Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427 RHS or Stock LS7 block???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
a warhawk block is another good option, and they are 6 bolt per cylinder.

what exactly is the RHS block ? i never heard of it

anybody have a link ?
RHS Block
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=LSBlock
Old 12-16-2009 | 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

that RHS block is beautiful
Old 12-16-2009 | 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

+ 1 for ERL Superdeck Block. ERL is great to work with too.
Old 12-16-2009 | 09:33 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

ERL is a nice piece.. but with the RHS coming in at a similar price, and it's a solid cast in design with other added features like the raised cam, better oiling, I'd just take that route, you can't go wrong there.
Old 12-16-2009 | 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The warhawk block is nice im running one and i have 3 friends running one with no issues
Old 12-16-2009 | 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
ERL is a nice piece.. but with the RHS coming in at a similar price, and it's a solid cast in design with other added features like the raised cam, better oiling, I'd just take that route, you can't go wrong there.
Nothing against the RHS, as I was going to buy one except for the limitations on bore size. However, the ERL was MUCH cheaper than the RHS block. I'm specifically speaking about the Superdeck 1 (standard height). Used LS2 blocks are a dime a dozen and I picked mine up for $350 (local). I supposed if you are pricing things out new (new LS2 block), or paying outright w/out supplying a core, then yes, it's a lot closer in price.

Again, I agree that the RHS block is a nice piece with a lot of great design features. No doubt.

That said, there are still a few things I like more about the ERL block over the RHS block.
Old 12-16-2009 | 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

I dont like the sleeve design on the RHS block, It is more like a dry sleeve,and has 2 different sections at the bottom of the sleeve where it is clearanced for rod bolts... I guess for the 4.6" stroke... has anyone else seen what Im talking about?
Old 12-16-2009 | 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I understand the whole thing about sleeving an engine. I do have some concerns about sleeving an engine to make it handle a larger bore, stroke. What I do like about the RHS is it already comes with a raised cam, but after reading about the ERL, I like thier stuff too. Now I'm sure that thier isn't a perfect block out there, but if I'm going to spend some cash, I'd like to do it right the first time.
I to just noticed that Katech just released an engine for 10k!! Yikes, just for the block? Maybe it's just me, thinking that if it wasn't meant to be sleeved to the stock size then you are dealing with problems later on? In saying that, I have received Pm's that explain how well thier engines perform with what they have done. Now I'm sure that they all are very well designed. But what I would like to hear is real life testimonials from the guys who actually use thier stuff. Not someone who get's perk's from the companies who build thier engines either. I'm sure that they have had thier share of problems, but I haven't heard anything negative about thier products. No product out there has been perfect. I want to hear some of the things learned about what does work and what doesn't.
Now in saying that, I'm not trying to be a hardass about this. I just feel that if I'm going to spend some cash, I'd like to know the pro's and cons of each builders ideas. Like why is an ERL better than a LSX, RHS and so on? What type of reliability problems have people had with pressed in liners wet or dry.
Since for right now all I would like to build is a 427 N/A, possibly FI later in life. Reliability is key for this set up right now.
Hope you can understand what I'm getting at.

Thanks to all who have PM'd me, I am really learning a lot.
Old 12-16-2009 | 03:05 PM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

The katech block I do belieev starts off as a dart billet block, then katech plates the liners into the bores... that's an expensive way to go, but they have track records on their stuff holding up, so I'm sure it's a solid piece.

RHS, vs the erl, I'm talkign clean start price, with no core to turn in, in that aspect, the price is about the same.

The somewhat limited bore on the rhs is o.k., any more then a 4.16 and you don't have much gasket left to seal things up so I really wouldn't do any bigger for a power adder motor.

The other aspect of the rhs I like better is the oiling, the oiling is better by far then the stock oiling system that you're somewhat stuck with if you have a factory block, the bay to bay breathing is very good with the RHS as well.

Not to say that the ERL isn't solid, there's a good # of them out there making power, I just look at the RHS block and they did everything right to make sure it had all the shortcomings of the available options covered. Bottom of the sleeves, the notching, that is for the long stroke clearance. I don't believe that will be an issue though, tall deck the piston will be way away from that unless you're actually trying to max it out, and I'd think the short deck wouldn't have the notches in it like that.
Old 12-17-2009 | 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mebuildit
It seems that the more I read on here the more I get confused on which way I should be going with my build.
I tend to be more of the overkill type of guy, like if one part will work ok but another part for more money will be better, I always choose the better of the two. It's a disease coming from the drag racing world that I came from.+
Now in saying that, I have posted on here before about building a 427 dry sumped engine. For right now the engine will be going into my desert buggy. But my gut feeling is telling me that if/when I sell that car I plan on keeping this engine for another project.
So in saying that, would it be worth buying a RHS block now to possibly help me later down the road? Or is the LS7 good enough to handle the power of possibly FI in the future?

Is the difference in price worth doing it?

Thanks in advance guys, I need to just quit reading and just do it. So I will have enough money saved up by this summer to pull the trigger.

LS7 block or RHS???
Lunati crank
Callies rods
Weisco Pistons
WCCH Heads
Jesel rockers
Jesel timing set
Jesel Lifters
Add your comments here:_________________
Looking at this from a pure cost and quality standpoint, it’s a no brainer. The ERL block is cheaper and stronger.... And the options on the ERL block are extensive.

The folks on here that are looking for a block are street cars and drag racers. Do these car see some abuse?... I’m sure they do. But they see nothing like what the off road racing community can dish out to man and machine.

I’ve used ERL blocks exclusively in my off road racing engines and my Sand Car engines and have had zero issues. And let me tell you... There is NO rest for the engine when it’s in one of the platforms. From start up, till the end of the day, these cars/engines are getting the crap beat out of them. And if there’s a weak link, it WILL be exposed. So instead of spending 5000 dollars on a new and unproved block, then spending more money to get it machined, I think I will stick with a proven product, that cost less, and that I know can take a beating...
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since for right now all I would like to build is a 427 N/A, possibly FI later in life. Reliability is key for this set up right now.
IF your staying NA just get a ls7 block and call it a day save the cash

With this said id look into these blocks
1 IF you got the cash BUy the dart billet block hands down. Way over kill

2 ERL or the WarHawk block. IF you look around you can get some good deals on these blocks. There was a place selling the warhawk for 3200 Thats the reason i have 3 friends using the block now and 2 more waiting to build them.

3 RHS block looks nice still little new in my mind plus little more money then the other two.
rasie cam and longer stroke features are cool but. In my mind not worth it for anything but a race car, I dont understand why people keep trying to make these huge LS engines. MY Warhawk 427 has 900RWHP/has seen a **** load of time in the 5-7k rpm zone. few times in the 8.2k for like a min. gets 26mpg highway. over all this is plenty of power out of a 427 so why are people trying to go bigger for the street?

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 12-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2009 | 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Here is another question that I have. If I choose to go with ERL and something goes awry<sp> then I have to go thru the whole thing again with another whole block.
If something goes wrong with the RHS, LSX purpose built engine block I feel that I would be money ahead since we are not modifying a stock block to perform what it isn't designed to do in the first place. Hopefully, I said that right.
I just get a little leary of hacking up a stock block to make it work vs. buying something that is designed for that purpose.
To me that is what makes sense in my head. Not saying modifying the others is bad it's just my thought process, that's all.
Old 12-19-2009 | 09:40 PM
Banned

Well that comes down to how much you bore it out. If you max it out then there is no cleanup room.

Like some people take a LS3 out to a 418 where we do a 416 for just that. Leaves room for cleanup.

Talk to ERL and let them educate you on it. Catastrophic breakage can happen in either block to trash it and it won't be the blocks fault.
Old 12-20-2009 | 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mebuildit
Here is another question that I have. If I choose to go with ERL and something goes awry<sp> then I have to go thru the whole thing again with another whole block.
If something goes wrong with the RHS, LSX purpose built engine block I feel that I would be money ahead since we are not modifying a stock block to perform what it isn't designed to do in the first place. Hopefully, I said that right.
I just get a little leary of hacking up a stock block to make it work vs. buying something that is designed for that purpose.
To me that is what makes sense in my head. Not saying modifying the others is bad it's just my thought process, that's all.
Not sure what you mean... But you can bore a ERL Super Deck block to 4.200"... How much can you bore a RHS block?
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:16 PM
8 Second Club

You can always get a new liner thrown in if you **** up one or two liners in the ERL or the RHS.
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Not sure what you mean... But you can bore a ERL Super Deck block to 4.200"... How much can you bore a RHS block?
you can also bore out the new darton sleeves for the ls1 and ls2/7 to 4.2. and alot cheaper to do then erl. IMO
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by themack56
you can also bore out the new darton sleeves for the ls1 and ls2/7 to 4.2. and alot cheaper to do then erl. IMO
ERL uses Darton sleeves. ERL does a lot of structural upgrades to the block other than just installing the new sleeves
Old 12-20-2009 | 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolrayz
ERL uses Darton sleeves. ERL does a lot of structural upgrades to the block other than just installing the new sleeves

overkill IMO. too much money for a block. this is my opinion though. that extra work that they do to make the block stronger is realy pointless with a bad tune/combo. its always in the tune. get a resleeved block from Steve at RED and dont look back
Old 12-20-2009 | 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Guys, thanks a lot for all of your input on this subject.
I guess when the time comes here soon, I will make my final decision.
Now as long as something else doesn't come out that is better, I should be fine. But with my luck, a month after I pull the trigger on this engine, something else will pop up and really mess with my head. Oh well, either way, thanks again guys.
Old 12-20-2009 | 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by themack56
overkill IMO. too much money for a block. this is my opinion though. that extra work that they do to make the block stronger is realy pointless with a bad tune/combo. its always in the tune. get a resleeved block from Steve at RED and dont look back
LOL mid 7's in the quarter @ 200mph is absolutely pointless

Quick Reply: 427 RHS or Stock LS7 block???