Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

58X Crank in 6 liter block w/ older style cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58X Crank in 6 liter block w/ older style cam sensor

New to this forum thing and to the LS world in general....I have a question for all of you LS gurus out there. I decided to jump into the 21st century and build an LS engine for my '66 LeMans. Started out with a 6 liter truck engine core, bored the block .030 over, got a callies stroker crank (4.000 stroke), compstar rods, diamond forged pistons, comp cams big ***** thumpr cam, new lifters, 3/8 pushrods, oversized valves, victor jr carbureted intake, MSD box, 11:1 compression, roller rockers, etc.... basically trying to do everything right with good quality parts.

Anyway, here is my situation: this block originally came with a 24x tooth reluctor wheel on the crank. When we ordered the new stroker crank, all the company said they had were the 58 tooth reluctor wheels (apparently the 24 tooth reluctor wheels haven't been made in a number of years and the replacement supply has just about run out). The MSD controller I purchased is for the newer generation engine with 58x reluctor wheel.

Question is will this engine run properly with the older style cam sensor (mounted in the back of the block) with the newer style 58x reluctor wheel and newer style MSD ignition box (pn 6012)? I haven't tried to hook anything up yet, just trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

Any information/advice you guys can give me would be very much appreciated!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call MSD tech with that question. I believe they will want the newer upper timing gear that matches the 58X crank wheel for everything to work together. The timing gear you need will have multiple breaks instead of the half moon looking one that was used with 24X cranks.

Kurt
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S.
New to this forum thing and to the LS world in general....I have a question for all of you LS gurus out there. I decided to jump into the 21st century and build an LS engine for my '66 LeMans. Started out with a 6 liter truck engine core, bored the block .030 over, got a callies stroker crank (4.000 stroke), compstar rods, diamond forged pistons, comp cams big ***** thumpr cam, new lifters, 3/8 pushrods, oversized valves, victor jr carbureted intake, MSD box, 11:1 compression, roller rockers, etc.... basically trying to do everything right with good quality parts.

Anyway, here is my situation: this block originally came with a 24x tooth reluctor wheel on the crank. When we ordered the new stroker crank, all the company said they had were the 58 tooth reluctor wheels (apparently the 24 tooth reluctor wheels haven't been made in a number of years and the replacement supply has just about run out). The MSD controller I purchased is for the newer generation engine with 58x reluctor wheel.

Question is will this engine run properly with the older style cam sensor (mounted in the back of the block) with the newer style 58x reluctor wheel and newer style MSD ignition box (pn 6012)? I haven't tried to hook anything up yet, just trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

Any information/advice you guys can give me would be very much appreciated!
You will need a 4x (58x) timing set and you will also need an LS2 timing cover. You will no longer need the rear cam pickup, but keep the sensor in there to plug the hole. Then you will be good to go.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys. Not the best news in the world, but at least I don't have to pull the crank out!

Quick Reply: 58X Crank in 6 liter block w/ older style cam sensor