Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and like i said before. when we call the supplier and they say I DO NOT KNOW....or they give no eta, then what else can we tell you but exactly what is said to us?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
and like i said before. when we call the supplier and they say I DO NOT KNOW....or they give no eta, then what else can we tell you but exactly what is said to us?
My point was NO ONE made a call for me when I spoke to the salesman yesterday. So, no one said anything to my salesman. Unless of course there is some sort of status on the LSX block which comes across in a daily memo at SD stating "I DON'T KNOW" and the salesman already had the answer...

I suppose the service I recieved was a little below my expectations- especially as compared to the outstanding service I had recieved from SD in the past. I know they are the top dealer for GMPP in the USA and I have had excellent luck with them prior, so I called them first. I suppose I will work with someone who will make an effort to work with me.

I just now while writing this post got an ETA from another vendor and all it took them was a phone call while I was on hold. Some dude from Summit actually did this for me. Who would have thought...
Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well dont always believe everything you hear. Summit also has the Street warrior on sale soon too. the reason we can answer with No ETA or something like that is that people call on these things every day and we have alot on order to come in and again these same people call on them every day. if they are avail, when they are, and even the same time i hear about them shipping, not just a yes they are avail, then i will personally tell you myself they are avail and get you one ASAP. it is not just an ambiguous answer.

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 10-01-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I heard about Summit and the Street Warriors... There was a hilarious thread on here about them being a fabled creature. I took their response with a grain of salt. At any rate, if you think you can get me a good answer on the LSX give me a call anytime 443-523-0166. My name is Andrew.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

whats the LSX iron blocks selling for these days??
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

$2k + shipping so far, unless the pricing changes when they go off backorder....has happened before
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

$2k + shipping so far, unless the pricing changes when they go off backorder....has happened before
Thanks.

And these are from the new USA foundry???

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

I realized this would be an extremely inflamatory post after I entered it. I am known for blurting out what immediately comes to mind in "real life" but I can usually filter it before it hits the keyboard, lol. My apologies,

Larry

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 10-01-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
Good price for no plugs, possible cam bearing issues, possible overheating issues, and 5 out of 6 blocks needing to be replaced under warranty, lol. Maybe the new foundry and minor overhaul will fix all of this crap? Hopefully because I would like to use one.

Larry
You believe to much from the internet. With all the blocks sold your going to have a few that are defective. If you were an engine builder and had experiance with aftermarket blocks you know that from time to time a bad one gets out. Certainly it's more like 1 in 100, geez get real.

No problems with the cam bearings. Some were on the low side of spec so they were tight. Fixed that.
No cooling issues unless you have a twin turbo Corvette running around the streets of Vegas in 95+ heat. Hmmm, maybe they need some air flow through the radiator.....

The plugs are all there, maybe if some people didn't remove the dowels from the mains they would not need to source new dowels. Hey, its what they want and we now have dowels available.

Please, get your fact straight before you make mis iinformed comments about the GM Perflormance Parts LSX blck.

Have a good day!

Robin
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

I edited my post Robin L. I hit that "reply post" button a little too quickly earlier I would still like to use an LSX but they have had their fair share of issues. Scoggin posted about the bad blocks and missing plugs, some posted about the bottom end moving around under HIGH hp. Wasn't powdercoating coming off in the coolant passages and early issue as well? (That's a real question, was it?) Not everyone has factory engineers to trouble shoot their builds and I know most LS series engine builders know about any issues and take care of them. I realize I took some of SDPCs posts out of context, maybe I should work for Fox news. My apologies,

Larry

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 10-01-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

I realize I took some of SDPCs posts out of context, maybe I should work for Fox news. My apologies,

Larry
I don't think FOX news would hire you...they talk straight up always. Might want to try working for Contessa Brewer instead.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robin,

Anyone with a wide boring bore or stand or fixture like a Kwik-Way EBF for instance has to remove the main dowels to bore these blocks. Thanks do go out to GM from us for making the dowels available in a pack though as it makes it much easier when you do have to remove them.

As Robin has said nothing is perfect but these blocks are a very nice addition to what we have in the LSx world and I think they will only be even better now which is nice. The bigger lifter bosses and better oiling are also very nice.

Robin, you also need to get them to countersink the top two cam plate bolts as well. It's easy for us to do but otherwise you can't run some chains or any double rollers. We use the same GM bolts as come on the newer GM blocks and cam plates and then you can fit any chain.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They did countersink those bolts and they shrunk the size of that front oil galley cavern by about 2/3 also. It has a few nice little mods for sure.

Kurt
Originally Posted by racer7088
Robin,

Anyone with a wide boring bore or stand or fixture like a Kwik-Way EBF for instance has to remove the main dowels to bore these blocks. Thanks do go out to GM from us for making the dowels available in a pack though as it makes it much easier when you do have to remove them.

As Robin has said nothing is perfect but these blocks are a very nice addition to what we have in the LSx world and I think they will only be even better now which is nice. The bigger lifter bosses and better oiling are also very nice.

Robin, you also need to get them to countersink the top two cam plate bolts as well. It's easy for us to do but otherwise you can't run some chains or any double rollers. We use the same GM bolts as come on the newer GM blocks and cam plates and then you can fit any chain.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I edited my post Robin L. I hit that "reply post" button a little too quickly earlier I would still like to use an LSX but they have had their fair share of issues. Scoggin posted about the bad blocks and missing plugs, some posted about the bottom end moving around under HIGH hp. Wasn't powdercoating coming off in the coolant passages and early issue as well? (That's a real question, was it?) Not everyone has factory engineers to trouble shoot their builds and I know most LS series engine builders know about any issues and take care of them. I realize I took some of SDPCs posts out of context, maybe I should work for Fox news. My apologies,

Larry
Well thanks, and I am sorry if came off heavy handed. It frustrates me sometimes when these issues are re hashed over and over.

I have a lot of respect for Kurt and Erik. These guys live in the real world and deal with the ins and outs of these engines every day.

The engineers and marketing people at GM Performance Parts take what the input from builders such as Kurt and Erik seriously. I don't have a list of the up changes but I can try to find out.

Again I think that the LSX block is a great foundation for a performance build. It's just one of many options.

As Erik pointed out the lifter bore areas are larger and can be bored for larger diameter lifters as well as raised lifters. The OEM blocks that are modified don't have the strength in these areas to support large lifters or big spring pressure.

The oiling certainly is another benifit.

Again just one of many options available out in the LS world.

Thanks

Robin
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"At any rate, if you think you can get me a good answer on the LSX give me a call anytime 443-523-0166. My name is Andrew."

He already explained to you IF and WHEN he gets a better answer all will know. You are coming across as one of those pain in the *** to be customers that will be a constant nightmare no matter what is done for you. I hate this new found mentality that businesses just need to bend over backwards because YOU the customer has some money when the economy is in the shape it is. Scoggin Dickey is a top notch company and shouldn't be lectured on customer service. My .02 as a fellow business owner. Take a chill pill and just WAIT, all you can do, Nobody is going to get one of these blocks any faster. He couldve sugar coated it for you and made up an imaginary date like the "OTHER VENDOR", but he didn't he shot you straight.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robin L
Well thanks, and I am sorry if came off heavy handed. It frustrates me sometimes when these issues are re hashed over and over.

Robin
Face it... you're just a cranky old man!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

When taken out of context, anything can be interpreted.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LOL @ Ed, calling me cranky...

Ok guys, I have asked for some updates and permission to answer some of the questions here. As you know things such as suppliers or sources are off limits. I can understand the reasons.

I asked how to address a vendor change with regard to the LSX block and I got this response.

"The latest LSX block is not so much about "new" features, as it is about maintaining a constant supply of high-quality blocks. The GEN I LSX block was cast in a GM production foundry overseas. This foundry was excellent in producing aluminum LS blocks, but turned out to be not as good at producing the LSX cast iron block to the GMPP Bowtie standards. After struggling with supply interruptions for over a year, it was determined that the only way to cure the problem was to move production. As a result, the "new" LSX blocks are now poured in the same foundry that produces the Bowtie Big Blocks for GMPP, right here in the USA. The GMPP engineering standards and validation process is much more stringent than anyone else in the aftermarket. By working with our foundry close to home, we can maintain a constant dialogue, as well as more closely monitor the casting process at every step of the way. It's real simple: If you start with a less-than-perfect casting, you're not going to be able to machine a finished product to the standards that GMPP designs and our customers expect.
We are confident that these changes, although painfully slow, will guarantee that LSX Bowtie blocks are available daily on demand for years to come."

After reading that I felt as though I could not have said it any better.

The key to control the quality that we deliver to the customer.

Thanks

Robin

P.S. as soon as I get any updates on supply I will let you know. But I will call John at SDPC first.

Last edited by Robin L; 10-01-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The new casting will have a new part number. These blocks should start shipping next week as per our update.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

The new casting will have a new part number. These blocks should start shipping next week as per our update.
John,
Thanks a bunch on getting the update for us! It should go a long way on this forum for those who are interested. I will be calling next week and I will ask for you!

Quick Reply: Foundry location for GMPP - LSX block???