Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 Oil Consuption--here we go again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pauls416Z
That would be a problem for me....I'm too freakin particular to reuse something as important and as difficult to get to as an oil pump...

Let me give you this life lesson I learned years ago from my grandfather....
That is the one area I forgot to ask about. Looks like a new pump is in order, wonder which one might be good to use. Looking at a new LS3 pump.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could still make good power with a bore issue. It would depend on where in the cylinder the "out of round" was. If the out-of round is near the bottom the oil would get pushed up, yet at the top of the cylinder the rings would seal without issue. <-- speculation.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You still make the power,just use oil. I didn't find it with my crappy bore measuring tools(reason we don't build shortblocks inhouse) but a good machinest would find it.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
That is the one area I forgot to ask about. Looks like a new pump is in order, wonder which one might be good to use. Looking at a new LS3 pump.
This is a good one:
Oil Pump: Melling 10295 HP/ported
Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
And that is exactly what concerns me, the cylinder machine work.
How does a cylinder get out of round when using a torque plate? Any machinist on this site? Also, phone# please for the engine shop that knows how to machine an LSX block.

I'm having the engine inspected right now, plugs, compression/leak down,oil changed, dyno tune. I should have it back by tommorrow night with some type of overall results and I HOPE to run it by this weekend.

On a positive note, it actually feels way stronger than my 509rwhp 402 so maybe some redeeming qualities about the engine. Do you think an engine, say like you mentioned with out of round cylinders could burn oil, but still make a good ring seal? Doesn't seem like it would be possible.

just to answer your first question-a cylinder can be honed out of round very easily-it's actually much harder to make it round.Alot of shops use alot of pressure when honing a block(faster this way)the pressure distorts the bore and ovals it while honing,but the bore wont distort evenly because there is varying amounts of material supporting the bore.So where the material is thinner the bore will distort more and actually removing less material.The best way to hone is to use very light pressure and let the bore cool before final honing-this takes alot of time and most production machine shops are not willing to spend the time to do it correctly.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I had the engine checked out, plugs replaced, oil changed, and dyno tuned. The pump in there was a new LS2, so we are going to put in a high volume pump next week. The plugs looked looked like hell that we took out. There were signs of valve seal leakage. He had a real cool scope device that displayed a digital picture after inserting the scope. We also looked inside the intake and did not find oil. There was some carbon on the pistons around the valve cutouts, not around outer ring of piston.

The final diagnosis was the engine is not broken in yet, maybe a little valve guide or seal leakage and needed a tune up.

I need to look at the sheet tommorrow, but it put down around
540rwhp/500rwtq in near 105F in his shop, so I guess things are looking better.

I plan to look the plugs over in a week and see if things are cleaned up a bit.

Quick Reply: LS3 Oil Consuption--here we go again.