Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9
View Poll Results: which heads for 440ci stroker? touched up TFS 235cc heads or touched up GM LS7 heads?
hand touched up TFS 235cc heads.
51.13%
hand touched up GM LS7 heads.
48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

which heads for 440ci stroker? TFS 235cc or GM LS7 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fafnir

or the new GM LSX-DR heads that are just released might not be a bad idea
Are these available yet? 430 cfm int and 280+ cfm exh....they sound awesome.

Have you heard about a price?

its true that some guy and his 402 will pull on you when you're both at 2k or even 3k rpm
You think with a 451ci, sheet metal intake.....you'll get pulled down low by a 402ci? Cars being equal.
I guess after about 2 seconds on the pedal you'll be flying by them anyway, so................

6L90 instead of a 4L80 or something
4L80E is what I have.

Whats the 6L90? Never heard of it.

[quote]
e.g. can you imagine 600rwhp on a milder/mid cam?

or 700rwhp with a mid/wild cam?
What cam would you use for a roll racer 451ci like I'm talking about with a sheet metal set-up and ported LS7 heads or the LSX-DR heads? Not shake your fillings out lopey, but driveable without getting annoyed, but still aggressive.

a used sheetmetal intake can be had for pretty cheap from those who are just not feeling the conversion, especially from the guys with smaller displacement
Yeah, Wilson is 6 miles from my house. I've seen used ones for sale around this area.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what displacement were you running? gotta go big or go high rpm, airflow must be there to play this game
on my current 454.

hey, i made the same choice as you, selected the TFS 235's by TEA and a FAST over an LS7 even if it made less power altogether, and a mild cam because guess what

its a street car
It wont make less power with TFS heads if done properly. You made a good choice.

giant displacement can make all your problems go away you know
false.

but yes its all what its cracked up to be if you lived for nothing be roll races, hence the original topic

but for a street car, unless you had >480ci or something, its going to hurt driveability, obviously
It hurts drivability in any amount of CI.

if you think you only lose low end torque, you're mistaken. be prepared to lose atleast 50 peak rwtq. what sheet metal intake have you run on a big cubed motor to be making all these accusations about big motors and sheetmetal intakes?

just wondering.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

you're not gonna get 700 rw without a SR setup and serious compression.

ls7 or not....
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
you're not gonna get 700 rw without a SR setup and serious compression.

ls7 or not....
what is SR?

thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Abdullah - "what is SR"

-SR is Solid Roller.

But with the argument on these sheet metal intakes I think you HAVE to have a SR to see the real gains especially if it's a street car, roll racing or not. Someone was talking about spining 7.5k with it but that is barely getting into the area where a sheetmetal will shine. I'm sure jermzz has some good reasons for going back to a FAST and I bet it will be an all around better performing car than with the sheet metal (even with a massive 454).

I haven't seen a lot of #'s on the Beck mainfold but I have seen a few people ditch it and go back to a FAST. IMO the wilson manifold looks like crap when you look down the middle of it, and I had a friend recently run it on a 427 build that made horrible #'s.

I think some of the people in this thread are thinking a donkey dick cam with massive heads and a sheet metal intake will produce the "end all" motor. I used to think like that too, until I realized that real world results were not what was to be expected and I think most tuners on here have seen the same thing. The only way to make that stuff work is to turn some SERIOUS rpm, and just upgrading to a SR and shaft mounted rockers isn't going to cut it.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transAm-98
Abdullah - "what is SR"

-SR is Solid Roller.

But with the argument on these sheet metal intakes I think you HAVE to have a SR to see the real gains especially if it's a street car, roll racing or not. Someone was talking about spining 7.5k with it but that is barely getting into the area where a sheetmetal will shine. I'm sure jermzz has some good reasons for going back to a FAST and I bet it will be an all around better performing car than with the sheet metal (even with a massive 454).

I haven't seen a lot of #'s on the Beck mainfold but I have seen a few people ditch it and go back to a FAST. IMO the wilson manifold looks like crap when you look down the middle of it, and I had a friend recently run it on a 427 build that made horrible #'s.

I think some of the people in this thread are thinking a donkey dick cam with massive heads and a sheet metal intake will produce the "end all" motor. I used to think like that too, until I realized that real world results were not what was to be expected and I think most tuners on here have seen the same thing. The only way to make that stuff work is to turn some SERIOUS rpm, and just upgrading to a SR and shaft mounted rockers isn't going to cut it.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

People talk and talk and talk but they've never actually done.

I've already done what this thread is talking about, and let me tell you, guys you're sadly mistaken
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

where as if you had bigger, lets say a 467 or a 472 or a 481, of course this number will go even lower and therefore give you more rpm before you have to shift
Those have some pretty long strokes for high rpm's, right? Piston speed?

One of the meanest roll racers I've ever seen is a local car. An iron 422ci + 300 shot. 535 RWHP N/A and 880 RWHP on spray, not sure of the torque. WS6 T/A, 6 speed. The engine was built in 2003 and the spray was added in 2005. FAST intake. I would think an engine built today could have close to 600 RWHP, maybe 625, plus that same 300 shot and just stay with the plastic intake like the ported LS7. I guess with a 2-stage 300 shot, you can have your N/A car, your N/A car plus a 150 shot and than the full 300 shot. Thats probably the best of all worlds, without getting mixed up with this sheet metal, SR, high compression issues.

Now I see why Forced Induction is so popular.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

depending on what you mean by drivability

my definition is more or less the feel and also if it stalls at 2k rpm for no reason, etc

just because it loses insane power down low doesn't mean it loses out on drivability

but lose too much and then yes, it will definitely not be as drivable
My manifold makes the bucking worse for sure. But more importantly the heat soak was totally messing with the tuning. He kept adding more fuel and taking more fuel away depending on how hot the manifold was cause it was such a drastic change from hot to cold. not desirable for a street car that normally would have a composit manifold that's not a big heat sinc.

i don't understand how the hell you could lose 50 rwtq unless somehow you're not really revving it up that high or something

what were you revving the motor to?
read this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/941736-fast-92-question.html

specifically post #20 #21 from Jeff. He has the same results as I did. I'm not making this stuff up to start and argument with you. I learned the hard way these manifolds are for street cars. They're for drag cars that do a 1/4 mile at a time.

at first i made the same mistake you made, with a motor that i had no plans whatsoever to spin higher than 7k, was a 402

lost power everywhere, except at right around 7k or so

then felt stupid once i ran into a guy that had a wilson billet manifold with 454ci

i tried his car and it didn't have nearly as many problems as mine,

came to the conclusion that:

A. there something wrong with the manifold

or

B. his engine is somehow different

so later on when a buddy of mine built a 467 motor, he took my sheetmetal manifold that i paid 3k for, and he took for free, and later when the car was finished, i tried it, and again, wasn't nearly as bad as mine

his motor with all jesel stuff spun to 8.5k rpm

and because he got the manifold for free, i made him back to back compare his ported fast 90 that he originally was going to use against my old sheetmetal

lost power under 5k but started picking up near the top, actually picked up ~50hp or so at 7k or so

engine had a mid cam in it, solid roller setup, etc

never ran across a 481 personally but i can only surmise based on this experience that the larger the displacement and the greater the airflow, it can only get better as the fast starts hitting its limits or something

during this entire time, i was busy getting my current motor built, a 4.185x4 oversquare setup, short deck, TEA/TFS 235's, mild cam, quiet exhaust, ported fast 92, etc

i can say for a fact that although he only has ~25ci more than me, his top end is unreal vs mine

you can blame that on the cam, etc

but i think the manifold had something to do with it

dyno compares against a ported fast can't be wrong

and don't get me wrong, i have nothing bad to say about my current TFS 235 setup, its just i know there's power that i'm not making compared to the less drivable stuff, besides i know for a fact i'm looking for a street setup, hence the mild cam, which btw i'd gladly recommend to anyone

but hey, roll race right?
Post up the graph, I'd like to see.

what kind of oil setup was he running to spin to 8.5k?

beck, hogan, and wilson

i've now tried them all - in various cars around me
so you must work at a shop or something? I've seen a lof of stuff around me, too. But not every type of sheet metal intake on big cubed motors. Sounds like you have a lot of money flying around you.

LS7 won't cut it, but something more extreme will

12:1 isn't too much to ask for right? with a 4.250 or 4.5 stroke you should be pretty close to that anyways right?

but hey, whats wrong with spinning the motor high with SR?
Now you're talking about more things that add to non street car applications. You're taking a sheet metal which i've learned isnt all that streetable, adding a solled roller setup which isn't street friendly at all either, adding a huge stroke, which after about 4.125 I would guess starts decreasing engine life due to flutter, etc Pumping up the compression to where it cant run on pump gas, and putting it in a motor you plan on primarily running on the street roll racing.

sure, you can do it, but are you honeslty gonna try to pass that as streetable?

and i'm willing to bet, even a 12:1 481 ci sollid roller with a beck sheetmetal, as god damn unstreetable as that would be, would still come shy of 700rw.

Last edited by jermzz; 11-04-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Those have some pretty long strokes for high rpm's, right? Piston speed?

One of the meanest roll racers I've ever seen is a local car. An iron 422ci + 300 shot. 535 RWHP N/A and 880 RWHP on spray, not sure of the torque. WS6 T/A, 6 speed. The engine was built in 2003 and the spray was added in 2005. FAST intake. I would think an engine built today could have close to 600 RWHP, maybe 625, plus that same 300 shot and just stay with the plastic intake like the ported LS7. I guess with a 2-stage 300 shot, you can have your N/A car, your N/A car plus a 150 shot and than the full 300 shot. Thats probably the best of all worlds, without getting mixed up with this sheet metal, SR, high compression issues.

Now I see why Forced Induction is so popular.

This was my goal from day 1. I ended up getting a sheetmetal, then learning the hard way that it's the wrong way to go about it.

Now I have a ported fast 90 combo, making 600rw, streetable, with a huge dual stage shot coming. IMO, for a street car, it can't get any sweeter.

PS: I also do a lot of roll racing, and dig racing and drive my gilrfriend places in the car on the weekend. It's a completely streetable 600rw car now that when I spray will be a f*cking monster.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

This was my goal from day 1. I ended up getting a sheetmetal, then learning the hard way that it's the wrong way to go about it.

Now I have a ported fast 90 combo, making 600rw, streetable, with a huge dual stage shot coming. IMO, for a street car, it can't get any sweeter.

PS: I also do a lot of roll racing, and dig racing and drive my gilrfriend places in the car on the weekend. It's a completely streetable 600rw car now that when I spray will be a f*cking monster.
It seems that sheet metal type design intake, but made from plastic, would be a great product.

Yeah, the monster N/A engine with a 300 shot is a nice roll racer. But damn, I guess after all the BS of trying to get the best of all worlds, dropping a small single turbo kit on a 383 or something would give you 1,000 RWHP too.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

giant displacement can make all your problems go away you know

"The only thing that beats cubic inches is rectangular dollars (or euros or yen)."
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

auto or manual? and what stall?
RPM 6 speed.

never said it was desirable, but streetable yes

in all of my threads, look at what i'm running, a TFS 235 setup, ultra mild cam, etc

but having tried the stuff i can say some have made it work and work well, you can't just say they're all terrible products or something

they do require a lot of work and are not as easy to work with as a plastic manifold, but there ARE gains to be had if you worked it all out
True, but for a true street car, I see more loss then gain. that's all.

daily dry sump, all billet accessory brackets, relocated ac pump to PS pump location, electric steering
sounds like a good setup to me. for a race car lol

and thats before the geared cam drive and the roller cam bearings start happening

never said these things are all street friendly

i see what the now why we're arguing

your idea of roll racing is with your daily driver, occasionally as you go about daily life, meet a moron in a ricebox with 1000 shot nos and a motor that has less in it than a 2L bottle of pepsi, be able to beat the crap outta him without you even shifting hard

for that, TFS 235 or LS7 heads all the way, plastic manifold, mid cam, hydraulic rollers, maybe mild spray if you wanna be sure

but my definition of roll racing is with my weekend car, meet up at night on a weekend [...edited out to remove street racing content...] and then once monday comes, drive my daily and then pretend nothing ever happened, etc

which yes, all of that stuff becomes "streetable", all it has to do is to idle right and get me there right?

but to the original point, if the car was a daily, then no all of this would be a bad idea of course, in which case someone's takeoff LS7 motor would most likely be a good bet with a cam swap or something
my car is really just a weekend warrior, too. But along with racing for cash, roll racing in the local scene, etc... I like to be able to take my girlfriend out to dinner, and wherever else we wanna go and have her enjoy the ride, power, listen to the stereo, and not have a problem with the car running funky, bucking like crazy, being horribly nasty loud, and annoying so on, so forth.

all this pushing 950 rwhp at the push of a button to run away from any street bike[ 8URGSXR ] ricer, vette, etc in my way.

this is what I have right now with a Fast and it's great. my girlfriend loves going in it, it's fast as ****, looks good, sounds good. Can't be any happier.

for someone who wants to take the car out only for racing, then come back and park it, then sure. you could do all that, but it defeats the purpose of turning the car into a street car. It's still a street car none the less, but it's just a track car driven on the street. It's just a preference.

I'll take my street car out and whoop on track cars for fun, then drive my car to the city for a night of fun.

And I think that's most people's dreams for their car, other then people who want strictly race cars. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

its not hard to do at all, try running a vacuum pump or a dry sump kit and then spec the rest of the components right and it should yield more than that

and the reason you can't run your 12:1 setup on pump gas may have something to do with piston design and cam selection
DCR plays a big role too, you ideally want them both high as possible on the lowest octane rating. I'm no cam expert, but I believe pumping up the SCR pumps up the DCR too, and I think around 12:1 brings up the DCR past 9.0 which is a bit high for a desireable pump gas 9x octane car. Not sure on that though. have to ask someone like patrickG or one of those guys.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

now i'm 100% convinced to go with the hand touched up TFS 235cc and ported Fast 92mm intake manifold for a 441ci LS7 short block 4.125" bore and 4.125" stroke. looks like the hand touched up GM LS7 heads and ported GM LS7 intake manifold is not that streetble.

OK, i want to set the compression at 11:1 , i don't want the compression to go too high to not encounter overheating problems.

what would be a good cam choice for a 441ci LS7 with TFS 235cc and Fast 92mm intake manifold?

shall i go with a big cam? or mid or mild cam?

i want to be in the 600rwhp area.

another question is :

how to cool the 441ci LS7 above? shall i go with bigger radiator and stronger fans?

what radiator and fans do you recommend to cool the 441ci LS7 above? will the radiator and fans fit in the car without space problem?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abdullah
now i'm 100% convinced to go with the hand touched up TFS 235cc and ported Fast 92mm intake manifold for a 441ci LS7 short block 4.125" bore and 4.125" stroke. looks like the hand touched up GM LS7 heads and ported GM LS7 intake manifold is not that streetble.

OK, i want to set the compression at 11:1 , i don't want the compression to go too high to not encounter overheating problems.

what would be a good cam choice for a 441ci LS7 with TFS 235cc and Fast 92mm intake manifold?

another question is :

how to cool the 441ci LS7 above? shall i go with bigger radiator and stronger fans?

what radiator and fans do you recommend to cool the 441ci LS7 above? will the radiator and fans fit in the car without space problem?
Just use the factory cooling system, if its working properly it will do just fine. My cooling system is 100% factory stock and my 427ci (11.3:1 cr) runs so friggin cool its crazy. No matter how hard I beat on it. A 441ci isn't going to be any different.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people have issues with the factory cooling some don't. My iron block running almost 12:1 has zero issues with the stock cooling system and hovers bewtween 170/180
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

subscribed
Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

another question is :

Talk to your engine builder about a cam to reach your goals. I tell you though, it aint gonne be small. It's gonna be upper 250's - mid to high 260's. and I still say go to 245's. You're ptobably gonna want the heads milled to a 68cc ish area. 11.1 is a pretty low compression. you can run up to 11.8 just fine to get that extra power while you're in there, and you'll be still running on pump gas.

as for cooling..I've got an 11.8:1 454 on completely stock cooling down to the water pump and it never over heats. So you'll be fine with whatever compression you choose, but if you wanted that extra safety, you could always get a BE cool radiator and a EWP to help you out.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talk to your engine builder about a cam to reach your goals. I tell you though, it aint gonne be small. It's gonna be upper 250's - mid to high 260's. and I still say go to 245's. You're ptobably gonna want the heads milled to a 68cc ish area. 11.1 is a pretty low compression. you can run up to 11.8 just fine to get that extra power while you're in there, and you'll be still running on pump gas.

as for cooling..I've got an 11.8:1 454 on completely stock cooling down to the water pump and it never over heats. So you'll be fine with whatever compression you choose, but if you wanted that extra safety, you could always get a BE cool radiator and a EWP to help you out.
you have GM LSX iron block in your car, correct?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
9 Second Club

what kind of mods you did to your car?

are the L92 heads you have stage 1?
what are the cam specs?

thanks.
not sure what stage
Cam specs-Cartek custom grind
sorry not too much help with those questions
I have all the basic bolt on susupension stuff th350 trans 8"vert
compr ratio is around 13:1

Although I do drive it on the street, I certainly wouldn't drive it everyday, basically to the track, shop and occasional car show.
set up is probably a bit much for what you want it for.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

check out this video at youtube, it is for heads/cam C6 Z06 Vs. LS1 turbo camaro :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Avn...eature=related

Quick Reply: which heads for 440ci stroker? TFS 235cc or GM LS7 heads?