Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Crazy coolant leak that fix it self?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy coolant leak that fix it self?

i have a fresh LS2 thats stock cubes. im running GM MLS 5 layer head gaskets. TFS 225 heads and ARP head studs.

So this is what happen. i just got the engine back in the car this week. im filling it with water just in case of leaks. good thing too, i look under the car and its leaking water WTF. so i track it down and its coming from a head stud WTF. that cant be unless i have a bad head gasket or a crack head right?
so im im like f@#$ it i finish all of the other samll thing i had to do to start the car. ran the car for 25 mins AND IT STOPED LEAKING. Oh i did put a pressure check on the coolant system to make sue it was the stud,

now i did wash one gasket that i drop on the ground with brake clean and i saw a coating comig off the gasket from the inner layers

so has this happen to any of you? i dont want to pull the head its a pain with the turbos. im going to put some GM coolant sealing pellets in the system as well

thanks for any help you can give my car has been down for 9mo now i want to drive it
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

im going to put some GM coolant sealing pellets in the system as well
Thats what I'd do. I had a truck with a leaky head gasket right at the outside corner so it wasnt getting into the oil or combustion chamber just losing coolant. I would have to add some stop leak tablets about once per year or two. Truck still running this way for almost ten years now ( sold it to a friend years ago so I still know its condition )
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the input
Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Brake clean is powerful stuff so its probably just the sealer washed off. If it takes up with the tablets so long as your compression is tight and theres no issues with the tune or the way it runs I think I'd run it. Turbo engines get torn down often enough so trying to limit that as long as possible would be my approach.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just pull the head and fix it, Nothin worse then buying fix alls in a can. Those pellets just clog up the water system, god knows u dont want hot spots in the heads or block.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

well i run the car some more and it has not leak cold or hot so far but you can bet that ill be looking at it very closely
Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Problems that go away by themselves pretty much always come back by themselves, too. Sometimes they bring a nasty buddy with 'em!!!

Quick Reply: Crazy coolant leak that fix it self?