Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Q on Timing chain slack

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Q on Timing chain slack

I assembled my shortblock this weekend with a new GM gear set and GM LS2 chain and LS2 tensioner. It looked to me like I had excessive slack in the chain so I took some measurements. The Block was used so I dont know a history on a line bore but it was line HONED when I installed the stud girdle. Anyway, With the slack taken out of one side, I can measure .160 of gap between the tensioner and the chain. I put a degree wheel on the crank and measured 2 deg. of movement between slack on both sides. I never checked slack on anything before so I dont know whats normal. I know there are line bore sets, just wanting to get some imput as to whether or not I have slack that would warrant this. Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have the same issue with the ls2 chain,but i reused my 14k mile gears,they looked like new.so i did a search here it seems to be a common issue with the stock components.they mentioned after market chain sets are tighter.i dont know how much is too much.im use to the tighter gen 1 timing sets.i also put the original used 14k mile lq4 chain back on,same results.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
I assembled my shortblock this weekend with a new GM gear set and GM LS2 chain and LS2 tensioner. It looked to me like I had excessive slack in the chain so I took some measurements. The Block was used so I dont know a history on a line bore but it was line HONED when I installed the stud girdle. Anyway, With the slack taken out of one side, I can measure .160 of gap between the tensioner and the chain. I put a degree wheel on the crank and measured 2 deg. of movement between slack on both sides. I never checked slack on anything before so I dont know whats normal. I know there are line bore sets, just wanting to get some imput as to whether or not I have slack that would warrant this. Thanks!!
Your going to have to degree the camshaft in, and see how much the slack in your t/c throws the cam timing/valve events off. Then make a decision on replace it or not.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If this slack is a problem with the stock set, what single chain setup is noted for running tighter? Does the Katech set resolve this? Others?
I noticed that TR has a Manley set thats advertised at .005 shorter for $160. Anyone use one of these yet?

Last edited by DAVESS02; 02-04-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

If this slack is a problem with the stock set, what single chain setup is noted for running tighter? Does the Katech set resolve this? Others?
I noticed that TR has a Manley set thats advertised at .005 shorter for $160. Anyone use one of these yet?
Try a new t/c set 1st, if still tons of slack order the .005 shorter one.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

The chains are purposefully looser from gm to allow the robotics to install them as I was told by one of their engineers. Also remember that on the aluminum motors the block grows more than the steel chain and it gets tighter when the block is hot too. On iron blocks though obviously the chains could be tighter.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer7088
The chains are purposefully looser from gm to allow the robotics to install them as I was told by one of their engineers. Also remember that on the aluminum motors the block grows more than the steel chain and it gets tighter when the block is hot too. On iron blocks though obviously the chains could be tighter.
I did think about the growth factor. Question is, how much is excessive?The quench distance increases by about .006? Right? Would one assume that .003 is about right for crank to cam difference? If I knew that I'd be 1 deg at warm up, I probably wouldnt give it a second thought.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I did think about the growth factor. Question is, how much is excessive?The quench distance increases by about .006? Right? Would one assume that .003 is about right for crank to cam difference? If I knew that I'd be 1 deg at warm up, I probably wouldnt give it a second thought.

Yeah the main guy at Cloyes who's very smart and very nice told me about the extra loosenes exclusively so the robotic devices at GM could install these chains (which are by the way made and supplied by Cloyes on most of the GM LSx stuff) whereas with a real human like you or I it could be much tighter which is better. If the OP can get a line hone version at .005 tighter still even I'd check it out as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to Jason @ Katech today and ordered one of their timing chains. I'll post the results of how much slack it takes up after I get it installed.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

Did you order the C5R chain only or the gearset as well?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
Did you order the C5R chain only or the gearset as well?
I only ordered the C5-R chain. I asked if I needed the gears as well and was told no.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, got the chain and installed it tonight. Wound up with 1 deg of slack and measured maybe .020-.030 less slack between the side of the cam tensioner. It didnt seem to make a tremendous amount of difference, but it is a little tighter. I do feel better about having a better chain on it now at any rate. I have to admit, I may have been a bit off of how many degrees I was seeing with the stock LS2 chain. It seems more likely that I had only 1.5 degrees of slack before and the Katech chain and installing it reduced the slack by .5 degrees.

Quick Reply: Q on Timing chain slack