Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ported LS7 heads and aftermarket heads..all flow same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported LS7 heads and aftermarket heads..all flow same?

Hey guys

lately i noticed Ported LS7 heads, ported LSX LS7 Heads, All pro LSW heads all flow +400cfm...They r all flow same.

What is the advantage now??
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM
HNK
Staging Lane

Glad you asked this question
Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls7 heads

Different chamber and port design. wet flow characteristics. The aftermarket LS7 heads, PI and All Pro, I have seen hands down put up 30 more hp than a ported stock LS7 head even when the flow numbers were close to the same.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so you know-the guy who just answered-knows whats up with heads-he designs some of the baddest ls heads on the planet
Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The advantage now is the new All Pro -2 Race head. We're just finishing up an intake program that will produce 435cfm @ .800" lift. It's on a factory 12º angle and the valves share the same guide spacing as the stock LS7 heads. Valve sizes are 2.250"/1.625". It's designed for large displacement race applications. An excellent choice for classes requiring stock valve angles
Price and availability will start at the end of the month.

Richard
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MOZEZ
Different chamber and port design. wet flow characteristics. The aftermarket LS7 heads, PI and All Pro, I have seen hands down put up 30 more hp than a ported stock LS7 head even when the flow numbers were close to the same.
+1 to everything said. There is a lot more to the type of power a head will produce than flow numbers.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 AM
HNK
Staging Lane

Great to know.

Are you saying that a well ported LS7 will never be as good as the PI and all Pro ones no matter how good they have been ported?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HNK
Glad you asked this question
We r all in same boat bro

Getting ready to get the LSX shortblock plus RR Punisher cam

Thanks for recommendations
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

WOW!!

Is 30bhp or 30rwhp?

What kind of hp/tq u made from ported LS7 heads?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
The advantage now is the new All Pro -2 Race head. We're just finishing up an intake program that will produce 435cfm @ .800" lift. It's on a factory 12º angle and the valves share the same guide spacing as the stock LS7 heads. Valve sizes are 2.250"/1.625". It's designed for large displacement race applications. An excellent choice for classes requiring stock valve angles
Price and availability will start at the end of the month.

Richard
If i already have stock ls7 heads w/SS exhaust valves and HS rockers...

What can i use from my heads in the new all pro heads? What is the estimate total cost would be ?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 AM
HNK
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FreakChevy
We r all in same boat bro

Getting ready to get the LSX shortblock plus RR Punisher cam

Thanks for recommendations
I have that cam in my 440, it not bad at all. If your plans are to go with these new heads, then you might be better off getting a custom one made for your application. Or better yet, go with Solid Roller cam.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HNK
I have that cam in my 440, it not bad at all. If your plans are to go with these new heads, then you might be better off getting a custom one made for your application. Or better yet, go with Solid Roller cam.
Striker cam won't be enough ?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
HNK
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FreakChevy

Striker cam won't be enough ?
I am sure the striker would be a good choice, but with such high tech heads, i would be more tempted to do a solid roller for the extra rpm stability and power. Another option would be the new LSR profiles by CCams.
Btw, whats your ultimate goal?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HNK
I am sure the striker would be a good choice, but with such high tech heads, i would be more tempted to do a solid roller for the extra rpm stability and power. Another option would be the new LSR profiles by CCams.
Btw, whats your ultimate goal?
The Striker or the LSR grinds would be both excellent choices. I've had both in my 441 and its hard to choose which one i like better. Each has there pros and cons but the Striker will make your teeth rattle!! All depends what you want.

Last edited by ramairws6; 05-25-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
HNK
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramairws6
The Striker or the LSR grinds would be both excellent choices. I've had both in my 441 and its hard to choose which one i like better. Each has there pros and cons but the Striker will make your teeth rattle!! All depends watch you want.
Which LSR grind did you have? Do you have power numbers for both? You said had them, what do you have now?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HNK
Which LSR grind did you have? Do you have power numbers for both? You said had them, what do you have now?
Yep, had the Striker in and now i moved on to a custom grind LSR. The Striker had huge top end power from 3500 rpm up and a little lacking in torque at lower rpm's. My custom grind LSR gained almost 20 lbs of torque at peak but lost 10 rwhp at the top end. The drivability is no comparison as the LSR grind is very tame, both have/had great tunes with both in the 110/111 LSA respectively. This is through a 4L60e mind you so this comparison "is what it is". At 2000 rpm's the LSR grind is already at 425 fbls. at the wheel so you be the judge. I really do miss the crazy top end of the Striker when i'm at the track, the thing is brutal!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM
HNK
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Yep, had the Striker in and now i moved on to a custom grind LSR. The Striker had huge top end power from 3500 rpm up and a little lacking in torque at lower rpm's. My custom grind LSR gained almost 20 lbs of torque at peak but lost 10 rwhp at the top end. The drivability is no comparison as the LSR grind is very tame, both have/had great tunes with both in the 110/111 LSA respectively. This is through a 4L60e mind you so this comparison "is what it is". At 2000 rpm's the LSR grind is already at 425 fbls. at the wheel so you be the judge. I really do miss the crazy top end of the Striker when i'm at the track, the thing is brutal!
Which LSR grind did you get, if you dont mind me asking? I was looking at the 289 grind, i think it had about the same Overlap as the striker. What was the track data between the extra TQ you have and 10HP you lost?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HNK
Which LSR grind did you get, if you dont mind me asking? I was looking at the 289 grind, i think it had about the same Overlap as the striker. What was the track data between the extra TQ you have and 10HP you lost?
Sorry, but specs are top secret. Track times i lost about .4 of a tenth respectivley but different track/conditions and different day so you be the judge........
Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you but would like too see these results published.

Hard to drop 5 grand on heads without clearcut expectations.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds pretty much like what we did with our punisher cam. Gives up a few ponies on top, but the torque is awesome with the punisher!!!

We also have a new design about to hit for the guys that want more than the STRIKER!!!

Quick Reply: Ported LS7 heads and aftermarket heads..all flow same?