Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Consumption LS2 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
So all I need to do is swap out the breather for a regular oil cap? Then I am setup correctly and good to go?

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-27-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Too many ports on passenger valve cover
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugg this is brutal. All I want is for my car to stop ingesting crazy amounts of oil.

This latest diagram shows ports on the valve covers that do not even exist, requires parts that did not come with the "complete" kit I received, and this diagram contradicts the diagram I received with my kit.

All of this makes me want to throw in the towel. :-(
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Maybe the "best" solution is closing off the PCV system (a.k.a. Cartek style) and simply changing your oil often?

A zillion different diagrams, showing a zillion different things, and having to drive all over town trying to track down parts...there must be something better.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

Ugg this is brutal. All I want is for my car to stop ingesting crazy amounts of oil.

This latest diagram shows ports on the valve covers that do not even exist, requires parts that did not come with the "complete" kit I received, and this diagram contradicts the diagram I received with my kit.

All of this makes me want to throw in the towel. :-(

Don't get frustrated, it's really easy. What engine do you have? What ports don't you have? What parts are missing?

I've updated the LS3 diagram, I had too many ports on the passenger valve cover.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 06-27-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between us we can get you squared away....just need to determine your current configuration and then it will be easy. Don't give up!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Thank you both!

The last picture posted is looking way better already!

The LS2 passenger valve cover does not have a port at the rear. It only has the port shown in the pic.

The LS2 driver valve cover does have a port, but from the factory the port is closed off (small rubber cap on it).

Top of RevXtreme catch can <--> valley cover port
Side of RevXtreme catch can <--> intake port
Passenger-side-valve-cover port <--> throttle body port
Replace aftermarket oil cap breather, with stock oil cap

Is the above correct?!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you both!

The last picture posted is looking way better already!

The LS2 passenger valve cover does not have a port at the rear. It only has the port shown in the pic.

The LS2 driver valve cover does have a port, but from the factory the port is closed off (small rubber cap on it).

Top of RevXtreme catch can <--> valley cover port
Side of RevXtreme catch can <--> intake port
Passenger-side-valve-cover port <--> throttle body port
Replace aftermarket oil cap breather, with stock oil cap

Is the above correct?!
That's correct. The diagram posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11821998-post81.html reflects what you wrote above. I apologize, I thought you had an LS3 and was given some incorrect information about the number of ports on the LS3 passenger valve cover. I fixed the error and reposted.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

With the RevXtreme catch can installed, I am still consuming oil. :-(

Catch can was installed a few hundred miles ago. Fresh oil change and fresh spark plugs at the same time. I checked tonight and the dipstick reads a bit below the middle dot. When the oil change was done, the oil level was a hair above the top dot.

I also pulled a single plug (which was new), and it is now oily.

I opened the drain on the catch can and no oil came out.

Tomorrow I am hoping to remove the throttle body and check the intake for oil. When the catch can was installed the intake was cleaned at the same time. If oil is making it through the catch can, the intake should/would be dirty again.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Restricted User

UPDATE:

With the amount of consumption you had there is no way you would be sucking that much oil through the pcv system. With my 408 I had the same oil consumption issues. 1 quart is 250 miles. After fight the issue for two years throwing lots of $$$ at it trying to fix it with, new valve seals, catch can, vacuum pump and new heads, I decided to tear it down. Well the motor was not built correctly. I swapped to a L92 block and I rebuilt the motor myself and triple checked every gap and clearance. I now have 500 miles on this motor and it consumes no oil... I am willing to bet there is something not right with the rings or is was built incorrectly to consume that much oil.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

UPDATE:

Catch can was installed a few hundred miles ago. Fresh oil change and fresh spark plugs at the same time. I checked tonight and the dipstick reads a bit below the middle dot. When the oil change was done, the oil level was a hair above the top dot.

I also pulled a single plug (which was new), and it is now oily.

I opened the drain on the catch can and no oil came out.

Tomorrow I am hoping to remove the throttle body and check the intake for oil. When the catch can was installed the intake was cleaned at the same time. If oil is making it through the catch can, the intake should/would be dirty again.

With the baffel system, oil can't make it through the can....it is impossible. Lets go over the hose routing again. Outlet of the can (side fitting) goes to the intake manifold snout fitting (vacuum source), and the top fitting (inlet) goes to the crankcase outlet (valley cover vent or the valve cover fittings).

Should be no lines from the valve cover to the throttle body unless you are using it as your fresh-air source and then oil could be entering through the throttle body. If your plugs show oil it is entering the combustion chamber. Only way for that is:
1. poor ring seal allowing oil past on the intake stroke into the combustion chamber.

2. oil being pulled into the intake from the PCV system (the most common with modern engines)

3. oil being pulled past the valve seals & through the guides on the intake stroke.

Any of these can and will push oil into the intake runners through reversion pulses at high rpm's making it difficult to diagnose, but no matter what with any of the above problems the catch can if it has a vaccum source pulling correctly it will accumulate some oil, so I suspect there is an issue in the routing somewhere.....
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
With the amount of consumption you had there is no way you would be sucking that much oil through the pcv system. With my 408 I had the same oil consumption issues. 1 quart is 250 miles. After fight the issue for two years throwing lots of $$$ at it trying to fix it with, new valve seals, catch can, vacuum pump and new heads, I decided to tear it down. Well the motor was not built correctly. I swapped to a L92 block and I rebuilt the motor myself and triple checked every gap and clearance. I now have 500 miles on this motor and it consumes no oil... I am willing to bet there is something not right with the rings or is was built incorrectly to consume that much oil.
This has been my fear from the very beginning. :-(
Old 07-18-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
With the baffel system, oil can't make it through the can....it is impossible. Lets go over the hose routing again. Outlet of the can (side fitting) goes to the intake manifold snout fitting (vacuum source), and the top fitting (inlet) goes to the crankcase outlet (valley cover vent or the valve cover fittings).

Should be no lines from the valve cover to the throttle body unless you are using it as your fresh-air source and then oil could be entering through the throttle body. If your plugs show oil it is entering the combustion chamber. Only way for that is:
1. poor ring seal allowing oil past on the intake stroke into the combustion chamber.

2. oil being pulled into the intake from the PCV system (the most common with modern engines)

3. oil being pulled past the valve seals & through the guides on the intake stroke.

Any of these can and will push oil into the intake runners through reversion pulses at high rpm's making it difficult to diagnose, but no matter what with any of the above problems the catch can if it has a vaccum source pulling correctly it will accumulate some oil, so I suspect there is an issue in the routing somewhere.....
I will have some pictures taken today and will upload them.

Before the RevXtreme catch can, when I pulled the plugs they were all fouled and all fouled the same amount. Does that provide any insight? I.e. would it be unlikely that all of the valve seals were bad, and "bad" the same amount, to foul the plugs equally?

The specs of the setup are:

LS3 Aluminum, 6 Bolt Main, 4.067" Bore
Manley forged dish pistons 4.065", -2cc
Callies CompStar 4.00" stroke, forged crank
Callies CompStar forged Connecting H beam Rods, 6.125" length, 2.100" crank pin, .927 wrist pin, (Includes ARP 2000 Series Connecting Rod Bolts).
L92 heads, milled 0.030, 65 CC chamber
LS3 GM MLS 0.051" gasket, bore diameter 4.100"
Comp 921 spring kit
Comp Cam 230 XFI / 242 XER, 114 LSA
Ported LS3 intake
Manley hardened 7.35" pushrods
Ackerly & Childs NOS/Boost rings 1/16 - 1/16 - 3/16
Clevite "H" series race rod and main bearings
Durabond cam bearings
PowerBond underdrive pulley
Monster flywheel and Stage 3 clutch
LG Pro Longtube headers (hi-flow cats)
Corsa Xtreme catback
DTE Stage 1, 4.10 rear diff
Vararam
Tuned with HP Tuners VCM Suite
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Man, that build has all the right stuff in it to. Unlikely that each would be bad in equal amounts.....has to be coming in from somewhere. This is a puzzle we need to figure out.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Red line --> Passenger valve cover port to throttle body port.
Blue line --> Valley cover port to top port on RevXtreme catch can
Purple line --> Intake manifold port to side port on RevXtreme catch can

The connection that confuses me is the "Red line". Would the Red line not circumnavigate the entire catch can setup? With the throttle body open, a vacuum would be created and any "oil mist" would be drawn from the passenger valve cover into the throttle body?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

MrDrezzUp,
As a troubleshooting step, have you tried venting the entire PCV system to atmosphere to conclude whether it consumes oil at the same rate?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The red line is at issue according to what tlewis and 405hp are saying. Leaving that line the way it is causes oil to get into the system. It is supposed to be fresh air but in higher rpm applications the flow gets reversed and it sucks oil into the intake instead.(from what I can tell of this thread anyway..LOL)
Old 07-19-2009, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
MrDrezzUp,
As a troubleshooting step, have you tried venting the entire PCV system to atmosphere to conclude whether it consumes oil at the same rate?
In the short time I had the Cartek catch can installed it "appeared" as though the oil consumption problem was eliminated. I use the word "appeared" as I did not have a chance to perform proper testing.

If the next troubleshooting step would be to put the Cartek catch can back on (and measure the results), I can certainly do that.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
The red line is at issue according to what tlewis and 405hp are saying. Leaving that line the way it is causes oil to get into the system. It is supposed to be fresh air but in higher rpm applications the flow gets reversed and it sucks oil into the intake instead.(from what I can tell of this thread anyway..LOL)
The red line is the only thing I can think of that "might" be causing a problem.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

The purple line looks like it may be swapped with the blue one....can't tell by the picture, but the angle looks wrong. The purple must connect to the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold, and the redline will allow oil directly into the intake bellows. You can delete it and put the breather/oil fill mod or add a second can inline with it.

The top fitting needs to connect to the vally cover fitting.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I just pulled the throttle body off. The intake is sopping wet with oil.

Although it is hard to tell in the picture above, I have also verified the following:

- The "blue" line (on the top of the RevXtreme catch can) connects to the metal port on the valley cover.
- The "purple" line (on the side of the RevXtreme catch can) connects to plastic port on the manifold intake.

Tracy, following what you stated above, I should:
- Remove the "red" line/hose.
- Cap the port (on the valve cover) that the "red" line was connected to.
- Cap the port (just before the throttle body) that the "red" line was connected to.
- Replace the stock oil cap, with an oil cap breather.

Do I have the above correct?

Jackson

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption LS2 427