Call VA speed...nuff said.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes shawn can set you up.....
Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to put a real intake on it.that fast 102 isn't going to do anything but restrict the heads.If you want to make real power you either need a PI 4 bbl cast intake or a custom sheetmetal
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
you need to put a real intake on it.that fast 102 isn't going to do anything but restrict the heads.If you want to make real power you either need a PI 4 bbl cast intake or a custom sheetmetal
it's going in my z06 vette, who makes a sheetmetal that would fit under the cowl, and not kill my low end power? and can anything be done to the 102 to make it flow better?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=mitch g;13733013]it's going in my z06 vette, who makes a sheetmetal that would fit under the cowl, and not kill my low end power? and can anything be done to the 102 to make it flow better?[/QUOTE

Would you be ok with trimming the cowl and adding a cowl hood? Will this be a n/a engine?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=vettewrench;13733775]
Originally Posted by mitch g
it's going in my z06 vette, who makes a sheetmetal that would fit under the cowl, and not kill my low end power? and can anything be done to the 102 to make it flow better?[/QUOTE

Would you be ok with trimming the cowl and adding a cowl hood? Will this be a n/a engine?
trimming or cutting? n/a / nos
Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When people say a sheet metal will "kill" low end power.......the word KILL is a strong word. You'll see it on the dyno graph.....but you'll still be able to roast ET Street tires for a 1/4 mile....on the street from a dig.

My buddy swapped to a sheet metal to see what would happen on a 422ci....no way to tell the difference except on the dyno graph. But it was hard to tune for a smooth idle.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

What Shawn said

&

What LS6427 said
Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mitch g
it's going in my z06 vette, who makes a sheetmetal that would fit under the cowl, and not kill my low end power? and can anything be done to the 102 to make it flow better?
a properly built intake will not kill low end performance.We have one being built now for a vette with 8'' runners while still being low profile-this will make more than enough low end grunt on a well built engine.I should have dyno results compared to a stock ls7 intake at the end of this month.Only down side to the intake is the $3600.00 price tag
Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

a properly built intake will not kill low end performance.We have one being built now for a vette with 8'' runners while still being low profile-this will make more than enough low end grunt on a well built engine.I should have dyno results compared to a stock ls7 intake at the end of this month.Only down side to the intake is the $3600.00 price tag
How much for 2?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
How much for 2?
$3600.00 x2
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

$3600.00 x2
how long to build one
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Launching!

The intake shawn is talking about is for our vette. Took about 8 weeks but I think it will be worth the wait. Your building a great combo, a good sheetmetal intake will be the only way to make the bad *** heads you have work to there potential. The intake can be custom made to your specs as far as height , and it goes back as far as the block so some cutting will be necessary .we originally bought a wilson sheetmetalbut when shawn saw the runnners he didn't think it would flow enough at our power level .so we bought the sheetmetal from John Marcella. Intake should of been done Friday.Maybe shawn can post up some pics when he gets it. Mark
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vettewrench
The intake shawn is talking about is for our vette. Took about 8 weeks but I think it will be worth the wait. Your building a great combo, a good sheetmetal intake will be the only way to make the bad *** heads you have work to there potential. The intake can be custom made to your specs as far as height , and it goes back as far as the block so some cutting will be necessary .we originally bought a wilson sheetmetalbut when shawn saw the runnners he didn't think it would flow enough at our power level .so we bought the sheetmetal from John Marcella. Intake should of been done Friday.Maybe shawn can post up some pics when he gets it. Mark
Actually Mark,it's a totally different intake i was referring to.Your intake has a much shorter runner length due to the high rpm nature of your engine.

The intake can be built for engine compartment contraints so that you don't have to cut the car.

Lead time varys on the intakes depending on the complexity of the intake and of course how many orders are in front.usually 4-8 weeks.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Launching!

I've never seen impressive results on a street car with a sheet metal intake. I've seen a similar car to mine make 12 peak rwhp more but less tq everywhere. $3600 dosen't offend me at all, but I'd need to see results for the money. I've always wanted a sheetmetal based on looks, but I don't buy performance parts 'cause they look cool.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MPM IV
I've never seen impressive results on a street car with a sheet metal intake. I've seen a similar car to mine make 12 peak rwhp more but less tq everywhere. $3600 dosen't offend me at all, but I'd need to see results for the money. I've always wanted a sheetmetal based on looks, but I don't buy performance parts 'cause they look cool.
man i agree with you 100%.The problem is that most sheetmetal intake manifolds are designed by guys who generally build race manifolds only.Lets face it until recently most people didn't spend the kind of money on street cars like they do today.People are starting to want this exotic stuff on thier street cars and the race manifold builders have no experience with this and no data to go off of to see what works the best.We've been working with John Marcella to make low profile sheetmetal intakes for street cars that need tq.It has to be looked at from a totally different point of view from a traditional race manifold and we have come up with some really kool stuff.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

man i agree with you 100%.The problem is that most sheetmetal intake manifolds are designed by guys who generally build race manifolds only.Lets face it until recently most people didn't spend the kind of money on street cars like they do today.People are starting to want this exotic stuff on thier street cars and the race manifold builders have no experience with this and no data to go off of to see what works the best.We've been working with John Marcella to make low profile sheetmetal intakes for street cars that need tq.It has to be looked at from a totally different point of view from a traditional race manifold and we have come up with some really kool stuff.
Interesting info Shawn. My motor is on your engine dyno now with the ported Harrop I purchased from you. Based on my engine combo (468ci, PI Lsxr 275 cathedral, and relatively small hyd cam), would there be a benefit to go with one of these newly designed sheetmetal intakes? Do you have any intakes there to do an a/b test when Ed tunes it vs. my Harrop?

The engine is going in a Factory Five GTM, so height is not as large a consideration as a Corvette (although it can't be too high).

I may take a drive there next week for the dyno.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. It offers a bit of perspective. I recently had a 102mm Fast put on and picked up 10rwhp. I hope it makes a bit more with the 102mm TB, but I don't have great expectations. The Marcella intakes look amazing and I truly hope you have great results. I'll be watcing with intrest.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Will this sheet metal intake flow as well, or better than, the Performance Induction Intakes?

It may be worth spending some extra money to be able to keep it under the hood.

Quick Reply: 427 pi heads cam help