Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is it Worth swapping from ported l92's/l76 to TFS 225/235'S on a 402CI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I was on dynojets was speed inc(old set up)they had me at 424hp 407tq. I then went to hardcore motorsports for a n.o.s tune(no changes to motor) and their dyno jet had the same set up at 395hp 370tq. Then when I went to the stang dyno to get tuned(only change was a bigger cam)I got 370hp 350tq. When the dyno jets were done I was running 12.1's 1/4mi after the cam swap and re-tune stangdyno I was running 11.9's.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heads

My 402 popped 482 RWHP with a Slowmaster and some hand ported 317 casting heads. Ferrara stainless valves and a 231/237 115LSA cam With a ported FAST and a 90mm TB through a M6.

I guess you just gotta find the right combo..

Is your tune right on ?

I stuffed LS7 heads on my 454 from Richard @ Westcoast. Nice pieces, I just gotta get back up to Kansas City and finish the tune n get er dynoed.. She should scream, I hope.. LOL.. Then I'll bring er down here to Florida.

Good luck on finding more HP.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

DAVIDWS6-I made 517hp 468tq. The car runs great,10's n/a at the track.I'm not having problem's with this motor,I simply just want another 30hp or so to go faster. That was the topic. I don't want a solid roller because I daily drive it on weekends and do go on long trips with it. I don't want a carb. I just wanted to know if anyone thought swaping to a tfs head and a ported fast92 mm would net me more power and tq over the ported l92's. I know what i'm going to do,thanks everyone.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike c.
DAVIDWS6-I made 517hp 468tq. The car runs great,10's n/a at the track.I'm not having problem's with this motor,I simply just want another 30hp or so to go faster. That was the topic. I don't want a solid roller because I daily drive it on weekends and do go on long trips with it. I don't want a carb. I just wanted to know if anyone thought swaping to a tfs head and a ported fast92 mm would net me more power and tq over the ported l92's. I know what i'm going to do,thanks everyone.
why dont you get a 2 piece manifold and 4150 or 4500 tb?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, what did the car trap at the track? I haven't seen too many normal weight street f-bodys trap over 130. Seems like the vettes do much better at higher hp levels.

I have a 427 w/ 235s, 6 spd, that I have been having small issues with. I have about 600 miles on the motor and still have a 3'' catback. I want to reinstall my electric water pipe and get a 4" mufflex catback. In the florida heat I've trapped from 127.22 - 128.86 mph, maybe 6 runs total. No stellar runs but that includes big time bogs, hitting the rev limiter and spinning to the point I have to let off. Not sure how much difference it would make but I'm running stock 16" wheels, stock goodyears in the front with m/t drag radials in the back.

My heads cam 346 went 121-123, 123.6 being the best.

I was hopping for 131-133 in the summer and 134-136 in the cooler weather. If I get things worked out I think that I'll pick up but not sure I'll meet my goals.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Mike, what did the car trap at the track? I haven't seen too many normal weight street f-bodys trap over 130. Seems like the vettes do much better at higher hp levels.

I have a 427 w/ 235s, 6 spd, that I have been having small issues with. I have about 600 miles on the motor and still have a 3'' catback. I want to reinstall my electric water pipe and get a 4" mufflex catback. In the florida heat I've trapped from 127.22 - 128.86 mph, maybe 6 runs total. No stellar runs but that includes big time bogs, hitting the rev limiter and spinning to the point I have to let off. Not sure how much difference it would make but I'm running stock 16" wheels, stock goodyears in the front with m/t drag radials in the back.

My heads cam 346 went 121-123, 123.6 being the best.

I was hopping for 131-133 in the summer and 134-136 in the cooler weather. If I get things worked out I think that I'll pick up but not sure I'll meet my goals.
Before you spend big bucks on a mufflex kit, I'll let you know that I picked up 27hp with a cutout over my mufflex 4" catback with spintech muffler. I love how it sounds but there is definately a big difference on power compared to cutout open/closed. Might want to just stick with what you have now and try a cutout.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The only time I was on dynojets was speed inc(old set up)they had me at 424hp 407tq. I then went to hardcore motorsports for a n.o.s tune(no changes to motor) and their dyno jet had the same set up at 395hp 370tq. Then when I went to the stang dyno to get tuned(only change was a bigger cam)I got 370hp 350tq. When the dyno jets were done I was running 12.1's 1/4mi after the cam swap and re-tune stangdyno I was running 11.9's.

Mike C. :

I'm looking to go as fast as 11.8 - 12.3's consistantly for a daily driver. Got any more advice, as were both in Michigan?

My heads are un ported

Subscribing.....
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok what are you going to do?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Mike I'd look into a better intake with a carb type EFI TB. You'd be well served to put one on the car and get the flow out of the heads that they're capable of.

I bet you pick up .2 and 2 mph over the plastic GM intake.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Mike I'd look into a better intake with a carb type EFI TB. You'd be well served to put one on the car and get the flow out of the heads that they're capable of.

I bet you pick up .2 and 2 mph over the plastic GM intake.

Thanks for the info. JL. I've got it ported, but I can probably do better, like you said.

Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

I'm going to pull the heads and have them flowed at livernoise next to their heads(since a local shop did Mine,livernoise may have a better cnc job) the best flowing heads will come home with me. I will add the new fast for the l92's and have it ported. I may also look into a different cam to work better with the l92's. This should give the results i'm looking for and if not,I'll sell all and go TFS 235's/ported fast on a 427 block. I'll just start over. lol

JL-WS6-Whis EFI TB,will my car still need to be tuned and will it be like the fuel injection where once it's done and on I don't need to keep messing with it? Will my car start and drive just as goos as it does now? and,I will not need to cut or modd anything will I? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Race your car!

Mike you'll have to lose the wipers and cut the cowl in the center, but if you have a hood that comes to the windshield it will cover everything. It will drive the same, air filter will be a street only thing as it will choke the car at the track but it's o.k. for the street. You SD/open loop the car and it will probably run a ton better then it would with a maf anyway.

If you run the shorter victor jr type intake, say have a little milled off the top and run the shortest TB you may be able to keep the wipers and stock hood, but it will be tight.

Honestly, if you're trying to get to 10.50 with a 4xx inch motor you can do it with the intake you have if you get the car to 3300 lbs with absolutely no problems... you may want to look into the weight reduction before changing anything on the motor just to see if that gets you where you want to be. Lighter the car the easier it is on parts.

My sled with the et 240 heads on the 402 went 10.5 @ 3500 lbs, it made 480 rwhp thru a TH400 and a 5000 rpm converter. It sounds like you're probably 30 hp off that #, but if you can get the car to 3300 to 3200 lbs you can run mid 10's with the power you're making.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

so you have to lose the wipers when you go singleplane?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Race your car!

depends on what intake and TB you go with. I know for a fact, that if you do a single plane the carb style TB is worth a TON of power over an elbow and a regular ls type TB.

That being said, you will have to cut the cowl some. will the windshield wipers be in the way, maybe maybe not, with any type of large air filter yes they will be in the way, for a tiny little filter that will be a restriction, probably not but you will still have to cut, do a search on here there's a million pic's of cars that have single plane's on and have done the cutting needed.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Launching!

I have the trick flows and you can check my sig for numbers it is through an auto but I was still expecting about 20 to 30 more hp
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

In my humble opinion, you should try the Victor Junior manifold. They far outflow the plastic gm intakes, whether it is the ls6, ls2, L76, etc. I am not sure, but they may even over power the Fast in the higher (racing) rpm range.

Personally, if i was in your position, there are some things i would do before i went and threw money at the car\problem. Check over you setup, see if there is anything you can imrpove. take a look at the intake... do you have any bends you can get rid of? Where is it pulling air from, the engine bay or a cool air source? It will make a big difference. I believe it was either Edcmat-l1 or WKMCD who removed a 90 degree bend in the intake track and picked up nearly 25hp on one of their cars.
no real need to give the exhaust a once over, as you are running cut-outs, thereby eliminating any crushed pipe issues.

After that, i would try the Victor JR manifold for the L92 heads. Perhaps see if you can find a ported one. After that, get with EDC or Patrick G, or a cam guru of your liking and see what can be done in that arena. These are probably your lowest cost fixes that will make the biggest impact. As for you getting all worked up over the Flow of your heads, comparing them to Livernois' heads, calm down with that. I would suggest if you are going to bring your heads somewhere, bring them to someone who is good with hand porting and valve jobs. Does Livernois do this? I have heard nothing but good things about their work, but dont recall if they have someone who does hand porting and valve jobs. If they do, have the valve job on ur heads checked out, and see if it needs work.

I would bet the "cylinder head guys" in here will tell you the impact a good valve job will have on powah. If you have exhausted those options, then i ask you this.... does your car need to stay NA?? I ask because for the amount of money you are willing to sink into it pulling the motor, selling it, starting all over again, etc.... you should go FI. Since you seem to be all about the track times, build yourself a turbo motor. If you dont want to go all out, if you want to keep your current car for a while, what about custom fabbing a rear mount turbo setup for yourself for the time being?? You figure you buy the intercooler, turbo(s), wastegate, blow off, etc and all the other crap u need for a turbo kit. Either you go head long into a turbo build, redoing your motor now.... or you set yourself up a low boost rear mount for the time being using many of the parts that will later be used for the custom fabbed twin turbo setup. Install the intercooler, setup one (or both) of your turbos temporarily as a rear mount (weld it in there), etc.

good luck
Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to pull the heads and have them flowed at livernoise next to their heads(since a local shop did Mine,livernoise may have a better cnc job) the best flowing heads will come home with me. I will add the new fast for the l92's and have it ported. I may also look into a different cam to work better with the l92's. This should give the results i'm looking for and if not,I'll sell all and go TFS 235's/ported fast on a 427 block. I'll just start over. lol

JL-WS6-Whis EFI TB,will my car still need to be tuned and will it be like the fuel injection where once it's done and on I don't need to keep messing with it? Will my car start and drive just as goos as it does now? and,I will not need to cut or modd anything will I? Thanks.
Mike - Check out WCCH for the head porting. When it comes to porting the L92 heads I havent seen anyone better than WCCH. Do some searching on WCCH and you'll see what I mean.

Another thing, Im not sure a TFS 235 427 will show enough gains to make it worth the time & money. Your making 517 right now. I think a nice CNC port job on your current heads and the new FAST would get you 20-30rwhp and put you right with the average TFS 235/427 combo which is 530-550rwhp.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks. I'll start checking this stuff out. What is wcch?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

west coast cylinder heads
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks. Guys,i'm done with this thread,i'm woreout with it. thanks for the tips and anyone who tried to help. Mike.

Quick Reply: Is it Worth swapping from ported l92's/l76 to TFS 225/235'S on a 402CI?