Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 cam phaser...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 cam phaser...

I just thought id ask in a different way since my other oil pump questions havent been answered; if I have a L92 VVT motor and the cam phaser ***** up and goes to its "default" position, the motor will run fine and just lack a bit of power, and obviously the stock oil pump is still pumping. Is there a difference in this scenario VS. me leaving the VVT oil pump in place, eliminating the VVT cam and running a normal cam?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Why do you assume if the VVT "***** up" it will go to it's
default position? If the phaser breaks then your engine going for a dump
is not far behind. It not all that clear what your asking here...

Do you want to run the VVT or not? What are you building here?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

I can't say for 100% certainty on a stock L92 but I can say on my L92 with a Mast cam that without a phasor restrictor the exhaust valves can hit the pistons when oil pressure goes to zero. I am 99% sure that would be the case with a stock cam profile as well.

if you are worried about the phaser I would talk to Mast about their phasor restrictor. I didn't have it on mine when it was first built but while the engine is in the shop from the oil pressure failure it will be getting added.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this before I left for school this morning anyhow, what I was getting at was that I took a stock L92, VVT, non AFM, and added forged rods and pistons and a regular cam ( removed the VVT ) I have read conflicting information about whether or not I can use the stock oil pump with my motor the way it sits or if it will provide too much oil and pump the pan dry, but im wondering what is the difference ( in theory ) between my motor ( L92 with a regular cam ) and a L92 with vvt that isnt functioning but has all the VVT equipment intact, and its just pumping oil through it.

Now at this point, the new oil pump is just a drop in the bucket as far as budget goes, so im not trying to avoid spending $100 on a pump, but I want to know if anyone actually knows anything about these pumps or if everyone just repeats that you cant use them because one guy a long time ago said it causes problems.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Your point of "someone said this a long time ago and everyone kept regurgitating it" is valid and should definitely be considered when making decisions based of info you find on the boards ESPECIALLY when it's John q public instead of a reputable member or sponsor.

As for the pumps I too have read a plethora of warnings about changing the oil pump out especially when swapping from a DOD set up. It seems the common opinion when swapping from a VVT only engine over to a conventional cam set up then the oil pump can stay.

Of course all of this is based on posts I've read on a few boards. My thoughts? When in doubt change it out
Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dod oil pump has a gear set that is about .100 wider than the pumps in the non dod engine so it can keep up with the volume of the dod or piston oilers. If you have a pan with enough volume or keep the rpm in factory limits the pump would work out ok I would think. If you raise the rpm while using a stock capacity pan or drive the engine in land speed or highway hero type use where the engine needs to sustain higher rpm for longer periods of time than the added volume will pump more oil possibly causing the engine oil to resemble shaving cream after a few seconds at sustained rpm. Shaving cream oil will still make pressure and flow, but eventually the rod bearings will not be happy followed by you not being happy!
I personally would rather see the stock type pump with a larger volume pan used if the car will be used for spirited driving, but many people get away with the factory pan. The best factory pan in my opinion is the truck pan, but it won't fit most cars.

Kurt
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

well im going to be running an LS2 pan I just bought in favor of knocking the truck pan off in my s-10 , and intend to buy a new pump at this point as well. thanks for the additional info. I dont plan on running this thing at high revs all the time, but it will definitly get stomped on, thats why im building it!

Quick Reply: L92 cam phaser...