SLP.LS1,

I was beginning to think this LS1 to LS3 conversion notion had too many unknowns making it either very costly or difficult to do right. I've checked and, here in CA, this conversion has to go by a smog referee.[referee is unnecessary if I installed a new LS1]. I'd like to get back to you, to run by a summary list of a my accumulated engine and computer/harness adaptations" that must be performed on the the LS3 and the 1999 fbody in order to suceed within budget & plan.

Last edited by LS3"; 06-22-2010 at 09:43 PM.
LS3" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #98
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3" View Post
Thanks SS.SLP.LS1,

I was beginning to think this LS1 to LS3 conversion notion had too many unknowns making it either very costly or difficult to do right. I've checked and, here in CA, this conversion has to go by a smog referee.[referee is unnecessary if I installed a new LS1]. I'd like to get back to you, to run by a summary list of a my accumulated engine and computer/harness adaptations" that must be performed on the the LS3 and the 1999 fbody in order to suceed within budget & plan.
I'm actually selling a cammed, bolt-on LS3, modified LS1 harness to use on the LS3 and a based tuned PCM for the swap.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #99
On The Tree
iTrader: (5)
 
PwrdbyLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Default

Anyone tried late LS2 4x timing cover, if they read 2x cam gear? They supposedly to be able to read it as said on the first post.

Thanks!
PwrdbyLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #100
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 308
Default

Is there any issues doing a l92 swap in a 98? 98 PCM wise?
And what about the timing chain and cover? I have a complete pull out l92 from a 08 escalade? It has the flat valley cover?
BLOWN SS/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with gen IV L76 in gen III truck Cameroncbs Generation IV External Engine 2 02-05-2017 03:11 PM
Help with gen IV L76 in gen 3 truck please Cameroncbs Conversions & Hybrids 0 02-03-2017 09:17 PM
LS2 conversion info inside Alex L. Generation III Internal Engine 36 11-24-2015 01:05 PM
Oil pump "too big"? OverkillGTP Generation IV Internal Engine 11 07-30-2015 10:43 PM


Tags
02, 60, camshaft, carburetor, chevy, conversion, cover, lifter, liter, location, ls1, ls2, ls3, pan, position, sensor, valley

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: