Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Consumption LS2 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009 | 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I just wish I had more time in on my car since I installed the catch can. Then I would be able to provide a more definitive answer as to whether or not the PCV system is the problem.
Old 06-20-2009 | 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks nice. Hard to tell in the pics but how is yours hooked up? Thats my biggest "I dont know" is how I need to hook mine up. What plugs where and where. Ive looked around alot at different set ups and everyone seems to have it plumbed differently than the next.
Old 06-20-2009 | 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I tried a few different plumbing paths before I decided on the one in the pic. The other paths would have worked just fine as well. It is more of a personal preference than anything.

I have traced the paths (in red) so they are easier to see.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Consumption LS2 427-vette1b.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009 | 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

See if I got this write. From pass valve cover to can back to the vally cover? Is there a PCV valve anywhere or would I do away with that?
Old 06-21-2009 | 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpinsB
See if I got this write. From pass valve cover to can back to the vally cover? Is there a PCV valve anywhere or would I do away with that?
Passenger cover --> Can
Valley cover --> Can
Plug --> port on intake (which used to be connected to the valley cover)
Plug --> port just before throttlebody (which used to be connected to the passenger cover)
Old 06-21-2009 | 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by good2go
My LS7 427 was eating a half quart every 2,000 miles through the PCV system. I'm now running a K&N breather with no vacuum to the crankcase and have ZERO oil usage.
Which routing did you end up going with?

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
Passenger cover --> Can
Valley cover --> Can
Plug --> port on intake (which used to be connected to the valley cover)
Plug --> port just before throttlebody (which used to be connected to the passenger cover)
Your just venting the PCV system to atmosphere. This isn't the best option for keeping the crankcase evacuated, but if it works, it works.

SpinsB,
You may want to read through this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-21-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2009 | 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06

Your just venting the PCV system to atmosphere. This isn't the best option for keeping the crankcase evacuated, but if it works, it works.
You are absolutely correct. It is the lesser of two evils though.
Old 06-21-2009 | 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

You are absolutely correct. It is the lesser of two evils though.
I disagree. With the right catch cans and routing, one can achieve the same goal while efficiently evacuating the crankcase.
Old 06-21-2009 | 01:28 PM
On The Tree

You would think so but evidence does not support this. More and more people are coming forward and showing that even with catch cans they are still sucking oil into the intake or the catch can itself is always getting full with oil. This is not with a single brand of catch can either. Same car, different brands of catch cans, same results.

This is not to say catch cans would not work perfectly for some setups though. The problem is you have a static configuration (fixed size orifices) trying to be the solution for a wide variety of engine configurations (engine displacement, intake vacuum, etc).
Old 06-21-2009 | 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

You would think so but evidence does not support this. More and more people are coming forward and showing that even with catch cans they are still sucking oil into the intake or the catch can itself is always getting full with oil. This is not with a single brand of catch can either. Same car, different brands of catch cans, same results.

This is not to say catch cans would not work perfectly for some setups though. The problem is you have a static configuration (fixed size orifices) trying to be the solution for a wide variety of engine configurations (engine displacement, intake vacuum, etc).
Evidence does support that in the absence of any mechanical engine problems causing excessive oil consumption and/or blow-by issues, the right catch cans and routing will prevent carry over oil ingestion problems.

Exactly, what catch cans(s), engine, configuration, engine condition, and road environment has caused the issues you indicate?

The fixed orifice GM has used since the '04 LS6 is a band aid solution for a system that does not slow PCV flow to the minimum required velocity. I've always been a fan of removing the fixed orifice because of the flow restriction it causes. An 'old school' variable orifice is much more effective than a fixed orifice.

I've had carry over oil ingestion issues and solved them, it is possible.
Old 06-21-2009 | 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

The oil mist is contaminated with combustion byproducts and needs to be removed. Part of the purpose of a PCV system is to "get rid of" the oil mist so that it cannot condense back to liquid and contaminate the oil.
This is incorrect. Carry-over oil in the PCV stream should be separated and drained or returned to the crankcase. This is what the chamber affixed to the bottom of the valley cover attempts to do.

It's the blow-by gases that bring the oil damaging carcinogens, causing increased wear, sludge build-up, and rapid oil breakdown.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Evidence does support that in the absence of any mechanical engine problems causing excessive oil consumption and/or blow-by issues, the right catch cans and routing will prevent carry over oil ingestion problems.

Exactly, what catch cans(s), engine, configuration, engine condition, and road environment has caused the issues you indicate?

The fixed orifice GM has used since the '04 LS6 is a band aid solution for a system that does not slow PCV flow to the minimum required velocity. I've always been a fan of removing the fixed orifice because of the flow restriction it causes. An 'old school' variable orifice is much more effective than a fixed orifice.

I've had carry over oil ingestion issues and solved them, it is possible.
Here is a direct quote:
I'm not going to publically bash vendors. The intake was full of oil not the catch can. Well, the catch did have some in it, but it was by no means full. We're talking in the ozs. After seeing my own car and several others I decided to remove the intake all together and I run a vented giant, 12AN can in my fenderwell. I know this is not for everybody, but I want no oil in my intake running boost and a crappy 91 octane fuel which is all that is available here. I need all the help I can get. I think after seeing 4 or more catch cans, hooked up in the way that is instructed per the manufacturer, and all 4 being sopping wet with oil in the intake, qualifies me to make a statement "that I'm not impressed".

I just did a FAST intake install for a guy with a popular catch can on the forum. It was installed as per the instructions. I chuckled and said, "hey watch this". I took off his stock intake and ran my finger around the intake runner of each cylinder. Each time it came out dripping with oil.

My suggestion is to run something AKA Cartek, or Rev's posts and route it like that with a valve, run a big dog like I use adn delete the vacuum all together, or run one as advertised and expect to still ingest oil.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:01 PM
On The Tree

This is incorrect. Carry-over oil in the PCV stream should be separated and drained or returned to the crankcase. This is what the chamber affixed to the bottom of the valley cover attempts to do.

It's the blow-by gases that bring the oil damaging carcinogens, causing increased wear, sludge build-up, and rapid oil breakdown.
My bad for not being more clear.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a direct quote:
I'm not going to publically bash vendors. The intake was full of oil not the catch can. Well, the catch did have some in it, but it was by no means full. We're talking in the ozs. After seeing my own car and several others I decided to remove the intake all together and I run a vented giant, 12AN can in my fenderwell. I know this is not for everybody, but I want no oil in my intake running boost and a crappy 91 octane fuel which is all that is available here. I need all the help I can get. I think after seeing 4 or more catch cans, hooked up in the way that is instructed per the manufacturer, and all 4 being sopping wet with oil in the intake, qualifies me to make a statement "that I'm not impressed".

I just did a FAST intake install for a guy with a popular catch can on the forum. It was installed as per the instructions. I chuckled and said, "hey watch this". I took off his stock intake and ran my finger around the intake runner of each cylinder. Each time it came out dripping with oil.

My suggestion is to run something AKA Cartek, or Rev's posts and route it like that with a valve, run a big dog like I use adn delete the vacuum all together, or run one as advertised and expect to still ingest oil.
Okay, this says nothing. Without can manufacturer, engine configuration, road conditions, and exact plumbing this statement doesn't support your position.

Most of the catch cans on the market are manufactured incorrectly. I know of two brands that work effectively, only if routed correctly. The other huge factor is plumbing configuration, which I find 99% of people or catch can manufacturers don't understand how to do correctly.

Again, I know for a fact with the correct catch can and plumbing that carry over oil ingestion can be controlled. Venting the PCV system to atmosphere will eliminate carry over oil ingestion problems from the PCV stream but your introducing a much less desirable affect to the engine oil and engine internals.

Your money, your car; do as you please. Don't recommend this configuration to others without stating the negative affects realized as a result of this choice. Focusing ONLY on carry over oil ingestion and not stating the negative effects of this configuration does everyone that follows this advice a serious disservice.

Have you done any used oil analysis before and after this PCV configuration change?

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im still at a loss for what I should try/do? Who are the good catch cans out there? Ive read every post in here and alot is helpful very helpful but some of it went right over my head. All's im looking for is a way to find out if my oil consumption is due to the pcv or other internal things. I want to run a catch can set up if it is beneficial, and have it plumbed the right way. Alot seems to depend on set up and what not(most of which is in my sig) Just looked at my car vally cover is capped off pass vc front is going to TB pass back is going to a T on the back of my intake. what do I need to do

Last edited by SpinsB; 06-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which routing did you end up going with?

SpinsB,
You may want to read through this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
So I read thru this thread, the way I read a two catch can set up is a good way to go my question is the breather on the oil fill is unneeded?unmetered air??
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

So I read thru this thread, the way I read a two catch can set up is a good way to go my question is the breather on the oil fill is unneeded?unmetered air??
Dual cans and a sealed PCV system are best. Don't run a valve cover breather. Does your TB have a vacuum port? How many and where are the valve cover ports?
Old 06-21-2009 | 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Okay, this says nothing. Without can manufacturer, engine configuration, road conditions, and exact plumbing this statement doesn't support your position.

Most of the catch cans on the market are manufactured incorrectly. I know of two brands that work effectively, only if routed correctly. The other huge factor is plumbing configuration, which I find 99% of people or catch can manufacturers don't understand how to do correctly.

Again, I know for a fact with the correct catch can and plumbing that carry over oil ingestion can be controlled. Venting the PCV system to atmosphere will eliminate carry over oil ingestion problems from the PCV stream but your introducing a much less desirable affect to the engine oil and engine internals.

Your money, your car; do as you please. Don't recommend this configuration to others without stating the negative affects realized as a result of this choice. Focusing ONLY on carry over oil ingestion and not stating the negative effects of this configuration does everyone that follows this advice a serious disservice.

Have you done any used oil analysis before and after this PCV configuration change?
Reread through my posts. I clearly state two major drawbacks to a non-return system. I also refer to a non-return system as an "evil".

The OP is consuming 1 quart of oil every 280 miles and your contribution to his problem has been to tell him not get a Cartek catch can. You follow this up with saying that 99% of the catch cans, catch can vendors, catch can routing is incorrect. What does that leave the OP with?

Since you are familiar with this topic please help everyone (myself included!) by contributing something like the following:

"Hi I know a lot about catch cans. Most of them do not work properly but brand X and brand Y certainly do. Make sure when you route them they are routed like this".

Everybody wins. As an added bonus all of the people how are finding "99%" of the existing catch cans to be infective and not working correctly can actually move to something that does work.
Old 06-21-2009 | 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Im still at a loss for what I should try/do? Who are the good catch cans out there? Ive read every post in here and alot is helpful very helpful but some of it went right over my head. All's im looking for is a way to find out if my oil consumption is due to the pcv or other internal things. I want to run a catch can set up if it is beneficial, and have it plumbed the right way. Alot seems to depend on set up and what not(most of which is in my sig) Just looked at my car vally cover is capped off pass vc front is going to TB pass back is going to a T on the back of my intake. what do I need to do
For a dual can, I would recommend a Saikou Michi DC3. The other brand that works is RevXtreme.

Here's the suggested dual can PCV routing for your configuration:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not affiliated with either company, just an informed and happy customer.
Old 06-21-2009 | 11:46 PM
On The Tree

For a dual can, I would recommend a Saikou Michi DC3. The other brand that works is RevXtreme.

Here's the suggested dual can PCV routing for your configuration:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not affiliated with either company, just an informed and happy customer.
Awesome! Thank you!

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption LS2 427