Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

My 454 LSX NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haans makes a lot of good points, not much to add to it really. you just need to get on the phone. i just got my LSX from HKE through 99blancoSS yesterday. i've been waiting for it since last july....don't think that's typical though, there were a lot of setbacks, backordered parts, and even a natural disaster or two. suffice it to say, it was worth the wait because i know it will only need to be done once, and if something DOES fail, they will stand by there work

every shop has problems with their products at SOME time, i don't care how good you are, **** happens. i went with HKE because i could not find a recorded instance of such a problem. TSP, Speed Inc, LME, KY speed, etc...are all good shops. like i said, you just need to get on the phone and talk to them about what you want. i can guarantee you that their prices will all be within ~$500 of each other, and don't take the cheap way out. you WILL get what you pay for.

good luck man, i'm anxious to see what kind of power you make. i went the the TFS 245's and am undecided on the intake right now. i first started out wanting a LS7 top end, but changed my mind. you're basically building the motor i started out wanting.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
haans makes a lot of good points, not much to add to it really. you just need to get on the phone. i just got my LSX from HKE through 99blancoSS yesterday. i've been waiting for it since last july....don't think that's typical though, there were a lot of setbacks, backordered parts, and even a natural disaster or two. suffice it to say, it was worth the wait because i know it will only need to be done once, and if something DOES fail, they will stand by there work

every shop has problems with their products at SOME time, i don't care how good you are, **** happens. i went with HKE because i could not find a recorded instance of such a problem. TSP, Speed Inc, LME, KY speed, etc...are all good shops. like i said, you just need to get on the phone and talk to them about what you want. i can guarantee you that their prices will all be within ~$500 of each other, and don't take the cheap way out. you WILL get what you pay for.

good luck man, i'm anxious to see what kind of power you make. i went the the TFS 245's and am undecided on the intake right now. i first started out wanting a LS7 top end, but changed my mind. you're basically building the motor i started out wanting.
I am thinking about throwing on some TFS245's decently soon, where did you find was the best place to buy them?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. yea ive got the day free tomorrow. I called today and it was busy. Hopefully i can catch them. Im excited about this build, obviously.

I looking for more of a "stock" appearing build. Like if the LS7 was offered in the T/A. I was aiming for a clean build last time and ended up cutting corners and i wasnt anywhere near happy. this time, I think everything that needs replacing will be replaced. Of course there will be more i want to be to the car. I will be a little more than i can afford when its all said and done. but itll be worth it.

Im not really trying to get the cheap way out. I realize everyone says to get an HKE shortblock, and ill call him. but we'll see.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Here is my stock looking build picture -
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have better luck calling me than HKE.

You can call me right now if you want as well just use the 800 number, I keep it for customer convenience.

Like Ben said we just delivered his engine, it did take what seemed like for ever but like he said the natural disaster (hurricane) that hit Houston had something to do with it. The other was the 4.125 stroke crank needing to be made by Callies. ( We don't just grab any crank off the shelf).

We do a lot of the LSX block stuff for a reason.

I would be happy to assist you in this build, no matter who you choose you need to get it going or it will never get done.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
Here is my stock looking build picture

You should really fix your PCV system. While the breather on the valley cover looks cool, its worthless. You need to connect it to the intake to pull all the harmful gasses out of the crankcase. You don't have to toss the breather out, just move it to the other valve cover so both sides have fresh air intake.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Haans249
You should really fix your PCV system. While the breather on the valley cover looks cool, its worthless. You need to connect it to the intake to pull all the harmful gasses out of the crankcase. You don't have to toss the breather out, just move it to the other valve cover so both sides have fresh air intake.
Yah, i had a catch can for the valley cover, but kept getting a bunch of oil in the intake from the valve cover to TB. So i just vented everything.

So you think it will be ok to run a catch can for the valley cover, and vent the valve covers?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yah, i had a catch can for the valley cover, but kept getting a bunch of oil in the intake from the valve cover to TB. So i just vented everything.

So you think it will be ok to run a catch can for the valley cover, and vent the valve covers?
Optimally, you should run your fresh-air line from the valve covers to the throttle body, and then the dirty line with the catch can from the valley cover to the intake.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

I am thinking about throwing on some TFS245's decently soon, where did you find was the best place to buy them?
talk to this guy, VERY helpful, got my heads through him....as well as everything else.

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
You will have better luck calling me than HKE.

You can call me right now if you want as well just use the 800 number, I keep it for customer convenience.

Like Ben said we just delivered his engine, it did take what seemed like for ever but like he said the natural disaster (hurricane) that hit Houston had something to do with it. The other was the 4.125 stroke crank needing to be made by Callies. ( We don't just grab any crank off the shelf).

We do a lot of the LSX block stuff for a reason.

I would be happy to assist you in this build, no matter who you choose you need to get it going or it will never get done.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

got off the phone with him about an hour ago. Nice guy. and as you said very helpful.

Will be ordering from him ASAP.

Hopefully a couple of days.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet!! So what all will you be getting from him? Whats the setup?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont know the specifics yet... but tomorrow i will hopefully be able to place my order.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i ordered my longblock from Chris, im sending the cashiers check tomorrow. Ive been so busy. Im home working on my car. or trying to but theres alot to do around here.

Anyway. Ive got my engine bay cleared out. and my cage is in and painted.

and im working on installing the sound deadening.

^^^Quick update. (;
Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

I thank you very much
Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
1998 WS6 T/A.

Harrop 58mm ITB intake, delivered to my door in Florida complete with the LS2 ETC conversion kit, all linkages and filters....$2,070.

The price on them have come WAY down. They were over $5,000 one year ago.

I know what you mean about college man....I was an ERAU guy once.
you said you got the intake shipped to your door sor 2070 bucks there on the link you posted for about 4k ???????????
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

do people not understand the concept of PM's, if you have an off topic question, i doubt he is watching my thread. Message him.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I keep forgeting to post pics of what i got done over spring break so here it is.

basically tore my interior out
got my 10pt cage in and painted
and started putting in the sound deadening

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Haans249
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-failure.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...new-motor.html

just a few reference threads. No definitive answers to why they failed, but always makes me a little skeptical. I have personally NEVER seen or heard of a morel lifter fail.
We also have caddy racing lifters fail in a new ls7 motor within couple hundred miles.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

We don't recommend them to anyone, we like to use Morels in our builds, 98% of our customers go with the link bar. We've developed a safe wining combination and like to stick to it
Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, ive been reading alot about mini-tubbing. and i think im gonna tub my car. (pull up some sound-deadening and the rear bars)

Quick Reply: My 454 LSX NA Build