Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT swap oil system questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation VVT swap oil system questions

Hey guys,

I'm getting considerably closer to having my L92/T56 drivetrain swap completed in my GTA, & I've just started questioning a couple of things - I'm hopeful that someone here can chime in with answers...
First off, since the L92 is a truck engine, am I creating a potential problem by swapping to the F-body oil pan? I don't recall the capacity for each pan off the top of my head, but I do recall hearing of drain-back issues with LS-series engines, where high RPMs can pull the pan dry... I'm hoping to occasionally take part in some road-race/open-road events, so this question isn't entirely theoretical.

Second - what is the "typical" oil pressure in a VVT engine? I know that it's considerably higher than in a "normal" engine, but I don't think I've seen a value for it. I've just purchased a mechanical Auto Meter 0-150 psi gauge to monitor it, so I'd like to know the normal range to watch for.

Finally, I've upgraded from the plastic to the copper line for that gauge - anyone happen to know the burst rating for that line? I would think that Auto Meter wouldn't offer a mechanical gauge unless the feed line to it was able to handle the full rated pressure of the gauge, but hell, I've been wrong before...
Thanks guys, any hard/definite info is much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not a fan of those copper OP lines... Seen one too many problems with them on roundy round cars. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to some aeroquip braided and have the piece of mind for the 75 bucks or thereabouts it will cost you