Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Virginia speed impossible to get a quote

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand. I happen to work in a field that deals with a lot of customers in car what I would consider a luxury service for you car. Lots of estimates that customers have no intention to repair just want that insurance check. Im not going to go into it because the problem is solved. Thanks to Ed. I just thought a month to a month and a half was a long time to get a call back. Even a call saying hey got your info gonna need to call you back in a few weeks. VA speed must be doing something right to stay as busy as they are. All their customers have good things to say. No hard feelings. Hope we can do business in the near future
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

As a business owner and also being very interested in performance, and having dealt with a number of performance shops over the last several years let me say a few things....

You are passionate about cars I hope, you are enthusiasts at heart I hope, but you are also business men and women trying to make it in a very competitive market where customer service is often a distant second to price on customers priority list. Customers will place an order only to call 2 days later after its already been drop shipped from the wholesaler or manufacturer then want a full refund cause they found it someplace else for $15 cheaper (does this sound familiar?). The one main problem I have seen is the consumate problem of the small business owner/entrepraneur...too much working in your business and not enough working "ON" your business. These shops are swamped with business, which means the owner/"skilled worker" is doing all the "shop work", whether it is fabricating, building motors, developing CNC programs, assembling etc. Alot of times they either feel they have to do it all, or feel like they are the only one that can do it right, or simply don't trust anyone else to do it...or they try to get some help in there for a while then let the person go because they didn't do it so suit them (yet they never trained them properly to give them a fair shot because why...they were too busy themselves). This is a BIG problem with ANY small business, and a HUGE issue that ultimately limits growth of shops/buinesses that may have a great product going. I have delt personally with at least 1 shop that has GREAT products, the things they do are second to none when they do them...but you can't get them to do stuff. You may or may not get a call back or an email back, you can contact them with every intention to buy something and you may not get a call or email back for a month. To me that is inexcusable. In my business if a patient waits anymore than 3 seconds at the counter or the phone rings more than twice, an employee better have a freakin good reason.

A huge part of it is hiring the right folks, then TEACHING them (and it doesn't take a HUGE amount of time, but it does take "some" time and "some" effort to "show" them what your expectations are, then when a mistake is made, make the most of that "learning opportunity" to ensure they know how you'd like that situation handled in the future). You gotta delegate the lesser tasks, you have to remove that attitude that you the owner is the only one that can do it, or your the only one who can do it the way that needs to be done (others can and will if you will "SHOW THEM").

When shops are successful and they start seeing rapid growth, its actually previous to this point that they should have been planning and laying the groundwork for growth (by hiring and training staff, and developing a training system where by employee's train each other...ie lower level staff becomes mid level staff, then trains new hires to do lower level staff work). By using a tiered training system, employees raise their position as their knowledge levels grow and they "grow" with the company.

Create a check off sheet that when folks call it is so simple a cave man could take down the info in a logical and complete manner so when the mid level parts or performance guy reads it, he knows what the customer is needing...this way you have minimal expense in the phone person, yet no call goes unansweed. Eventually the receptionist, learns more and is able to being handling some calls on his/her own, etc education leads to more responsibility, more delegation capacity, thus less work on the owner/less stress and growth of the company.

Anyway, I should stop ranting, but I hate to see companies limit their own growth due to poor planning. If they would work with a business coach/financial planner to ensure that they have a strategy for growth, "growing pains" wouldn't happen, and customer service wouldn't suffer...and growth would become seemless with minimal scress on everyone...Planning relieves stress.

"Work on your business NOT IN your business"
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Business is like a tidal surge. Sometimes you're in over your head, sometimes you get beached and stranded. The key is to be able to manage both extremes and to come out ahead.

Summer is engine modding season it seems. I'm guessing that somedays the guys at Va Speed have no idea what time it is other than having their stomachs telling them it's time to eat.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I don't understand is seeing vendors posting on here trying to drum up some more business but not returning phone calls or emails. I think this is them just picking their work.

I would be straight forward with people, answer their inquirys and tell them it will be however many months before a quote or the product can be supplied.
Just my 2 cents worth. I run a business also!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pharmd
As a business owner and also being very interested in performance, and having dealt with a number of performance shops over the last several years let me say a few things....

You are passionate about cars I hope, you are enthusiasts at heart I hope, but you are also business men and women trying to make it in a very competitive market where customer service is often a distant second to price on customers priority list. Customers will place an order only to call 2 days later after its already been drop shipped from the wholesaler or manufacturer then want a full refund cause they found it someplace else for $15 cheaper (does this sound familiar?). The one main problem I have seen is the consumate problem of the small business owner/entrepraneur...too much working in your business and not enough working "ON" your business. These shops are swamped with business, which means the owner/"skilled worker" is doing all the "shop work", whether it is fabricating, building motors, developing CNC programs, assembling etc. Alot of times they either feel they have to do it all, or feel like they are the only one that can do it right, or simply don't trust anyone else to do it...or they try to get some help in there for a while then let the person go because they didn't do it so suit them (yet they never trained them properly to give them a fair shot because why...they were too busy themselves). This is a BIG problem with ANY small business, and a HUGE issue that ultimately limits growth of shops/buinesses that may have a great product going. I have delt personally with at least 1 shop that has GREAT products, the things they do are second to none when they do them...but you can't get them to do stuff. You may or may not get a call back or an email back, you can contact them with every intention to buy something and you may not get a call or email back for a month. To me that is inexcusable. In my business if a patient waits anymore than 3 seconds at the counter or the phone rings more than twice, an employee better have a freakin good reason.

A huge part of it is hiring the right folks, then TEACHING them (and it doesn't take a HUGE amount of time, but it does take "some" time and "some" effort to "show" them what your expectations are, then when a mistake is made, make the most of that "learning opportunity" to ensure they know how you'd like that situation handled in the future). You gotta delegate the lesser tasks, you have to remove that attitude that you the owner is the only one that can do it, or your the only one who can do it the way that needs to be done (others can and will if you will "SHOW THEM").

When shops are successful and they start seeing rapid growth, its actually previous to this point that they should have been planning and laying the groundwork for growth (by hiring and training staff, and developing a training system where by employee's train each other...ie lower level staff becomes mid level staff, then trains new hires to do lower level staff work). By using a tiered training system, employees raise their position as their knowledge levels grow and they "grow" with the company.

Create a check off sheet that when folks call it is so simple a cave man could take down the info in a logical and complete manner so when the mid level parts or performance guy reads it, he knows what the customer is needing...this way you have minimal expense in the phone person, yet no call goes unansweed. Eventually the receptionist, learns more and is able to being handling some calls on his/her own, etc education leads to more responsibility, more delegation capacity, thus less work on the owner/less stress and growth of the company.

Anyway, I should stop ranting, but I hate to see companies limit their own growth due to poor planning. If they would work with a business coach/financial planner to ensure that they have a strategy for growth, "growing pains" wouldn't happen, and customer service wouldn't suffer...and growth would become seemless with minimal scress on everyone...Planning relieves stress.

"Work on your business NOT IN your business"
our business is up over 120% from last year.Pretty much impossible to plan for that-no matter how many business coaches you have.

It's not an excuse-but we had a business plan that got totally blown out of the water about march or april.We should be back in full swing by the end of summer.

Thanks to everyone thats been patient.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not so much a tire kicker as I am a researcher, but then again I'm a freakin scientist, so I ask lots and lots of questions. I'm patient though, and every email I've sent to Va Speed has been returned in a reasonable time frame.

Now that I made my decision, I'm just eager to get my heads/cam from them, but I'm patient... for now. LOL.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
our business is up over 120% from last year.Pretty much impossible to plan for that-no matter how many business coaches you have.

It's not an excuse-but we had a business plan that got totally blown out of the water about march or april.We should be back in full swing by the end of summer.

That wasn't directed @ you guys, I've you all have been more professional than most all the shops I've delt with. Others not so much. You guys will get it worked out, just keep the hammer down..life's a race of sprints that make up a marathon...your just in a sprint right now, you'll get a breather soon, you can regroup and grow more. Can't wait to get my parts, and like Alchemist said, I'm a fairly patient man :-)
Old 06-30-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i went with another builder but shawn was way faster to reply than they were. always a pleasure.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

As a business owner with 1 worker its tough to answer every call and reply to every email as its a fine balance to get the work out while trying to keep old customers and new ones happy

the way i look at it is that you can't please everyone

i mean keep in mind that every engine got about 25++ hours in it x that by 10 or 15 engines plus general stuff around the shop and organizing parts and their goes 6-9 months

Nick--
Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

I give a lot of credit to Shawn at VA speed for getting on the thread getting me in contact with Ed and not getting easily offended as one could in this thread. Like I said before they must be doing something right. Im glad to hear they are doing well in these tough times.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed

Take your time on my stuff. I'm in no hurry. Stay focused and don't let any of these knuckleheads distract you lol.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

For a top level builder and tuner, I actually find them to be very responsive overall. And there build times seem to be lightning fast actually. They seem to get things done...yet still maintain a high standard. I go to some shops who claim they are swamped but have the same cars in the shop for 6+months--at least. No joke!

I'll post more when I visit them in 3 weeks to meet my engine that's going on their engine dyno.

Quick Reply: Virginia speed impossible to get a quote