Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lsa

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsa

So I was browsing Jegs.com a little bit today Because I got the idea/itch to buy an F-body camaro and make something nasty out of it. I see alot of people swapping LS2's and some LS3 into them. I noticed the LS9 is a overpriced LS3 with just different internals and S/C on top. I now noticed Jegs is offering the 09 Cadillac CTS-V LSA basically a LS9 with a smaller S/C on top making 550HP 50HP more then the LS7, the price's of the LSA and LS7 are indentical only hundred dollar difference.

Is the LSA a wet sump as opposed to a LS7 is a dry sump. Jegs is saying the front accessories wont be available til later but I am sure I could get the Convertor box from Lingenfelter correct?

Anyone think this is a good idea or should I spend 7G on a Plain Jain LS3 block or Build a 427 LSX.

http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance...24593/10002/-1
Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about this also, putting an LSA in my camaro or building a 427 or 454LSX. but I haveN'T seen any used LSA's on the market and I think an LSX might be cheaper, maybe!!

Last edited by Taken4granted; 07-13-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
I was thinking about this also, putting an LSA in my camaro or building a 427 or 454LSX. but I have seen any used LSA's on the market and I think an LSX might be cheaper, maybe!!
This is true, I mean a bare LSX Block you can get 1-2G, but then when you add everything else up, it would be about the same as a fully built RTR Engine. But then you have the ability to have a stroked out motor, and possibly better internals etc.

I was thinking If I went with an LSX it would be as well either a 427 or 454, the 454 would probably crank out more then 5-600HP easily. thats a 7.0 of its own. but then again if you wanted to get serious you can go with a 572. But I wanna stick with the LS Motors.

I could always get a cast iron LQ4 or LQ9.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I guess I am hated that much here lol. Its understandable, I haven't really been able to find any superchargers for the LS3, besides pro-chargers not sure if I want to go with one of them. I was thinking a Maggie or something along those lines. I wish Kenne Bell made a supercharger for the LS3, Ill have to look at whipple as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LSA engine is still very new. Not a whole lot of info available. We've just completed a CNC program for those heads. They use the same castings as the LS9's. They also use solid stem valves instead of the titanium intake and sodium exhaust valves.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Are the computers in the ls9 and lsa the same? I know the computers in the ls9s blow anything out the water that gm has come out with thus far.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OneBadLS
I guess I am hated that much here lol. Its understandable, I haven't really been able to find any superchargers for the LS3, besides pro-chargers not sure if I want to go with one of them. I was thinking a Maggie or something along those lines. I wish Kenne Bell made a supercharger for the LS3, Ill have to look at whipple as well.
Hated???? I think going with a Maggie TVS 2300 is the best option for the LS3 that combo makes some great number as far as what I seen, and it might be cheaper than an LSA or same price. Throw a H/C in there and you have one crazy setup
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the responses guys., Yea Id definitely do a head/cam upgrade no question about that. Hennessey I believe makes a 7 and 800HP CTS-V thats like 10 secs in the 1/4.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end a LSA will make about the same hp/tq as a mildish LS3/L92 based 416, which is relatively cheap, simple nd durable.
>IMO it is an easy choice.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by See5
In the end a LSA will make about the same hp/tq as a mildish LS3/L92 based 416, which is relatively cheap, simple nd durable.
>IMO it is an easy choice.
Yea but, with the LSA your getting over 500 out of the box, as opposed to a bare block ls3 making a little over 400 roughly maybe slightly less. I mean look at the LS3 in the G8's and Camaro's there barely touching 400 HP if not slightly over. thats with a cam intake and exhaust if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Sounds like a cool swap to me. I would not get too wrapped up in the accessory drive to be released later. I imagine that is a kit made more for street rods, not a f-body arrangement. Hood clearance might be an issue though. Might have to do similar mods as the maggie installs. The CTS-V has a unique bulged hood.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by veee8
Sounds like a cool swap to me. I would not get too wrapped up in the accessory drive to be released later. I imagine that is a kit made more for street rods, not a f-body arrangement. Hood clearance might be an issue though. Might have to do similar mods as the maggie installs. The CTS-V has a unique bulged hood.
Honestly, I don't think there would be an issue with clearance I would imagine it being a straight bolt in just like an other LS Motor no? If the new camaro can fit the LS9 with no problem I don't think the F-body will have an issues as well. it should just bolt right in. I don't think there was in structure changes to the block, after all its just a LS3 block with different internals and smaller s/c then the LS9 use's If I am not mistaken the LSA uses a 1.9L as opposed to the ZR1 use's a 2.3L TVS
Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneBadLS
Yea but, with the LSA your getting over 500 out of the box, as opposed to a bare block ls3 making a little over 400 roughly maybe slightly less. I mean look at the LS3 in the G8's and Camaro's there barely touching 400 HP if not slightly over. thats with a cam intake and exhaust if I am not mistaken.
A built 416 is lots different than the LS3 it springs from,as is an LS A/9.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by See5
A built 416 is lots different than the LS3 it springs from,as is an LS A/9.
what you mean? I could always stroke it out to a LS7 as well, just stroke it to a 427.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
8 Second Club

What I meant was...
Just use the f-body accessory arrangement.
The hood clearance issue would be from the height of the supercharger/intake. It does appear to be smaller then the LS9, but still taller then a standard LS with composite manifold. Like the window added to the ZR1, the CTS-V got a hood bulge to make room for the taller intake arrangement.
The block, heads and other stuff will be the same though.
They are getting away with the maggie kits on the 4th gen by clearancing the cowl/wiper area, and spacing down the k-member.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by veee8
What I meant was...
Just use the f-body accessory arrangement.
The hood clearance issue would be from the height of the supercharger/intake. It does appear to be smaller then the LS9, but still taller then a standard LS with composite manifold. Like the window added to the ZR1, the CTS-V got a hood bulge to make room for the taller intake arrangement.
The block, heads and other stuff will be the same though.
They are getting away with the maggie kits on the 4th gen by clearancing the cowl/wiper area, and spacing down the k-member.
Im sure a Sunoco would take care of the clearance issues, and if you wanted to modify it to have a clear window to see the S/C
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the f-body half of the engine is under the cowling as mentioned before. It is not a matter of just cutting the hood, but cutting the car under the winshield. You can fit the LSA into it or even the LS9 if you do not mind cutting the car drasticaly to fit it. For that matter you could stuff it in a bug if you wanted. Most people would not like the idea of cutting thier car that much. That is why the centrificals are very popular with the f-body crowd.

To answer your question of fitment, yes with alot of perminate modification.

As to buying or building a LSX engine, or the 416 as mentioned, it is not hard to get 650rwhp NA with these engines, Turbo or centrifical supercharge them, ,,, watch out.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like I can scratch this idea out. although I could get a cowl induction hood.

But then again I could always get a LS3 or build an LSx.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is not a problem then a Built LSx say 440ci with some LS7 heads would be killer. Heck if you want FI then look into some of the turbo kits, 900 HP with a turbo is not hard to make with 346ci.

It would be nice to have a ls9 F-Body though.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=709&catid=84
this lsx 454 shortblock from texas speed...add a decent set of heads and intake for another 2500 and you have a sub $10k lsx that will pull probably 630 to 650 hp. or you can just buy a crate ls3 for 6k and put a bigger cam and tune and make 500+ hp all for sub 7k. So I wouldn't even worry about the lsa or ls9 because n/a engines can have huge amounts of power...and fyi the g8 is not an ls3, but a l76...different heads and cu in. (grilled on that one before)

Quick Reply: Lsa