Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NEW LS-R Edelbrock head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing that makes me concerned about pulling the trigger on these is the resale value of high end lsx stuff. Paul Major, who has one of the best know lsx race cars, cant move an entire engine 100% complete with spare pistons and rods for 18k. Something to consider...
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBM
Another thing that makes me concerned about pulling the trigger on these is the resale value of high end lsx stuff. Paul Major, who has one of the best know lsx race cars, cant move an entire engine 100% complete with spare pistons and rods for 18k. Something to consider...
He could part it out.

Sold my old motor in less than a day, Had Cary's C5R heads and his intake.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
The only thing in this thread I find amusing is the original post. It is kind of worded like they found something randomly searching the internet and is wondering about it. Then, you find that the person is someone who worked in designing them.
Thats funny! Im trying to finish this head up also to get ready for PRI..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Heads look good Curtis. Nice to see them done. I spent a lot of time at the Edelbrock booth last year at the PRI show looking at the first castings.

I don't care about the exact flow numbers. As long as they have the correct cross section and throat they should be good to go. OK the flow bench will tell us if they are in the ballpark

I would love to try a set in a Nitrous build. I have encountered several problems with the inline heads. Well the heads are fine but the inline valve aspect forces some things in the piston design that are not what I like.

Hopefully with the rotated valve locations I might not need to have such a thin area at the exhaust and intake valve reliefs.

The SAM engine at 2.27 is pretty stout. Remember it is still an inline head. Now if you want to play with the Ford/Yates or GM SB2 stuff your going to see the benifit of the canted valve design,

See you at PRI.

Robin
Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

The school did an awesome job with their combo. It ran VERY well down the track at memphis..especially at the weight they had to run..weather conditions werent to shabby either!

I thought those DR heads were suppose to be legal for nmca PS?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HCCH
We got one at our shop months ago and had a good look at it and they were areas in the casting that thin and needed revised. They made some changes and we got the newer one a week ago. I'm looking forward to working on it.
Let us know how the new casting works out.

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 12-12-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Brian,

Don't know why Rick doesn't respond to you, . unless he's busy.

I have had NO issues working with him, sometimes it takes a few days
for a return call, .. or to understand an e-mail with some specs
is received and noted without the need for a return.

He's been very good working on this head as well as others I've had direct
influence on the design.
After the first revision, that was never intended as a final release, .. I don't think they'll be issues, ..

curtis
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robin L
Heads look good Curtis. Nice to see them done. I spent a lot of time at the Edelbrock booth last year at the PRI show looking at the first castings.

I would love to try a set in a Nitrous build.

See you at PRI.

Robin
Robin,

Thanks for the kind words, .. we should talk about you trying a set, ..

Curtis
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
The school did an awesome job with their combo. It ran VERY well down the track at memphis..especially at the weight they had to run..weather conditions werent to shabby either!

I thought those DR heads were suppose to be legal for nmca PS?
Yes that is what I thought also. Now the preliminary rules are out and non of the new GMPP heads are listed.

I did call and ask about Extreme Street and was told that the LS7LSX 6 Bolt heads were legal. Not the DR heads.

And P/S doesn't list anything. My source of information should be re named "dis information"

Robin
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah thats what I was told at memphis, that they would be legal. Im sure if they were the school would run PS..maybe try another rules revision request??

Maybe we can get Booze to run em
Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC4264
That is what I'm getting at. Amen

Read my signature.
SAM's 440 or whatever it is makes only 2.27
So when did we become Ricers around here? A Sonny's 932 makes 2.25hp/inch for $89k. A stock honda s2000 makes 1.97hp per cubic inch on pump gas. We don't race 1st grade mathbooks though.

Jud will be the first to tell you small cubes make the same horsepowerpower as big cubes with the same top end...just be prepared to replace valvesprings a lot more often...he's already turning well over 10k. In class racing, they've done pretty good in Edelbrock Hot Street with their mustang and their old big block small cube Malibu back in the day.

Back on track though...I'm really excited to see Canted Valves come to LS. The more the merrier and screw the "who's copying who stuff". Within 5 years, I'd expect most of the head manufacturers to follow suit...when they do...prices come down. It's the natural order of things. It seems expensive to a street/strip guy (which most of the people on this forum are), but $15k for a 1000hp capable top end is pretty cheap compared to about any form of naturally aspirated racing out there...circle, drag, whatever.

Last edited by briannutter; 12-08-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by briannutter
So when did we become Ricers around here? A Sonny's 932 makes 2.25hp/inch for $89k. A stock honda s2000 makes 1.97hp per cubic inch on pump gas. We don't race 1st grade mathbooks though.
Exactly, if the SAM engine had stroke taken out it would put out more hp/inch but who cares? It would go slower in that heavy car too as it would lose some power as well.

If you're stuck in a HP/inch class then it would have been a smaller engine from the begining of course and would have been built that way and would be somewhat different as well because of that.

I'm sure that the LSx DR head will end up pretty nice after it is all scienced out in the end by everyone. It will make more Hp/inch on smaller engines like every head and more total power on larger engines like every head.

I'm sure it will make more power than a C5R head in the end as well especially on the bigger stuff.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

I really don't think most of you guys have any idea who Curtis is and he deserves more respect than he is getting here. The guy was only trying to see if he could gain some interest by the LS crowd on this forum.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

I am sure that head will be a seriously awesome piece when through capable of 1100hp on a big engine easy and I know who Curtis is as well. You are right that he is a great guy and I know the head will be as well with guys like him on it.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Malsie68,

I really appreciate your post, .. respect is nice but if I haven't earned it from
these guys , so be it.

I was really interested to hear about high end builds in the LS world and what's going on.
I may be a decent cylinder head designer / engineer, .. but I spend too much
time locked up in my shop like the nutty professor and not enough at the track.

Erik, . nice to see you here, .. .

Curtis
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

I think as time goes by these crazier heads will take off for the LSx stuff. They aren't even legal for most racing yet. People don't know that just like most of the good Ford stuff a lot of stuff isn't allowed in racing especially if it's new and/or better.

It all started when GM was trying to shut Ford and Chrysler down with their canted and hemi stuff. It is still going on and always will be. LSx stuff isn't allowed in at least 75% of racing right now.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:07 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melsie68
I really don't think most of you guys have any idea who Curtis is and he deserves more respect than he is getting here. The guy was only trying to see if he could gain some interest by the LS crowd on this forum.
I know Curtis is one of the most respected/skilled/ sought after head guys in the business. I dont think anyone in the know would send any negativity his way. The discussion is where this level of head and its related cost fit into the current lsx scene. Most lsx cars on here, mine included, evolved from street cars. I dont think anyone has purpose built an lsx n/a nmca class car yet. Too many other PROVEN options out there. Pretty big deal when you look at the $ involved.
I plan to check on the head after PRI next week to see how things are progressing.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JBM
I plan to check on the head after PRI next week to see how things are progressing.
You're in PA, .. not too far a drive from my humble little shop, ..
you're welcome to come down, .. . .. the secret code to get through
the front door is to bring Pizza

Curtis
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

I am glad to see these head designs coming to the LS world but something is getting past people. About 95% of the members on here spend approximately $1000 a year on their cars. I myself can't even afford to put my TH400 in my car lol. But for the guys building real race engines, these are an amazing head that will be something to watch. 1000 HP NA is something that does not come cheap.

And I remember watching a post where a guy took a yellow C6 and built it into a personally owned road racing car that cost almost 100K if I remember correctly. No one gave him **** for spending more money then my house is worth on a car but people are going to complain about a 1000 HP NA capable head being 15K? People are mad as I am because I was not smart enough to get a job to afford heads like these.

And for all the high CFM LS heads out there including these from Edelbrock, I say good job. I kinda lost interest in Edelbrock but after my experience with your victor JR and now seeing these heads I get off my soap box and say nice work.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We haven't touched this head because of these concerns. After we spent LOTS of time getting the Edelbrock SC1 heads to flow 470 cfm on our bench, and then all the time it takes make the CNC program, just to find out the castings are junk. Then Rick won't take the time to email me back, the whole deal left a bad taste in my mouth. Below is a picture of a SC1 head with a hole from the water jacket to the head bolt hole, guess how happy my customer was to hear of this...after we had already welded the heads in six other areas...
There are issues with the LSR castings too Brian but there's no way I'm getting into this on here. Heaven forbid you be constructive.

Quick Reply: NEW LS-R Edelbrock head?