Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427 carnage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the support everyone.

Currently i'm going to have an LSX 427 built. I'm looking at getting a LSX block at the moment, and was told by a sponsor that some of the earlier blocks had some issues with them that were later corrected. I'm wondering with what production number are when the changes were implemented, and what exactly were the problems that were corrected. I hope someone knows!

Thanks,
Adrian

Last edited by Haans249; 01-29-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Looks like mine did, like someone threw a grenade in the lower end. At least you were able to get the main caps off.. BTW, I got $35 for my block..

If you are considering something new, there are 2 great builders in michigan, both from the former W2W. PM sent. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
Sorry to hear about that. Looks like mine did, like someone threw a grenade in the lower end. At least you were able to get the main caps off.. BTW, I got $35 for my block..

If you are considering something new, there are 2 great builders in michigan, both from the former W2W. PM sent. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, I'm working with Billy Briggs on the motor build! Have an extra LSX block you want to sell? haha.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haans249
thanks for the tip, i'm working with billy briggs on the motor build! Have an extra lsx block you want to sell? Haha.
edit.

Last edited by Stang's Bane; 01-29-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: I inserted foot in mouth...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Haans249
Thanks for the support everyone.

Currently i'm going to have an LSX 427 built. I'm looking at getting a LSX block at the moment, and was told by a sponsor that some of the earlier blocks had some issues with them that were later corrected. I'm wondering with what production number are when the changes were implemented, and what exactly were the problems that were corrected. I hope someone knows!

Thanks,
Adrian
Anyone know?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Need the info, if any vendors know, please chime in!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I heard was that the machining was not good, which means there is no visual way tell a good one. Furthermore, as far as I know they never issued a improved version, so they may not be any. The 09 GMPP parts catalog is full of "NEW" items that they have not released. Lots of the "NEW" LSx stuff doesn't even have proposed release date.
With all that is going on in Motown the HP gear is likely in low gear.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Haans, you probably had an older SCAT Billet LS1 crank (big money!) which had always been made wrong with the thrust almost nonexistant actually from the beginning. All the mains actually looked the same you couldn't even tell main # 3 even was the thrust! I called SCAT maybe 5 times about it and got hung up on once and also told I just didn't know what I was talking about! Hahahahahaha!

I also told the owner Tom Lieb at PRI as well and showed him some correctly made LSx cranks on display from Lunati and GM and Eagle etc. and he was certainly rather perplexed and they took the Billet crank they had on display down. The newer cranks they just released have a normal thrust now on them and they work fine besides initially using regular GM flywheel bolts instead of the oem metric GM LSx ones.

Most of the "high end" builders up there where you are from were using those billets a lot! I always knew how ignorant the builder was when I asked him about those SCAT billet cranks. I had a guy actually fix those right down here or I wouldn't use them. I have a bunch of pics from some of them before and after welding and fixing the rear thrust to be at least as wide as the bearing flange.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thats some great information right there. I can't believe they were that "annoyed" at some VERY important information lol. I'm not sure if it was a big money billet crank, because it also had a cheap chinese repo reluctor wheel on it, and it didn't look anything special by far. It was actually a rather bland looking piece, but that doesn't mean anything. The crank was also out of spec with the 7/8 rod journal being about 20thou too wide, and a few of the main journals being out of spec.

You are right, the thrust walls were maybe half the width of the bearing flange, ridiculous.

Originally Posted by racer7088
Haans, you probably had an older SCAT Billet LS1 crank (big money!) which had always been made wrong with the thrust almost nonexistant actually from the beginning. All the mains actually looked the same you couldn't even tell main # 3 even was the thrust! I called SCAT maybe 5 times about it and got hung up on once and also told I just didn't know what I was talking about! Hahahahahaha!

I also told the owner Tom Lieb at PRI as well and showed him some correctly made LSx cranks on display from Lunati and GM and Eagle etc. and he was certainly rather perplexed and they took the Billet crank they had on display down. The newer cranks they just released have a normal thrust now on them and they work fine besides initially using regular GM flywheel bolts instead of the oem metric GM LSx ones.

Most of the "high end" builders up there where you are from were using those billets a lot! I always knew how ignorant the builder was when I asked him about those SCAT billet cranks. I had a guy actually fix those right down here or I wouldn't use them. I have a bunch of pics from some of them before and after welding and fixing the rear thrust to be at least as wide as the bearing flange.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah they used to all be like that!

Thankfully the new ones they are doing are nice regular deals that work just great. I regularly and routinely use Callies, Eagle, SCAT, and Lunati, mostly but really never have trouble with any of them. Sometimes I have a very high end local crank guy trim them or straighten them a little but I have not had a real crank problem in 7 years now with any of the steel cranks that couldn't be fixed pretty easily besides those old SCAT deals. I paid about 150.00 to fix those or more.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by racer7088
Yeah they used to all be like that!

Thankfully the new ones they are doing are nice regular deals that work just great. I regularly and routinely use Callies, Eagle, SCAT, and Lunati, mostly but really never have trouble with any of them. Sometimes I have a very high end local crank guy trim them or straighten them a little but I have not had a real crank problem in 7 years now with any of the steel cranks that couldn't be fixed pretty easily besides those old SCAT deals. I paid about 150.00 to fix those or more.
Thats why i just scrapped the crank. No sense in wasting money to get it repaired as who knows what else may have been wrong with it. It also took some odd flywheel bolts, as in the thread was different from stock and thought that was strange.

Quick Reply: 427 carnage