Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Introducing The All New PRC Spring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Those seals are made for a .500 od valve guide. Use an valve guide install tool and hammer them home. If you use a 12mm socket you may damage the seal. Based on the valve tip height I think you will have to shim the spring to get them to install at 1.800. You will need to buy an valve spring height micrometer to check the installed height. Place the shim under the spring seat base.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 05-10-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Those seals are made for a .500 od valve guide. Use an valve guide install tool and hammer them home. If you use a 12mm socket you may damage the seal.
Noted, thanks.

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Based on the valve tip height I think you will have to shim the spring to get them to install at 1.800. You will need to buy an valve height micrometer to check the installed height. Place the shim under the spring seat base.
I just checked the installed height. From the top of the spring (bottom of the retainer) to the machined valve spring pocket (in the cylinder head), it is 1.850"
The machined spring seat in the Texas Speed kit is 0.045" thick, so the spring is currently installed with a height of 1.805"

Is that close enough? Or is that not measured correctly? Should the installed height dimension include or exclude the spring seat?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by narcszm
I just checked the installed height. From the top of the spring (bottom of the retainer) to the machined valve spring pocket (in the cylinder head), it is 1.850"
The machined spring seat in the Texas Speed kit is 0.045" thick, so the spring is currently installed with a height of 1.805"

Is that close enough? Or is that not measured correctly? Should the installed height dimension include or exclude the spring seat?
1.805 is good. No need to shim for .005. It has to include the spring seat.