Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Racetronix knock sensor extension harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racetronix knock sensor extension harness

I went to hook up the LS1 knock sensors on my LS2 with the Racetronix extension/retrofit harness. It hooked into the car harness fine but the sensor ends are different than the stock one. Here is a pic the stock end is on the right and the Racetronix on the left. They will not clip onto the knock sensors. Anybody else use this harness for retrofitting am LS2 into an F body?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Somebody may correct me here but I am 99% positive you can't even put LS1 knock sensors on an LS2 block. The LS2s have the knock sensors on the front of the engine and they are a bit different design/different plug. So that plug you are looking at is for the LS2 style knock sensor and its an "extension" harness because you have to make it reach the front of the engine as well as convert the plug.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Somebody may correct me here but I am 99% positive you can't even put LS1 knock sensors on an LS2 block. The LS2s have the knock sensors on the front of the engine and they are a bit different design/different plug. So that plug you are looking at is for the LS2 style knock sensor and its an "extension" harness because you have to make it reach the front of the engine as well as convert the plug.
Yes you can put ls1 knocks on ls2-

You need to drill and tap-

Hope that helps

Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM
9 Second Club

Yep exactly what I did there. That spot in that pic also is a problem with clearing the starter. That was problem number 2 LOL. The Racetronix harness is specifically for retrofitting an LS2 into and LS1 F body.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"1997-2004 LS1 to LS2 Knock Sensor Relocation Harness

This harness allows the single-wire LS1 knock sensors located on top of the LS1 manifold to be relocated on both sides of the LS2 block and plugged into the factory LS1 PCM harness. It has the perfect added length and thermal protection required to be routed near hot exhaust manifolds. Compatible with the PCM harness in LS1 Corvette and F-Body cars."

Last edited by JFM-jr; 07-20-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
I went to hook up the LS1 knock sensors on my LS2 with the Racetronix extension/retrofit harness. It hooked into the car harness fine but the sensor ends are different than the stock one. Here is a pic the stock end is on the right and the Racetronix on the left. They will not clip onto the knock sensors. Anybody else use this harness for retrofitting am LS2 into an F body?

The Racetronix extension harness is made for cars with LS1,LS6,LQ9,LQ4 engines upgrading to LS2. You need to use old knock sensor and not LS2. If you had a LS2 harness and sensors you wouldn't need extensions.
Rob.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

1999 LS1 knock sensor tapped into LS2 block.
Need to extend wires.
Buy Racetronix Extenders.
Plug into PCM wire--AOK.
Other end will not plug into 1999 LS1 knock sensor.
Look at the pictures,seems like a Ractronix mix up
Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the connector on the left is for the LS1 knock sensor and must be used with LS1 not LS2 knock sensors. As stated above, if you have an LS2 computer and harness, you don't need the Racetronix harness. The pictures above show the correct Racetronix harness. I have the correct LS1 knock sensor part numbers if you need them. The only thing I can think of is that you have a different knock sensor harness in the car which didn't originally come with it. I have never seen a harness like that in an F-body.

Shane
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

I will call you guys (Thunder) in the AM thanks!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The connector on the right is neither a LS1 or LS2 knock sensor connector.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 07-21-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Yep exactly what I did there. That spot in that pic also is a problem with clearing the starter. That was problem number 2 LOL. The Racetronix harness is specifically for retrofitting an LS2 into and LS1 F body.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"1997-2004 LS1 to LS2 Knock Sensor Relocation Harness

This harness allows the single-wire LS1 knock sensors located on top of the LS1 manifold to be relocated on both sides of the LS2 block and plugged into the factory LS1 PCM harness. It has the perfect added length and thermal protection required to be routed near hot exhaust manifolds. Compatible with the PCM harness in LS1 Corvette and F-Body cars."
Never had a issue with the starter-new news to me-
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The connector on the right is a knock sensor connector but the very early design 1997-1998 LS1's came with. I have seen this harness several times on 98 F-bodies and early C5's but nothing else.

You need the 99-04 Gen III knock sensors to use the extension harness. Although I'd be tempted to just forget about using knock sensors anyway.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

Thank You Joseph,Problem SOLVED.The knock sensors and harness came from a 1998 C5.So,the Racetronix harness does NOT fit ALL 1997-2004 models.Will be shipping them back.
Don't need no stinking knock sensor's!!!!!!!
Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the confusion guys. I do recognize that connector I've just never seen one on an F-Body. It looks like everyone has it figured out now.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

According to the GM tech site and our dealers all LS1 motors have the same knock sensors which use the single-cavity WeatherPack connector as supplied on our KSRH harness. We have sold hundred's of these harnesses w/o an issue.

The single cavity 150 series connector you show here is used on 3.8L V6 f-body cars only. See the attached image.

If someone can produce evidence that a LS1 motor came with different knock sensors / connectors please send us pics / info.

We would like to ask JFM-jr if his car was originally a V6 model?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Racetronix knock sensor extension harness-f99_v6_kr_connector.jpg  

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

This was not a V6 car. I think Joseph nailed it on the head. I have pics I need to find my cord to upload. The harness and knock sensors are from a 98 C5 LS1. Easy enough fix for me but a nice piece of information for Racetronix to research. I will post pics up tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This was not a V6 car. I think Joseph nailed it on the head. I have pics I need to find my cord to upload. The harness and knock sensors are from a 98 C5 LS1. Easy enough fix for me but a nice piece of information for Racetronix to research. I will post pics up tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help.
Are you using the factory f-body 1999 main PCM wiring harness?

We will contact GM parts tomorrow to see if there is a different part listing for knock sensors based on LS1 y-body model year.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 07-21-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ran into this problem. Its cuz we have the 1st design of the 98 knock sensors. the harness has the clips for the 2nd design knock sensors that have the mushroom type connector instead of a clip that retains it. The only difference is the connector portion. Hope this helps, also on my drivers side I had to move the knock sensor further forward due to it being really close to the header so I put it in a bung that is right behind the alternator. Instead of drilling and tapping the block I opted to turn down the knock sensor threads from 10mm to 8mm and re-tap the 1.25 pitch thread.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

And alas I am not alone! LOL
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can also produce pics of these sensors and a harness that were on my 98 camaro. Iv had GM decifer my VIN # and it is a V8 car. Ill post up the correct knock sensor part numbers in the mornin as im receivin them tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Racetronix, next time I find some in an early F-body, I'll definitely grab a few pics. This used to be common knowledge, some of the guys with the older knock sensor design even upgraded to the 2nd design and newer harness. I've been around too long I guess.

I remember even having to specify the design when replacing the KS and harness while I still worked at Scoggin-Dickey.

Google brought this up:
http://www.statracing.com/oem-replac...t=Knock+Sensor

Quick Reply: Racetronix knock sensor extension harness