Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Question regarding "degreeing in" a VVT camshaft. I have been searching including watching a Comp Cams video on installing a VVT camshaft and I have yet to see anyone degree in a VVT camshaft.

So does one just install it dot-to-dot and call it good? Maybe just check the piston to valve clearance? I received my VVT3 cam from TSP and there is not a cam with it.
You posted in our PTV VVT thread, so I'm not following your statement that no one's done it...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vvt-cam-2.html

If you use the correct phaser for your cam core, you install dot-to-dot and you're set. Since you can't compare what you find to a cam card, as long as you get numbers that make sense, you have to take it on faith.

Sorry to step on your thread again CAM...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No worries its all good. Its not often I get caught up in frustrating threads anymore but I started this one so I feel its only right I finish it and as of now I have old lagging memories and little else to offer until I get my numbers to share.

I have zero to gain by posting anything here other than trying ( keyword TRYING ) to help anyone else out there who is curious about a VVT cam swap that is worth the hassle which is what REALLY rots my socks off. No good deed goes unpunished i guess. I spoke with a lot of people when I started this build and was really focsued on the cam itself and had a much better understanding of it all then.

Anyways theres lots of other great threads about what needs to be done and how to check for PTV with VVT and whatnot. But after all the gremlins that popped up on this swap im totally burnt out of explaining each step of the way hence my edgy responses. Hell I barely post anymore as a result this build was brutally complicated on so many fronts and the cam was truly one of the easiest things to deal with because I simply clicked

here

I just wanna go fast and I like to build stuff that lasts the test of time and punishment. Im not the guy who builds the car that makes 5 fast passes and blows up. Even the tune is street safe its not about extracting every last drop of power its really about smiles per mile as I like to say.

I must say though that now that its done? It drives very VERY nicely. Only thing im really not happy with is the Tex Z grip its too radical a clutch for DD use plus im having shifting issues but now that the engine is sorted out its so cherry pie I bomb around pretty much everyday somewhere.

If I was to compare this cam just on driving style vs the TR224 Id say its milder. Im sure the larger cubes mellow it out further than it would behave on a 346 plus the DBW is a hell of a lot easier to tame at low RPM than a cable TB but its pretty smooth. Nice idle though. I can at least post a vid of that sometime soon to get back on track with this thread LOL.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'If you use the correct phaser for your cam core, you install dot-to-dot and you're set. Since you can't compare what you find to a cam card, as long as you get numbers that make sense, you have to take it on faith."

Thanks, that makes it perfectly clear.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Heres a pic of the install
Attached Thumbnails Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam-cams_l92-9.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Very clean install.!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, very clean install. I did not see what car you have the motor in but it looks like a 3rd gen Camaro or Firebird. What size headers did you wind up using?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam, I really didn't mean to get you all bent out of shape. I just disagreed with
with one of your statements and this is a public forum.

I think you probably picked a great cam and it sounds like great results. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cam
Pretty much.

So this cam I have its a 114 cam. But installed at a 110. Then we use the phaser to roll it out to 116 or so ( I haven't even looked at what the latest is i keep messing with it but Ive had it as far as 122 LOL )
Doesn't that require a adjustable timing set then? What did you use? If you don't mind a few more questions. LOL. What was your build plans/goals along with your vehicle . gears etc.... as you gave to Patric G.? Reading this thread makes me want to try a Patric G. VVT cam too. I might have to pic up another LY6.

thanks,
Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Futureusers'1 Vengance cam seems like a great cam too. Good thing I don't even have my swap running yet LOL..... or I'd have to make up my mind on to do a Pat G VVT cam or Vengance's LS3 cam
Old 07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry that I have not posted on this thread. I have an LY6 with the TSP VVT-2cam and good tune with the E-38 pcm and yes it has been a long road to finish. In the end I am very happy with the end results. I have about 10K on this setup and it will get mid 20s MPG and put 430 to the wheels.
Im glad to answer any questions and share tunes.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hicksport
I have about 10K on this setup and it will get mid 20s MPG and put 430 to the wheels.
Im glad to answer any questions and share tunes.
Any build threads? more details?

thanks,
JIm
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My build is on thirdgen.org not letting me post a link...

Quick Reply: Lets find the TR224 version of a VVT cam