Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lsx iron block

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....was there a budget in mind for this build? That would help with the discussion topic i think...for reference, i've got ~$11K in receipts for my 454 and it still needs an intake and water pump...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Kickass heads. Richard at WCCH is working on a CNC program for his ALL-Pro heads that he expects to flow in the 420'scfm, so you might want to look into those too.

Whats the price for fully assembled LSX heads?

All pros are in the lead now, and I'm willing to bet they will continue to lead over the LSX heads, too.

I've ran trick flow 245's and seen similar cars to mine with less ci make more power with LS7 style heads on the same dyno *shrug*

The all pros beat out the ETP heads, but theyre also more expensive.

I think the LSX heads will be somewhere in the middle without the huge pricetag. I havnt looked into them though, are they out yet?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
....was there a budget in mind for this build? That would help with the discussion topic i think...for reference, i've got ~$11K in receipts for my 454 and it still needs an intake and water pump...
That's where I was... between 13 and 14k on my build. Adding a set of all pro ls7 or etp ls7 is gonna up that price even more by about 5k.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
All pros are in the lead now, and I'm willing to bet they will continue to lead over the LSX heads, too.

I've ran trick flow 245's and seen similar cars to mine with less ci make more power with LS7 style heads on the same dyno *shrug*

I think the LSX heads will be somewhere in the middle without the huge pricetag. I havnt looked into them though, are they out yet?
I was PM'ing with Richard for awhile about his new cnc program, but its been awhile. He said he would let me know when they're done and tested.
I'll hit him up with another pm.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prove it.
Has anyone done back to back testing? Or are you saying that because they said the new port will flow 420? lol
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Prove it.
Has anyone done back to back testing? Or are you saying that because they said the new port will flow 420? lol
The "older" all pro heads have been proven to make more power then the etp ls7 heads.

I know nothing of their new ports, so I can't say. I wish I'd have gone ls7 on my 454 from the beginning. ETP or all pro wouldn't have mattered to me.

Im interested to see on a high CI motor (440 + ci) what the ls7 fast will do over a stock ls7 with a set of nice heads

I know a guy here running stock ls7 heads on his c6z He went from a stock ls7 intake to a ported fast ls7 and so far picked up 15rw on back to back testing.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Teching In

The "older" all pro heads have been proven to make more power then the etp ls7 heads.

I know nothing of their new ports, so I can't say. I wish I'd have gone ls7 on my 454 from the beginning. ETP or all pro wouldn't have mattered to me.

Im interested to see on a high CI motor (440 + ci) what the ls7 fast will do over a stock ls7 with a set of nice heads

I know a guy here running stock ls7 heads on his c6z He went from a stock ls7 intake to a ported fast ls7 and so far picked up 15rw on back to back testing.
Wow once the bottom end is done maybe I will go with ETP 4'' ls7 heads.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing of their new ports, so I can't say.

Proven by who?

What I figured.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I was wanting to know this answer too, because GM says you can go up to 4.25 inch bore on the LSx. I did my final project in my IC engines class (as a senior in mechanical engineering) on finding the limit of the LSx block with a 4.25 inch bore using the Finite Element Analysis program ANSYS. I modeled the engine with 11:1 compression ratio, 4.25 inch bores, 4.5 inch stroke with the 4.4 inch bore spacing and pump gas. The LSx block uses 15% stronger iron than regular production iron blocks and has siamese bores. I did my analysis kinda like ERL did with the darton sleeves in a LS2 block with a 600 shot of nitrous except I did a boosted application, the link to their analysis is here:

http://www.erlperformance.com/images...eve_Design.pdf

I started out without boost, and the stresses were so freakin small I wanted to find some sort of limit. Using 1 atmosphere increments (14.696 psi) I got up to 105lbs of boost before I reached the wall displacement that they saw and wasnt even close to the yield stress of the block. I never got my report back after graduation but ended up with a B+ in the class and only had a B- test average so Im assuming I did it right and thats why I got the higher grade, or he curved, or felt bad, I dont know. I know that my experiment had to be a little off using pump gas on a boosted 11:1 motor, but I think it shows why GM engineers say 4.25 inch bore is safe on a LSx block.

Quick Reply: Lsx iron block