Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:39 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Shes alive!

I managed to get it started today and it sounds pretty damn evil so Im quite pleased as of now even though I still need to get it tuned and finish up a few cosmetics but Im damn pleased to hear it purr. Very snappy off the throttle even untuned its surprising. I was hoping to hit the track at least once this year but that probably wont happen now seeing as it closes next weekend. Anyways I said Id update and I will do so here and likely in another thread once I get it dyno'd
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

No track this year its closed and sadly I probably wont hit the dyno this year either. I have sorted out all the gremlins in the tune to get it running normally which was no small concern trying to get this e38, VVT, VSS, and the t56 all working together but its good to go now. So at this stage I will probably be heading to the dyno in late March as snow is on its way but at least I got a few runs in with it this season.

The thing flies even untuned
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Snow on the ground!!!

I was hoping for one good weekend of gremlin free cruising too. Blah
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Update on this finally. Sorting out the tune with VVT and the t56 was a major pain. The ECM kept searching for go/nogo signals from the TCM/BCM which are no longer there so we worked a LOT of workarounds but the good news is.... Its done and runs rather brilliantly much to my happiness.

The cam itself is great in terms of street worthy'nessn but no dyno and no track yet. The weather here is horrible so theres little I can do for now but I'll update this again with numbers as soon as I have them.

6.2Ls ROCK!!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,538 Likes on 2,179 Posts

Being its a custom camshaft, I doubt your willing to share specs, but it never hurts to ask. My builder wants to cut me a custom shaft this week, but the variables of the vvt stuff kinda make me nervous in going that route. I'm sure you're aware of the lifts that TSP is advertising in their vvt lineup, and I must say those are some impressive numbers for a vvt cam. I've talked to mast, and their pricing is outrageous, and they won't tell me what I'm buying spec wise, so it's a no for them. TSP is much more conservatively priced and willing to help with questions, and they claim big numbers. I can get a custom grind much cheaper, but I'm unsure of the performance factor with an untried grind. I need a vvt camshaft yesterday, but this is confusing. Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Any thoughts?
YEP. Click here.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'm sure you're aware of the lifts that TSP is advertising in their vvt lineup, and I must say those are some impressive numbers for a vvt cam."

Yes they are impressive numbers and they are able to do it by limiting the movement of the VVT camshaft. A lot has changed since this thread was first posted. I am taking a hard look at the TSP VVT-3 camshaft myself. In fact I am considering the whole package including the L-92/LS3 head exhange.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

The VVT3 is no where NEAR the TR224 for the record in terms of civility. Its gonna make power but that cam is nashty big. Id run it for a more track oriented car but this build i did was a street 95% time 5% track type deal so I dont mind giving up a few ponies for more power under the curve and better manners. Its all about what you goals are when it comes to cams
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
ModSquad

Thanks for the link! I've been wondering how you guys were getting this stuff going. I'm building a street car with an occasional trip to an autocross, so street manners are top priority. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cam
The VVT3 is no where NEAR the TR224 for the record in terms of civility. Its gonna make power but that cam is nashty big. Id run it for a more track oriented car but this build i did was a street 95% time 5% track type deal so I dont mind giving up a few ponies for more power under the curve and better manners. Its all about what you goals are when it comes to cams
This is what drives me crazy. I am running a 369SBC in my 1989 Trams Am an it put down 420rwhp through a 4L60E. The cam is 233/233@ .050 and 280/280 @.006". Lift is .594" with 1.65 rockers. It passes California smog as I put the stock torque converter back in for the smog test. It drives and idles fine. The smog tech did not say a thing. Normally I run a Yank SS4000 stall. The best at the track has been an 11.57 at just under 116mph. 1.57 60'.

I know what you are saying as TSP says to use a 3000 stall or so with the VVT-3. How can my car be that much different? Rhetorical question.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Your absolutely right there. Some peoples version of crazy and uncivilized is anothers person of docile so it really is individual preference thats for sure. Its clear from driving it that this cam picked up MAJOR power over stock but there are bigger cams that can do more but they idle rough, buck and surge when driving, and dont start coming alive until higher RPMs. This particular cam has boom goes the dynamite right off idle and that? I love
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I will step down a notch and go with the TSP VVT-2 camshaft. From what I have read the L92 heads do not need a big camshaft to make good power.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing

Any new updates on the performance aspects of the various offerings for VVT motors?

Roach
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

It must be in the air lately ive been getting asked a lot about this... Anyways at this point Ive put about 4000 miles or so on it. No track, no dyno, but it runs great. Im shifting at 6800 running the stock L92 valves and rockers with PAC1518 beehives and all good. Theres still a few things in the tune to try out but overall its hit the mark in terms of the TR224 comparison id say its a very similar cam BUT.... has 1500 RPM more usable power band. It comes on at 2000 RPM and pulls HARD allllllllll the way to the limiter where the TR224 seemed to wake up at 3500.

1&2 are now both pretty much useless on the street even with a sticky tire which is likely a combo of the increased cubes and the benefit of lots of cam advance down low so VVT is winning there.

Im having some shifting issues the dreaded pedal stuck so im hoping a tick master solves this if not its new clutch time im not really digging the way this Tex Z grip drives on the street anyways. Dyno soon, track as soon as I get the shifting sorted. I'll post up results when I have them

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Looking forward to your results.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
It must be in the air lately ive been getting asked a lot about this... Anyways at this point Ive put about 4000 miles or so on it. No track, no dyno, but it runs great. Im shifting at 6800 running the stock L92 valves and rockers with PAC1518 beehives and all good. Theres still a few things in the tune to try out but overall its hit the mark in terms of the TR224 comparison id say its a very similar cam BUT.... has 1500 RPM more usable power band. It comes on at 2000 RPM and pulls HARD allllllllll the way to the limiter where the TR224 seemed to wake up at 3500.

CAM
So who spec'd your VVT cam? ....Patrick G.?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yes PatG custom grind EPS cam
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by cam

1&2 are now both pretty much useless on the street even with a sticky tire which is likely a combo of the increased cubes and the benefit of lots of cam advance down low so VVT is winning there.

Im having some shifting issues the dreaded pedal stuck so im hoping a tick master solves this if not its new clutch time im not really digging the way this Tex Z grip drives on the street anyways. Dyno soon, track as soon as I get the shifting sorted. I'll post up results when I have them

Thanks for posting this information. There are several posts on this site where the informer claims that the vvt stuff is useless, and that there is no way it could compete with a non vvt engine, but I have yet to see an apples to apples comparison. This posting is pretty close, and you tell us the engine pulled more down low, where the vvt technology should be showing gains. Thanks again. This should Hopefully encourage the vvt crowd. Keep us updated with any new info.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Actually its the exact opposite. In my case we're using VVT up top, not down low. The cam is ground to perform down low hence the wider sep and advance but we modify the cam phase up top so it doesnt fall off. I have the phase limiter holding the cam in place until 5000 or so when the cam retards. We played with it for a while but I still have to get more tuning sorted out. Its been an interesting build to say the least.... lots of hurdles.

But regarding VVT itself? Theoretically speaking theres no arguing it plain and simple it makes more power period...... Its not just GM we're late to the game for crying out loud everyones in on it the **** works. From the get go this stuff made sense to me I just dont know why it boggles so many... I suppose if you could feel what one tooth of cam retard on a timing belt of a 2.2L Dodge Shelby did youd want it too LOL Seriously that was my first foray into cam timing in highschool. A buddy built a pretty smokin fast Shelby 2.2 Dodge and retarded the cam timing but moving the timing belt one tooth. It was THE fastest four banger in town for a while before he blew it up.... Dodge....

that **** always be blowing up yo
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cam

But regarding VVT itself? Theoretically speaking theres no arguing it plain and simple it makes more power period......
I'm glad your car is running well, and that you're pleased with the results. I look forward to seeing results to back up your theory, because so far, noone else on here has proven the theory on our 6.0s and 6.2s.

I agree in theory but there are these practical issues with our gen IVs. The question remains: When you go to the bigger cams that require the bigger springs does the lack of phaser control out-way the benefits of vvt? Cams like the tsp vvt2 and 3 really need dual valve springs and probably a c5-r timing chain, but then the vvt might not work right and you lack some high rpm safety.

Quick Reply: Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam