Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4g63tmirage
Anybody & everybody has or can make a BBC fast, But to go fast with a LSX thats making 1000 to 1100 hp N/A.... Now that is something. We should be part of the 1000+ N/A hp club here soon...........

scot
Scot,

Didn't your build end up making over 1000hp?

what's the latest news on the car, .. any test dates on that 1000hp monster?

c
Old 03-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Teching In

wow, noticed this thread, thought I would show you some of what this head has become. We looked at this head for the ADRL 400 inch and NHRA B/.A.We worked with WJ and revised the ports and had Edelbrock cast up 20 sets of what they now call the Edelbrock "Big Johnson" LS head. They are 8-degree heads and flow considerably over 500 cfm.
This motor is expected to make over 1200 hp and turn over 11,000 rpms
This head is absolutely the best option for NA applications

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-v4u2up8l.jpg
New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-rr5u9qyl.jpg

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-y2qelu5l.jpg

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-mi7ptoul.jpg

here is the Dart 10 degree and the Edelbrock Big Johnson. Its taller. This head is a Fuel injection head only , with the port design and chamber it would blow the boster out of a carb.

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-hxpwrcfl.jpg
New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-j8im1jvl.jpg

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-csmxbafl.jpg
The cam tunnel is as big as the main

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-rrg9yf2l.jpg

the lifter bores have to be moved and bank angles changes for 11,000 rpms

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-eucwvjml.jpg

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-jva9lmal.jpg

New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head-bhrjeipl.jpg

Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Glad to see you still at it.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Hogue
wow, noticed this thread, thought I would show you some of what this head has become. We looked at this head for the ADRL 400 inch and NHRA B/.A.We worked with WJ and revised the ports and had Edelbrock cast up 20 sets of what they now call the Edelbrock "Big Johnson" LS head. They are 8-degree heads and flow considerably over 500 cfm.
This motor is expected to make over 1200 hp and turn over 11,000 rpms
This head is absolutely the best option for NA applications.....
Which rocker arm set-ups will these heads support, what are the intake manifold options and what are the bore requirements?

Thx!

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 03-06-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Banned

KW Barka, Greg's a great person and we've spoken on a few occasions.

They sell the intake for Carb. or EFI.
Not-a-sponsor.com

Build with special rocker arm. Bore size was open but needed to be at or under 400ci.
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2413506

Almost forgot the heads, Gregs are a special version vs what the consumer purchases. Hence 450cfm vs 500cfm.Also i don't think the regular head will have or use the special rocker bar like Greg used in the build thread.
Not-a-sponsor.com

Last edited by KCS; 03-06-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Non Sponsor Links Removed
Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Greg's engine is nearly 100% custom. The intake manifold, rockers, rocker stands, valve locations, pistons, block, lifter placement, camshaft core, etc., etc., etc. are ALL custom pieces that are designed by WJ and/or the parts manufacturer.

Nothing about these heads translate into an engine you can build with "off-the-shelf" parts.

If you have the time, knowledge, resources and most likely A LOT of money, you can build one for yourself.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Banned

It's nice that they have the entire induction system now, with cnc ported heads and intake to match. KCS is SDPC allowed as a site for reference for the heads?

Early version with intake.
https://www.enginelabs.com/news/cpr-...roller-ls-468/
Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smokey B
KW Barka, Greg's a great person and we've spoken on a few occasions.

They sell the intake for Carb. or EFI.
Not-a-sponsor.com

Build with special rocker arm. Bore size was open but needed to be at or under 400ci.
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2413506

Almost forgot the heads, Gregs are a special version vs what the consumer purchases. Hence 450cfm vs 500cfm.Also i don't think the regular head will have or use the special rocker bar like Greg used in the build thread.
Not-a-sponsor.com
Thanks for trying to help, Smokey!

Seriously, though.....I don't see why there's an issue with posting a link to a non-sponsor if that vendor is selling parts not produced or sold by sponsors.

Jus' sayin'....

KW
Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Banned

Search

Edelbrock 770468 - CYL HEAD CHEVY LS E-CNC VICTOR LSR GEN III-IV
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

It's nice that they have the entire induction system now, with cnc ported heads and intake to match. KCS is SDPC allowed as a site for reference for the heads?

Early version with intake.
https://www.enginelabs.com/news/cpr-...roller-ls-468/
If you can find them under the Vendor Directory tab, then you can post whatever info and links you want to.

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Thanks for trying to help, Smokey!

Seriously, though.....I don't see why there's an issue with posting a link to a non-sponsor if that vendor is selling parts not produced or sold by sponsors.

Jus' sayin'....

KW
If we didn't have sponsors that also produced cylinder heads (TSP/PRC) and intake manifolds (BTR), it would probably be ok. Like the policy states, there isn't any problem with discussing stuff like this. You can post pics, specs, etc. like Greg did, you just can't post links to the stuff with the pricing, contact info, etc. on it if it is not a vendor, like Lil Jon did.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Teching In

You guys are a ball of laughs. can you mention GM

These heads will still bolt to a stock Dart Next block and use all the stock cam location. We needed to turn this motor over 11,000 rpms so the extensive valvetrain work. These heads are for maximum effort Natural aspirated engine. We will probably catch the clutch above 9,000 rpms so they are no in any form or fashion designed for anything else. The combustion chamber is way to fast for any power adder.
I was asked why all the work on casting when billet would be dramatically easier. Fact is in NA gasoline engine development billet will simply not work. You need water around the chamber and plug and even where water is machined in to billet, it will not transfer the heat fast enough. You only have to look at the 500 inch DRCE IV head which is a chunk of plate aluminum with a part number its 30 hp down on the exact same design in a casting.

I'll post more pictures in the future, This motor has taken twice as long and way over budget but it will be the pinnacle of LS NA engines when finished.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

https://sdparts.com/i-24117071-edelb...iABEgL1Y_D_BwE
Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS
If you can find them under the Vendor Directory tab, then you can post whatever info and links you want to.

If we didn't have sponsors that also produced cylinder heads (TSP/PRC) and intake manifolds (BTR), it would probably be ok. Like the policy states, there isn't any problem with discussing stuff like this. You can post pics, specs, etc. like Greg did, you just can't post links to the stuff with the pricing, contact info, etc. on it if it is not a vendor, like Lil Jon did.
….Seriously, though.....I don't see why there's an issue with posting a link to a non-sponsor if that vendor is selling parts not produced or sold by sponsors.....
Jus' sayin'....

KW
Old 03-09-2019, 12:59 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Jus' sayin'....

KW
Edelbrock makes cylinder heads and manifolds; paying vendors make cylinder heads and manifolds. It’s as simple as that.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS

Edelbrock makes cylinder heads and manifolds; paying vendors make cylinder heads and manifolds. It’s as simple as that.
My bad....I thought we were talkin' about parts to support 'unique' Edelbrock heads.....

Which rocker arm set-ups will these heads support, what are the intake manifold options and what are the bore requirements?
Now…..if he provided answers that did not pertain to my questions...…

KW
Old 03-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Thx!

KW
OK ill start by running throught the specs I can share
The bore on the Dart Next Block is 4.220 and can on iron block go to 4.230. With a CG block it can go bigger. If you look close at the blocks the water passages are no longer through the front of the block. This was somthing that WJ and Richard Maskin worked out. The blocks can go as low as 8.800 beck but with fuel injection we didn't go there. The rod to stroke in these motors are way longer then any NA deal I have ever been involved with.
The rockers bodys are off the shelf Crower 2.0 with stands that Tommy did under the tutalage of WJ. The math to build these stands hurts my head but Tommy learned enought that all new head designs go to him to design rockers form Crower.
The rings are stupid small . .023 or less.
Rods are Carralio and pistons are CP. rings are Total seal
Crank is 3.55 windburg

the valves are huge on intaqke side and smaller then stock on exhaust.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Banned

You know i luv your right? So the cgi block is the bigger bore block. The guy with "spinal tap" the high rpm LSX block is the only one i've seen with a .250 overbore. Thanks again! Saved me a phone call for the knowledge. Was talking to Eric @ HPR about his bigger Ls engines so, a tall deck really big bore maybe a option, or what you have Greg with a bigger stroke with deck options.

Last edited by Smokey B; 03-09-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Teching In

You know i luv your right? So the cgi block is the bigger bore block. The guy with "spinal tap" the high rpm LSX block is the only one i've seen with a .250 overbore. Thanks again! Saved me a phone call for the knowledge. Was talking to Eric @ HPR about his bigger Ls engines so, a tall deck really big bore maybe a option, or what you have Greg with a bigger stroke with deck options.
The Dart next iron block will go 4.250 or bigger bore, and the CG block even bigger than that. but this engine program was to make the most hp at 400 cid. I will promise this will be the highest rpm LS based engine ever. I feel that with these cylinder heads and a bigger arm say a 4.25 your right at 500 cid and if there was a place where a small block LS had a weight break then it would be a cool piece. Myself I would stick a 4-inch arm and make 450 cid at 1300 hp on gasoline.
On air flow, These heads are efficient and make every last hp possible when leaned on. The CFM is well over 500 on a conservative bench but that is not the entire story, its also about loading the chamber and achieving a homogeneous mixture.
This motor will likely see one of the LS fests and set the record for NA LS engines. We feel that the car will run in the 6.750 to 6.80 range

we have been testing the car with a pratice engine but its neat to hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXU...FKrH9ihzmJAjpw

Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

OK ill start by running throught the specs I can share...…..
Thanks Greg!!!

KW
Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

We have been testing the car with a pratice engine but its neat to hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXXU...FKrH9ihzmJAjpw
Greg,
Is the “test engine” in that vette from the video also an Edelbrock LSR? It sounds so damn good.

Quick Reply: New: Edelbrock Splayed Valve Head