Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

More L92 aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is one of the more interesting threads I have read in a while.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
This is one of the more interesting threads I have read in a while.
I agree!! mostly because the thread title keeps the riff raff out!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo185
I think it will be more toward 200hp at that DA.

He said a 94'' prop. Is that a two blade constant speed? Man that seems like a big prop. Will the Mustang take that size, even a tail dragger?

Plus with no 02's you could run 110 low lead and up the compression ratios, or turbo the hell out of it!
8000-9000DA isin't going to cut the power in half... at higher altitudes, yes but not at that.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
org
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
8000-9000DA isin't going to cut the power in half... at higher altitudes, yes but not at that.
Should lose about 25 to 30 per cent of power for a given rpm.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Yeah I would expect 25-30% not 50%..... BTW I'm not a fan of negative G either....
Old 05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ORG
I did think about dry sump, but I don't like negative Gs well enough to worry about it. Any upside down stuff will be positive G or very brief negative. I plan to install an Accusump for that.

..... BTW I'm not a fan of negative G either....
Wussys! Eyeballs out is fun...just like practice bleeding.

FWIW, fighters pull positive g virtually all the time, inspite of what Maverick and Goose said to Charlie.

I really liked your pics of the build. Dayum but that's a lot of work.

West System stuff is about the best there is IMO. I went to college with one of the Gougeon brothers who started West System. He was a F4 driver when I was driving one-holers. Burt Rutan recommended WS for his composite homebuilts as I recall. We used it for Bret's second racecar, a cedar woodstrip Soap Box Derby car.

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago I worked with a guy who put a BB Chevy into a scale P51. It was a neat project. A bit of a change from the normal car requirements.

So what type of intake system are you planning to run with this setup? Factory plastic? Car or truck? Sheetmetal?
Kinsler 8 stack?

Richard
Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
org
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Years ago I worked with a guy who put a BB Chevy into a scale P51. It was a neat project. A bit of a change from the normal car requirements.

So what type of intake system are you planning to run with this setup? Factory plastic? Car or truck? Sheetmetal?
Kinsler 8 stack?

Richard
It must have been a Stewart S51? Really nice airplane, all metal, built pretty much like the real thing, only smaller.

I plan to use a factory intake, hope the truck intake will fit (boring, I know, but effective) but it's pretty close at the top. I'll know after I get the actual measurement of how high above the crank centerline the top of the intake is. All the GM drawings are pretty approximate, and it's close enough I need exact. Did you get a ride in the airplane?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 AM
org
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Wussys! Eyeballs out is fun...just like practice bleeding.

FWIW, fighters pull positive g virtually all the time, inspite of what Maverick and Goose said to Charlie.

I really liked your pics of the build. Dayum but that's a lot of work.

West System stuff is about the best there is IMO. I went to college with one of the Gougeon brothers who started West System. He was a F4 driver when I was driving one-holers. Burt Rutan recommended WS for his composite homebuilts as I recall. We used it for Bret's second racecar, a cedar woodstrip Soap Box Derby car.

Jon
I think that's a pretty close description of negative G:-)

Thanks for the kind words. The airplane project has kept me sane over the years, I hope it will be flying one of these days.

West is really good. I can't think of any other epoxy system you can use as varnish, filler, or glue and can be set up for slow, medium, or fast set. Great stuff. Anything designed to be left sitting in water for days (weeks) at a time has to be pretty good.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by org
I think that's a pretty close description of negative G:-)

Thanks for the kind words. The airplane project has kept me sane over the years, I hope it will be flying one of these days.

West is really good. I can't think of any other epoxy system you can use as varnish, filler, or glue and can be set up for slow, medium, or fast set. Great stuff. Anything designed to be left sitting in water for days (weeks) at a time has to be pretty good.

You can do a lot without negative g or even much positive g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE

I was fortunate enough to see Bob do his Shrike show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZEgKXJMCE

Jon
Old 05-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by org
It must have been a Stewart S51? Really nice airplane, all metal, built pretty much like the real thing, only smaller.

I plan to use a factory intake, hope the truck intake will fit (boring, I know, but effective) but it's pretty close at the top. I'll know after I get the actual measurement of how high above the crank centerline the top of the intake is. All the GM drawings are pretty approximate, and it's close enough I need exact. Did you get a ride in the airplane?
Yes it was an S51. No ride though

The truck intake should do well for you.

Good luck sir. I'll check in on your website from time to time to follow this.

Richard
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Very Neat! I was going to say with a stock cam grind being optimal in this setup, then extra power could still be gained with say a fast 78 for this app would be perfect and good valvetrain components as others have said.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
You can do a lot without negative g or even much positive g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE

I was fortunate enough to see Bob do his Shrike show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZEgKXJMCE

Jon

Great stuff Jon. Thanks.

Richard
Old 05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Speaking of a neat YouTube flying video....

For all you animal lovers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REl64...eature=related
Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking about it at his cruise HP which was targeted for 3500 RPM and 200 HP. Which would be about right @ 9000ft. But thats high for me locally! But in Colorado that my be field elevation on a given day! Lol...

Org- What is the target top speed? 250+ kt?

You shouldn't have any cooling problems then. Just make sure your cowl doors work correctly. I would add a oil cooler. And a dry sump system will give you extra oil capacity and cooling as well. Well worth it for extra ins.

Also what compression ratio and fuel are you planing to run? 93 unleaded or 110LL?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
org
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bo185
I was talking about it at his cruise HP which was targeted for 3500 RPM and 200 HP. Which would be about right @ 9000ft. But thats high for me locally! But in Colorado that my be field elevation on a given day! Lol...

Org- What is the target top speed? 250+ kt?

You shouldn't have any cooling problems then. Just make sure your cowl doors work correctly. I would add a oil cooler. And a dry sump system will give you extra oil capacity and cooling as well. Well worth it for extra ins.

Also what compression ratio and fuel are you planing to run? 93 unleaded or 110LL?

You're about right on the density altitude...the field I plan to use sits at about 7000, so it doesn't take a lot of heat to raise the DA to 9000+.

The cruise should be around 200 to 210 MPH (the original P 51 used mph rather than knots, so that's good enough for me.) Top? I don't know. Speed is relative, and in a small airplane 200 seems fast. Never exceed for the design is 258 mph, probably because they stopped testing it at that and called it good. The climb rate should be spectacular, the airplane will weigh about 2200lbs with pilot and fuel.

The compression ratio will be around 10 to 1, same as stock l92. I'll have it tuned for premium auto gas (all we get in CO is 91 because of the altitude) but I'm sure it will get a mix of that and 100LL. I don't plan to change much about the engine except eliminate possible failure points (VVT and DBW) and possibly replace the heads/intake. An oil cooler definitely. I don't plan to use a dry sump system, but may use a G8/marine pan, and the reduction unit uses engine oil, increasing the oil quantity a little. This is another place the l92 is good, with the high volume pump, since there will be a couple of lines to the reduction drive.

I'm surprised at the interest in this project, and really pleased at the amount of helpful information I'm getting. Thanks to everybody.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

7000 feet! Man you need a turbo! Is there room for one? At those DA you should be OK with that CR and some boost. It wouldn't cost that much and it should make 258 mph easy!

It should do 240-250 easy I would think for some fun!

Missed it? Why not keep the L92 heads and swap to a car intake for clearance.

I would run more 110LL if you can afford it.

Quick Reply: More L92 aircraft