Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Tie-bar lifters... whats the story?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Man, another failed Caddy lifter! What's up with that??

no clue im so pissed, went to the machien shop and found even more bits of lifter in the block... WTF!?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have in hand 11 Morel Lifters, Part # is Morel 4708...they have less tha 500 miles and were part of a build that went wrong...

PM me if you are interested.

Christian
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatchat
Cool thanks ! Now what does HLT mean ?
Hyd. Limited Travel. (pretty sure)

May not be what you want for a daily driver.

Last edited by ATVracr; 07-14-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Thread mining sorry I couldn't find any more recent threads on lifters.

What is the best lifter for a road Race LS?

Just broke a link bar on Morel Link/Tie Bar Lifters.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Which Morels did you have?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lifter sees more wear than most any other engine part and thats why they sometimes fail both HYD. and solid. LINK BAR also on BOTH.
I like solid rollers because the fact is you JUST HOPE (hyd. roller lifters) they dont fail with some of the cam RAMPS use'ed now today. Preload etc... Lash kills the preload aspect of things you must also remember bearing failure...I bought the E/Z roller bearingless lifter $985.oo. Now some will run into shaft mount Rockers money problems.
I cheated Frankenstein Stage1 LS3 heads -CompCams Stud mount Adj 1.8 rocker -TFS rocker gridle on my LQ9 408 setup Tick cam 257/270 750ish lift cam.
Cheap.Cheap.Cheap.
Lifters are a weak point on any ROAD RACE CAR WITH A HYD. LIFTER (if thats what your using) also with over .600+lift / running 2 6700+ rpm rate over the course of the entire race. Check out the cam ramps used by GM and other companys such as Schwanke on there road race engines that use GM factory lifters. Schwanke has a 410 670 fwhp but there are NO-PROMISES in anything Modded. @ a lower HP-LOWER tolerance level we have no worries.
Throw in Jesel (death) bone-link lifters also. LOL.
They have other good lifters I just like Soild rollers. I know of more FAILURES using HYD. lifter than Solids hands down.. Some dont want the job of Lash adjustment.
What they use is High compression lower lift hyd. roller cam engines.

Last edited by lil john; 09-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Which Morels did you have?
Not sure actually. They were professionally installed way back in 2010 if that helps?

Cam was mild. Car was built for short track (only 1.5 mile track with ten turns) to have heaps of low down torque but only 419 RW HP. 6 litre. It worked REALLY well against similar engined cars that had over 600RWHP.

Tappets went rattly in practice at an Interstate long track but we continued through qualifying and even though my team manager and also the engine builder advised us to put the car on the trailer we continued. Red mist I suppose. Nothing logical about racing with a rattly engine.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea with that much power you would think that would not happen but... lifters are parts that tend to go. Even Morals... look up some of the post where lifter failure has happen no lifter is exempt. You would think with over 500 dollar lifters that this would not happen.
Johnson has a good lifter but they remind me of Moral lifters. Both cost a grip.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
Not sure actually. They were professionally installed way back in 2010 if that helps?

Cam was mild. Car was built for short track (only 1.5 mile track with ten turns) to have heaps of low down torque but only 419 RW HP. 6 litre. It worked REALLY well against similar engined cars that had over 600RWHP.

Tappets went rattly in practice at an Interstate long track but we continued through qualifying and even though my team manager and also the engine builder advised us to put the car on the trailer we continued. Red mist I suppose. Nothing logical about racing with a rattly engine.
Morel makes a couple different linkbar styles starting at about $350 and going up from there. They do make lifters with tighter tolerances specifically for high RPMs.

The horsepower number really doesn't have much to do with the lifter crapping out. It could have been a number of things: spring seat pressures, camshaft lobe ramp rates, improper preload, sustained high-RPM runs, or even a manufacturing defect that was going to happen regardless.

I tried my luck with the Lunati link bars (rebranded Morels), and after having two sets crap out on me, I'm back to running plastic trays and some Brian Tooley SLR lifters. However, I have a street motor.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Morel makes a couple different linkbar styles starting at about $350 and going up from there. They do make lifters with tighter tolerances specifically for high RPMs.

The horsepower number really doesn't have much to do with the lifter crapping out. It could have been a number of things: spring seat pressures, camshaft lobe ramp rates, improper preload, sustained high-RPM runs, or even a manufacturing defect that was going to happen regardless.

I tried my luck with the Lunati link bars (rebranded Morels), and after having two sets crap out on me, I'm back to running plastic trays and some Brian Tooley SLR lifters. However, I have a street motor.
Thank you for a very interesting post.

Quick Reply: Tie-bar lifters... whats the story?