Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need Help: Lost oil pressure on autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help: Lost oil pressure on autobahn

I had my foot to the floor holding steady at about 150 in sixth gear at around 3600 rpms when I suddenly lost oil pressure. I looked in the rear view and saw white smoke blowing out the back. I pulled it out of gear to slow down and pull into a parking area when I noticed it would not hold an idle. I got to a parking area, shut off the engine, popped the hood, looked underneath and oil was draining out the rear of the block where it connects to the T-56.

I have not had a chance to inspect the problem, I had a tow truck pick me up. I am going to look at it this afternoon.

My guesses as to the issue:
1. Blown rear main seal
2. EGR tube popped off
3. Gremlins
4. Blockage in a EGR tube
5. Oil pump (KaTech ported & blueprinted LS6 type) went bad

Again, here are the symptoms:
Zero oil pressure
Will not hold idle
Oil draining

Does anyone else have any guesses?
Could the sustained RPMs have built up an excessive amount of crankcase pressure and caused the rear main or tube to burst/pop out? I have been traveling a lot lately which equals me driving at high speed regularly. Hope this is an easy fix, I have another trip coming up in two weeks and I want to drive my car.

I hope someone out there can help. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Crap. I think I posted this in the wrong section. Will a moderator please move this post if necessary?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

I would venture to guess the high volume oil pump you installed pumped the pan dry during your extended high RPM run, or your engine had so much blowby it pushed out the rear main seal. In either case not good, but the rear main seal should be a relatively easy fix. The first one, not so much.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

I would also add that pushing out the rear main seal would probably not cause the oil pressure to drop, but it would cause a bunch of smoke.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your oil level on the dip stick and go from there.

No oil pressure at that kind of RPM, pretty much would wipe out your bearings.

My guess, is you ran out of oil with that high volume pump. I've read a few post by others who have had this happen.

Go with a stock pump and drill holes in the lifter trays, so that the oil can drain back faster.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
Check your oil level on the dip stick and go from there.

No oil pressure at that kind of RPM, pretty much would wipe out your bearings.

My guess, is you ran out of oil with that high volume pump. I've read a few post by others who have had this happen.

Go with a stock pump and drill holes in the lifter trays, so that the oil can drain back faster.
Unless you where short 3 quarts of oil.. you didnt pump the pan dry.

Where is this dam myth coming from?

The oil galleys and so forth can only hold so much oil..

Sounds like your rear seal failed for starters..

Where is your oil level?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

It was only down a quart of oil.

I put the car on a lift and put a socket/breaker bar on the crank to turn check that it would still turn - it does.

I am in the process of pulling the trans to get to the rear main. I was able to look up there at the seal and I could see that it has been blown out. I just hope I don't need to order a new one, I don't want to wait for that thing to ship over here.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with their rear main seal blowing out? Is this something that is going to continue to happen to me if I continue to drive at high speeds for extended periods of time (1 or more hours)?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
It was only down a quart of oil.

I put the car on a lift and put a socket/breaker bar on the crank to turn check that it would still turn - it does.

I am in the process of pulling the trans to get to the rear main. I was able to look up there at the seal and I could see that it has been blown out. I just hope I don't need to order a new one, I don't want to wait for that thing to ship over here.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with their rear main seal blowing out? Is this something that is going to continue to happen to me if I continue to drive at high speeds for extended periods of time (1 or more hours)?

Replace the seal. You wont be able to Re-use.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Lost oil pressure on autobahn