Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Crooked Rocker Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
That's a bad rocker stand man. The rockers should line up with the valve tip he same as all others. What did you do to fix it?
That's the thing, most all the others aren't centered perfectly either LOL. So I am starting to think that a slight deviation is normal, at least in stock form. To fix it, I just did what was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Originally Posted by DietCoke
The rockers DO sweep across the trip of the valve left to right (normal), that one just looks like it was installed incorrectly and has an alignment issue.
Thanks, that's pretty much the conclusion I had come to. I wanted to make sure though that I didn't get the motor that they let the new guy put together and most of the rocker arms were too far off center.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this might be stating the obvious, but is the rocker supposed to be different from the others? those are just the style for square port heads correct?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The intake rocker is offset. The exhaust is the same as the intake/exhaust from any cathedral port engine.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
The intake rocker is offset. The exhaust is the same as the intake/exhaust from any cathedral port engine.
thanks for the reassurance
Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 PM
9 Second Club

I would take a good look at the side of those rocker arms to make sure none of the needle bearings have come out. I would imagine if any did come out, it could cause the rocker arm to "fall" to one side or the other where it is lacking the support of the missing bearings. Have a look on the magnet on your drain plug. Just an idea... I can't imagine it being a loose bolt- it wouldn't want to run like that for very long before either the bolt came all the way out or the pushrod started to beat the receiver cup on the back of the rocker. Either way, it would be making a hell of a racket and could possibly start to mis-fire.

Just curious, why did you remove the valve cover in the first place?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Both of the bearings seemed to be good when I fixed it. Also, I don't think it was caused by a loose bolt, because when I took it off, the bolt was pretty tight when I started. I have finally just decided that it came from the factory that way and must have been overlooked.

I took the valve cover off because I was making some adjustments to the oil fill tube hole. But also, I took both off anyway just to check stuff over since the motor came from a van that had been in a wreck and I assume sitting for a decently long period of time.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
22lbs should be your pre-load.

This is how I did mine:
Mark the top of the vlv with a black marker. Install rocker arm torque to 22ft lb. Spin motor. Check were marker on top of vlv is missing from. If its dead center reinstall to 22 ft lb. If its towards the outside of the motor you need less torque if its toward the inside you need more torque.

Anyone correct me if you have a better procedure.
This is blue ribbon prize winning wrongness.

Quick Reply: Crooked Rocker Arm?