Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Consumption LS2 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
I don't think that's a fair analogy. First of all, that era's cars weren't needing a rebuild or replaced engine due to contaminated oil. I don't believe there have ever been many combustion contaminated oil failures at any time. I do believe that the reason for early rebuilds of those era's cars was due to lower quality parts which wore out. Today's engines use parts which last far longer and make the engine more efficient and produce much less contaminants. Better sealing top rings, hypereutetic pistons with tight bore to piston clearances, and most of all, better fuel and spark control via electronics Vs. carbs and point ignition. Our cars use less fuel to produce more horsepower and less emissions and contaminants.

If you can get an LS series engine to pass a sniffer test without cats (you can, I've seen it done) then surely it isn't producing enough contaminants getting past the rings and pistons to ruin an engine when the oil is changed at reduced intervals.
I echo the comments made by Tracy and add that if you have done any used oil analysis with QUALIFIED interpreation, you wouldn't have written the information above. I have 77,000 miles of used oil analysis data, intrepreted by Terry Dyson, on my '03 Z06. I also have 100,000 miles of used oil analysis data from a '04 Toyota 4Runner w/ 4.0 litre v6 and 21,000 miles of data from my 2.0L turbo '08 HHR SS. Working with Terry to develop lubrication regimens to keep wear in check and maximize fuel mileage while maintaining a reasonable cost has been an eye opening experience. I can definitively state with 100% certainty that poor PCV performance will SIGNIFICANTLY affect wear metal production and DRASTICALLY shorten oil life.

There are so many things that can go wrong that affects an oils ability to protect an engine, it's mind boggling. Start an oil analysis regimen and then see if you still believe what you wrote above.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-24-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could an authority throw together a diagram for a LS7 drysump set up? I do not want to be in the position of changing the synthetic oil in 3 gallon lots every time I run the car at the track!

TIA.

Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wadd
could an authority throw together a diagram for a LS7 drysump set up? I do not want to be in the position of changing the synthetic oil in 3 gallon lots every time I run the car at the track!

TIA.

Tom

Drawn by hand, so 405hp_Z06 can clean it up and put it to a better drawing:

Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

TIA.

Tom
Tom,
Here you go, posting for Tracy Lewis:

Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Aaron,
thanks for the diagram -

looks like the main differences between that set up and mine are -
1) I don't have the catch can between valley cover and intake manifold
2) the breather line off the oil tank connects to an ARE catch can w/ a breather. There's no pvc valve in the connection, don't know what's inside the breather can.

I assume the rev extreme catch can will prevent oil from accumulating in the manifold.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

405HP: What is different about the RevExtreme catch can? I tried a competitors can in that spot and it did squat. I still had oil consumption and very little in the can.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

So for myself do I do away with the PCV valve. or does it still get used some where in the plumbing? I checked last night(sorry no pics) but I do NOT have anything going in the back of my intake. Driver VC goes to intake pass front VC goes to Tb the rear pass VC is tied into the driver VC and the vally cover is capped off.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Aaron,
thanks for the diagram -

looks like the main differences between that set up and mine are -
1) I don't have the catch can between valley cover and intake manifold
2) the breather line off the oil tank connects to an ARE catch can w/ a breather. There's no pvc valve in the connection, don't know what's inside the breather can.

I assume the rev extreme catch can will prevent oil from accumulating in the manifold.

Thanks again.

Tom
Tom,
On the clean side, keep your ARE breather can and put a one-way check valve between the can and the oil tank.

Insert a catch can on the dirty side for optimal carry over oil removal from the PCV stream.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by good2go
405HP: What is different about the RevExtreme catch can? I tried a competitors can in that spot and it did squat. I still had oil consumption and very little in the can.
This is one of my pet peeve's with catch can manufacturers. The internal design of the can is CRITICAL to the functionality <carry over oil removal> and efficiency of the PCV system. I've seen a ton of cans on the market and very few manufacturers really understand PCV systems. Understanding how the system functions is required to design a highly functional catch can.

I don't recommend Saikou Michi and RevXtreme cans because they are cosmetically appealing or the lowest price can, but rather because they are designed correctly and highly functional.

The RevXtreme differentiator is the internal design. They did, and continue to do, their homework when they designed their catch can. They are also continually improving and optimizing the desgin based on real data.

One of the biggest issues with the LS fixed orifice system is the size of the orifice. 2.5mm is too small and does not allow proper PCV flow within the system. At the minimum, it would be better to remove the orifice and install an 'old school' variable orifice valve.

On the LS7, clean side reversion is a big issue and the reason I'm a huge fan of dual cans (on any application). The oil tank will produce a large amount of fumes due to oil aeration. A better oil tank would probably help the issue, but you may not want to go that far. A clean side can is a band aid for this problem. If you fix the dirty side you may still have issues on the clean side due to reversion.

My current project is modifying a factory valley cover by removing the orifice while still retaining the oil separation chamber and enlarging the passages for increased flow. I would like to see a -10AN off the valley cover.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-26-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpinsB
So for myself do I do away with the PCV valve. or does it still get used some where in the plumbing? I checked last night(sorry no pics) but I do NOT have anything going in the back of my intake. Driver VC goes to intake pass front VC goes to Tb the rear pass VC is tied into the driver VC and the vally cover is capped off.
You don't need an external PCV valve because the valley has a fixed orifice. Follow the diagram I posted earlier using one of the cans mentioned in this thread. Anymore questions, fire away.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been talking with RevX (Tracy) and I am going to stock the RevX can.

(BTW, I was not so incorrect with how I explained how the system was supposed to work but the reality of it different. The clean air vent is not supposed to allow reversion.) 03 and previous, I really havent studied the 04 and above system. Since this has always been an issue I routed things my own way. I also have a small electric pump for vacuum that I will employ. I fought oil in the intake for far far to lo long with a decent catch can that traped a good amount of oil all the time but I could never get rid of the oil in the intake. I could swear that vent tube was sucking oil !

I wonder if all you need to do is move the location of the vent from in from of the Tb blade so it does not have air rushing by into a location where it would not be effected by this? Anyone tried this?

So the 04 and above has a restrictor in the valley pan and is meant to breath in both directions is what your saying?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I've been talking with RevX (Tracy) and I am going to stock the RevX can.

(BTW, I was not so incorrect with how I explained how the system was supposed to work but the reality of it different. The clean air vent is not supposed to allow reversion.) 03 and previous, I really havent studied the 04 and above system. <snip>
You are correct. If mother nature followed the rules, reversion on the clean side woudn't happen. However, there is nothing preventing this from happening. Add the fact the dirty side of the LS PCV system does not flow adequately it's easy to see how this is a common problem.

<snip>Since this has always been an issue I routed things my own way. I also have a small electric pump for vacuum that I will employ. I fought oil in the intake for far far to lo long with a decent catch can that traped a good amount of oil all the time but I could never get rid of the oil in the intake. I could swear that vent tube was sucking oil !
It probably was. Why is it so hard to understand clean side reversion?

I wonder if all you need to do is move the location of the vent from in from of the Tb blade so it does not have air rushing by into a location where it would not be effected by this? Anyone tried this?

So the 04 and above has a restrictor in the valley pan and is meant to breath in both directions is what your saying?
The fixed orifice in the valley replaces the previous variable orifice; because of the nature of the design, the fixed orifice can't prevent reverse flow like a variable orifice valve. Again, by system flow design it should only go in one direction, but mother nature does what she want's and we have what we have.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, thats what I thought. You know how Mom nature is.. she will have her way

BTW those are nice diagrams, Tracy sent me a whole pack of them
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, thats what I thought. You know how Mom nature is.. she will have her way

BTW those are nice diagrams, Tracy sent me a whole pack of them
Please don't distribute those diagrams yet. I'm still working on the final version for Tracy.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
You don't need an external PCV valve because the valley has a fixed orifice. Follow the diagram I posted earlier using one of the cans mentioned in this thread. Anymore questions, FIRE AWAY.
Im I'm going to go with the dual can set up from Saikou which is better for instal that stage 1 or Evolvd? and how do I purchase nothing on web page to order or even a # to call. If I follow the diagram it's as simple as that? What about mounting the cans? Also any does or don't when doing the instal?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpinsB
Im I'm going to go with the dual can set up from Saikou which is better for instal that stage 1 or Evolvd? and how do I purchase nothing on web page to order or even a # to call. If I follow the diagram it's as simple as that? What about mounting the cans? Also any does or don't when doing the instal?
PM sent.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you sir
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Is the attached pic correct for a LS2/LS3 setup?
Attached Thumbnails Oil Consumption LS2 427-ls2-dry-sump-revxtreme-offroad-question.jpg  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
Is the attached pic correct for a LS2/LS3 setup?
The PCV system should be sealed. You can use a breather on the valve cover, but it's not as effective as a sealed system.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
The PCV system should be sealed. You can use a breather on the valve cover, but it's not as effective as a sealed system.
So all I need to do is swap out the breather for a regular oil cap? Then I am setup correctly and good to go?

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption LS2 427