Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NEW LS-R Edelbrock head?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much "additional" NA power are we talking for a head like this over the less expensive current benchmark heads? I mean, if an all-pro set up is like 1/2 price or so of that, and this new set up only makes (for example) 100extra hp, is that really worth the extra $6-8K?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cboggs
That's about normal for a typical high end race head, ...

, . besides that, I haven't seen any discussions on builds that could use this.

c

I have no problem with that price and the intake and everything else that goes along with it.

I agree with that also. all the guys in here saying oh my god at the price dont have the car or the bottom end to need a head like this.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd love to have a set of those heads ontop of my turbocharged 438" LSx.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cboggs
more like splayed valve - pro stock truck technology

c
I would like to know what they flow in the mid .5,.6,.7 range. In my opinion nobody ever built a real N/A motor out of the C-5R head to show its real potential. 500 ci small block isn't it either. Most small blocks in all out N/A dont need to be more than 390 ci cause you cant put enough head on them to feed them not even this one, i know Curtis knows that. I have a C-5R head that flows about 10 to 15 cfm less through the mid range than some of the meanst pro stock truck stuff that was ever out there so I'm curious. I like the head it looks like it has lots of potential and atleast you can get get it unlike some others

And before anyone comments on this " 500 ci small block isn't it either." read my signature.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by pharmd
How much "additional" NA power are we talking for a head like this over the less expensive current benchmark heads? I mean, if an all-pro set up is like 1/2 price or so of that, and this new set up only makes (for example) 100extra hp, is that really worth the extra $6-8K?
It depends on the level of competition. NHRA Pro Stockers spend millions of dollars a year for 2-10hp. Like already mentioned, these probably aren't meant to go on a 7000RPM street car.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

should i sit down now
Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by MAC4264
I would like to know what they flow in the mid .5,.6,.7 range. In my opinion nobody ever built a real N/A motor out of the C-5R head to show its real potential. 500 ci small block isn't it either. Most small blocks in all out N/A dont need to be more than 390 ci cause you cant put enough head on them to feed them not even this one, i know Curtis knows that. I have a C-5R head that flows about 10 to 15 cfm less through the mid range than some of the meanst pro stock truck stuff that was ever out there so I'm curious. I like the head it looks like it has lots of potential and atleast you can get get it unlike some others

And before anyone comments on this " 500 ci small block isn't it either." read my signature.
What's your definition of a "real" small block? Has SAM not been using a C5R in their 3200+lbs "stock suspension" car? Or did they change that since 2007?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what some people are looking to see is an LS race engine like we've seen from other small block racing engines such as SB2.2 , Splayed Valve , Little Chief , Glidden Fords , etc . There have been 1000hp small blocks for a while , I'd like to see a moderate displacement LS achieve that . I think it's great that we can have a 500 cube LS but I would like to see someone taking it to levels we've only seen from unrestricted race engines , the C5R was awesome but had to breath through 2 holes the size of a quarter .
Old 11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v8pwr
I think what some people are looking to see is an LS race engine like we've seen from other small block racing engines such as SB2.2 , Splayed Valve , Little Chief , Glidden Fords , etc . There have been 1000hp small blocks for a while , I'd like to see a moderate displacement LS achieve that . I think it's great that we can have a 500 cube LS but I would like to see someone taking it to levels we've only seen from unrestricted race engines , the C5R was awesome but had to breath through 2 holes the size of a quarter .
That is what I'm getting at. Amen

Originally Posted by KCS
What's your definition of a "real" small block? "'
Read my signature.
SAM's 440 or whatever it is makes only 2.27
Old 11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

1 of you guys should show us how its done.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:42 PM
KCS

Read my signature.
SAM's 440 or whatever it is makes only 2.27
Oh, so for an N/A race engine to be "real", it has to be in Pro Stock territory?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Why on earth would a ps, nmca ps, or hs class car spend the $ to run ls stuff when traditional stuff is proven, reliable, and cheaper to build? Not that anything is cheap at that level.
This head may convert a few of these racers. While the hp/ci ratio thing is cute, I'll never get my 4th gen light enough to enjoy the weight brake of a 360ci motor.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I would like to know what they flow in the mid .5,.6,.7 range.
The mid numbers are going to vary depending on several things, ..
valve size, application and how the valve job is adapted to that, ..
I have one that's,
.5 - 356
.6 - 392
.7 - 418

But this is just with one of my standard flow bench valves, .. not something
made for the head, .. I'm sure there's more there.
BUT, .. just a flow number isn't everything, .. the port CSA, shape, aproach angles
to the back of the valve, bowl, chamber, .. all play into power.

I'd LOVE to see someone try and take this to the same level as a comp engine, ..

That's a bad *** C/A, ..

Curtis
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When heads start flowing over 400 cfm or even close to 400 cfm......its the intakes that become the weak link. There's no sheet metal or plastic style intake that won't choke the **** out of a 400+ cfm head.

So I think its waste of money, unless you're gonna use a different type of intake like a dual carb style or an ITB intake.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

When you get beat by someone with this set of heads, then yes it is worth it.

These heads are meant for use with nothing less than a Prostock STYLE intake. Maybe a huge cast single plane, but only in a class that requires as such.

The people that have a problem with the price on heads like this really should go bog down another thread because they don't have a clue what it costs to really go fast.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying that there have not been some "real" LS builds but the engine has some great features in it's original design and I believe that with some of the products available today a significantly higher level could be attained . I can't do it and I'm not saying who can or can't , I'd just like to see it done . The majority of extreme builds use forced induction as if there's no glory in achieving great results naturally aspirated . I'm blown away by Top Fuels outright power & extreme but I love seeing the competition in Pro Stock . I'm just fascinated by a high rpm naturally aspirated V8 . A properly designed intake would allow someone to use these heads from RFD to their potential . I don't think anyone considering them would use a sub standard intake , it'd be almost criminal and definitely dumb . How long before we have 500 cfm capable heads and someone using them ? I look foward to seeing these @ PRI .
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

I think these things are awesome for N/A or nitrous car. Me personally, I will spend the money on a nice pair of twins and make 1600hp. Pro Stock and the high end Comp classes are amazing... but they are also for the person who has an infinite budget and doesnt mind spending it over and over in an effort to win.

By the way, awesome C/A you got there!!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing in this thread I find amusing is the original post. It is kind of worded like they found something randomly searching the internet and is wondering about it. Then, you find that the person is someone who worked in designing them.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

Awfully defense over there...

Ok... not a copy ... if you say so Curtis. Funny how the Performance Induction canted valve LSX heads were out two years BEFORE the Rick Roberts' LSR head. Guess Cary should take this as the greatest form of compliment.

We know Cary and recognize that ET makes a lot of good product. With that said, the Edelbrock LS-R is a unique product that was designed independent of anything, custom or production, on the market. We think that when you see the casting you will realize that the Edelbrock head is truly unique. Futhermore, we make the casting necessary to will support the talents of porting professionals like Curtis. We merely provide the blank canvas for them to deliver a finished product.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

No doubt these heads will be the real deal.

Who is gonna be the guinue pig and plop down 15k to work the bugs out of these for us?

Last edited by JBM; 12-02-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW LS-R Edelbrock head?