Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

440 or 454 Stroker, Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
Still deciding the direction Id like to go. Ive had nothing but issues with the magnacharged 403. Right now I have some lifter issues and a possible bent pushrod. Already had to pull the heads to replace headgaskets.The magnacharger is not all I want it to be so its time for a new build.

I still have a low mileage LS2 403 Shortblock and AFR 225 Heads to work with but Im thinking about ditching them for something bigger.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
I've read a lot of engine builder's comments that the LS7 block is good to about 1000hp, boosted or sprayed. LS6427, you seem to think it's closer to 850. Any reasons why?
Yeah, the block is.

I'm talking about the weak stock factory LS7 sleeves......thats the weak point on the stock LS7 engine. Re-sleeve an LS7 or an LS2 block and they become monster strong. Easily hold more than 1,000 hp.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Launching!

I was just reading about resleeving the LS2. Now could I reuse my Callies Dragonslayer Crank and Callies Compstar Rods?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

how about a 4.1 stroke 4.155 bore and a 300 to 400 shot on a lsx block
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
I was just reading about resleeving the LS2. Now could I reuse my Callies Dragonslayer Crank and Callies Compstar Rods?
You shouldn't have a issue reusing them. You are not changing anything that will affect them.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FreakChevy
I mean 4.185 bore X 4.000 stroke = 440 WITH LSX BLOCK!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
The LSX iron block can probably take a dual stage 600 shot with no problem all day long......if its built right. I'm just saying, if you bore the LSX iron block to 4.185 you won't have much gasket between the cylinders and you will blow that gasket pretty soon, possibly the first time you spray it with a 200 shot, unless the tune is just PERFECTION. But it still won't last long that way with a 200 shot.

Once again you have no clue what your talking about.Why you feel so incline to reply to people questions is beyond me. Time and time again you give advise on matters you know little to nothing about. Have you ever built a 4.185 bore motor? Funny how every major engine builder out is building big nitrous motor with over your 4.125 bore recomindation.But hey,"they will possibly blow the gaskets the first time it eats a 200 shot", right?! My advise to the opp is call a engine builder and pick his brain. Don't get advise from the internet on stuff like this.Some people that know will reply like Eric from HKE did,but you will also get people that will repeat everything that they here from there doughter,sister,cousins,friend and try to make you feel like it's the end all truth.Any dumb *** with eyes can tell that the further you bore the motor the smaller the gasket gets between cylinders.Where that becomes a problem is for your engine builder to direct you on.When i built the motor for my race car we went with a 4.100 bore. It has a 114mm billet wheel feeding it though(2000hp). Bit different than a big inch street motor on gas. A 454 will take a 200 shot all day long. It's ridiculous to say otherwise.

Call one of these
LME
HKE
Shawn at virgina speed
Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
Once again you have no clue what your talking about.Why you feel so incline to reply to people questions is beyond me. Time and time again you give advise on matters you know little to nothing about. Have you ever built a 4.185 bore motor? Funny how every major engine builder out is building big nitrous motor with over your 4.125 bore recomindation.But hey,"they will possibly blow the gaskets the first time it eats a 200 shot", right?! My advise to the opp is call a engine builder and pick his brain. Don't get advise from the internet on stuff like this.Some people that know will reply like Eric from HKE did,but you will also get people that will repeat everything that they here from there doughter,sister,cousins,friend and try to make you feel like it's the end all truth.Any dumb *** with eyes can tell that the further you bore the motor the smaller the gasket gets between cylinders.Where that becomes a problem is for your engine builder to direct you on.When i built the motor for my race car we went with a 4.100 bore. It has a 114mm billet wheel feeding it though(2000hp). Bit different than a big inch street motor on gas. A 454 will take a 200 shot all day long. It's ridiculous to say otherwise.

Call one of these
LME
HKE
Shawn at virgina speed
Good advice! I was going to add that our 4.187 bore 454 was built for nitrous... lol
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Call one of these
LME
HKE
Shawn at virgina speed
Just because you can care less about people spending money on an expensive street/strip engine and then running it on the ragged edge.....doesn't mean you should tell people to do it as well.

Its a RECOMMENDATION....not to take a standard LSX iron block to 4.185 bore and then spray it with a big shot. If the tune is not PERFECT every time the gasket will go. Any detonation at all, and bye, bye. Then you have an exspensive block bored to 4.185 and nowhere to go from there except N/A or a little shot. The OP wants a BIG shot. Its smart for people on this forum to let him know that a smaller bore will be SAFER, thats what I told him. Who gives a damn if a few people spray 4.185 bores....its a risky way to play.

I asked Steve at RED about a 454ci I wanted to build last year and he highly recommended I NOT go 4.185 bore with the 250 shot I wanted to spray.

Remove your head from your *** and stop giving stupid advice telling people to push everything to the max.

And BTW, Eric did not comment at all on "nitrous" and a 4.185 build in this thread. Just said a bigger cubed motor revs faster and makes more power.

I'd like to see one builder say that a 4.185 bore is safer than a 4.125 bore for a 250 shot............giving up some cubes when you'll be spraying a 250 shot or bigger to stay safer and more reliable IS THE SMART WAY TO GO..........thats the discussion, stick to it or stay the **** out of the thread.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

some useless inpute. But i've always been partial to the 454ci
Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Just because you can care less about people spending money on an expensive street/strip engine and then running it on the ragged edge.....doesn't mean you should tell people to do it as well.

Its a RECOMMENDATION....not to take a standard LSX iron block to 4.185 bore and then spray it with a big shot. If the tune is not PERFECT every time the gasket will go. Any detonation at all, and bye, bye. Then you have an exspensive block bored to 4.185 and nowhere to go from there except N/A or a little shot. The OP wants a BIG shot. Its smart for people on this forum to let him know that a smaller bore will be SAFER, thats what I told him. Who gives a damn if a few people spray 4.185 bores....its a risky way to play.

I asked Steve at RED about a 454ci I wanted to build last year and he highly recommended I NOT go 4.185 bore with the 250 shot I wanted to spray.

Remove your head from your *** and stop giving stupid advice telling people to push everything to the max.

And BTW, Eric did not comment at all on "nitrous" and a 4.185 build in this thread. Just said a bigger cubed motor revs faster and makes more power.

I'd like to see one builder say that a 4.185 bore is safer than a 4.125 bore for a 250 shot............giving up some cubes when you'll be spraying a 250 shot or bigger to stay safer and more reliable IS THE SMART WAY TO GO..........thats the discussion, stick to it or stay the **** out of the thread.

Funny LME built our 454 with a 4.187 bore for a 300 shot of nitrous and did not feel there should be any problem. Now maybe if it was pushed to a 4.200 bore like the first 454's, but seriously...

BTW that isn't the discussion, that is your opinion!

EDIT: Throw back to the thread that advertised our shortblock: https://ls1tech.com/forums/7962960-post1.html

Last edited by Azrael; 05-10-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Man this one is starting to get good.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I'm currently having a LSX block 454 nitrous motor being built right now. get in contact with g-engines on this forum if you want the real skinny.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

While there is less sealing area between bore at 4.185 than 4.125 you can run both on NOS engines but we do recommend starting smaller on bore sizing with BIG NOS as people burn up so many pistons in general especially when going 300+ and learning how to tune but with good knowledge and experience you can run the larger bores. It is true that the cylinder walls do not get stronger with bigger and bigger bores but the LSx seems pretty strong at 4.185 bore. So as far as I am concerned it depend on where you are in the engine building process and NOS learning curve.

As far as myself I probably wouldn't start out at a really large bore even on my own NOS deal as I know there might very possibly be a few unscheduled rehones in it's future so I wouldn't want to already be near the edge of the block right off the bat. If you are extremely sure of yourself with tuning and your NOS knowledge though you could do it right away but you are potentially taking some life away from your engine if anything bad goes down.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not even going to go through this and dissect all of your bullshit. Can you just disappear from the thread like you always do when you realize how stupid you sound? Few more post and it will be time for another name change for you. No?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by racer7088
While there is less sealing area between bore at 4.185 than 4.125 you can run both on NOS engines but we do recommend starting smaller on bore sizing with BIG NOS as people burn up so many pistons in general especially when going 300+ and learning how to tune but with good knowledge and experience you can run the larger bores. It is true that the cylinder walls do not get stronger with bigger and bigger bores but the LSx seems pretty strong at 4.185 bore. So as far as I am concerned it depend on where you are in the engine building process and NOS learning curve.

As far as myself I probably wouldn't start out at a really large bore even on my own NOS deal as I know there might very possibly be a few unscheduled rehones in it's future so I wouldn't want to already be near the edge of the block right off the bat. If you are extremely sure of yourself with tuning and your NOS knowledge though you could do it right away but you are potentially taking some life away from your engine if anything bad goes down.
The op stated a 200 shot.Wouldn't you agree Eric that this wouldn't be a "big shot" and that the material between the cylinders wouldn't be an issue
as long as a monkey isn't tuning it?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I think it would be alright.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not even going to go through this and dissect all of your bullshit. Can you just disappear from the thread like you always do when you realize how stupid you sound? Few more post and it will be time for another name change for you. No?
Thank you. I am glad someone else noticed besides me.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

LME almost finish my LS7 LSX440ci..I told Bryan that i want to spray 100-150 approx

He recommend ( Stroke 4.00 x Bore 4.185 ) combination

Quick Reply: 440 or 454 Stroker, Which is better?