Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Major engine problem === or is it ?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major engine problem === or is it ?

I have an LS2 out of a '06 GTO transplanted in a classic car. The problem has gotten so bad, the car is undriveable. It started out while I was on a trip. I thought I was running out of gas. Stopped a few minutes, fired it up, drove another 500mi. Happened again. Drove about 300mi., happened again. Stopped at a local shop and was told I needed a crank sensor. Replaced it. After that, it ran great for about 1000 mi. except that when I stopped for gas or for few minute break, then started the car, it acted like it was in vapor lock. Shuddering, missing, etc.. When I got to about 30-35 mph, it cleared up and seemed to run fine. This happened every time I stopped. The problem seemed to happen only when the car was at operating temperture. Now it has progressed to happening all the time. Went to another shop and they replaced the crank sensor again, saying that code was popping up. Worked for about 2miles, then started again. Today I had to restart the car 4 times just to get it into a bay at a friends body shop. It spits and sputters, backfires, and now quits. It will restart ok, but it won't take any gas, or isn't getting any gas. Since the friends shop is about 65 miles from me, I'm hoping not to have to get it "rolled back" to where I live. What could cause this ? Any suggestions will be welcome. I'm going to look for a mechanic that is local to where the car is, but it's a small town, and I may not have any luck, that's why I hoping to get some suggestions here. Sorry to be so long, but this is a real delimna for me.

Last edited by thomaswatk; 07-10-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: mistaken about the MAS
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a wiring issue. Exactly what code is popping up?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

yes, please list all codes?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Teching In

The mechanic didn't tell me which code or codes came up. I guess I'll have to wait until I find someone else to check it out. I had hoped that my description of the problem would generate some thought. Maybe the same thing had happened to someone else and they could relay what fixed it. Guess I'll have to wait until next week when I can have it towed somewhere to see what the problem is.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Fuel Filter? It will do strange stuff if it's dirty...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. That was my first thought. I even took the wire going to the fuel pump off and jumped it stright from the battery. Didn't help. I hope it will be something simple, something I can replace without a great deal of labor expense. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the shops check for shorted wire to the crank sensor? I would think they would but that is assuming you told them it was replaced recently and the problem still persisted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major engine problem === or is it ?