Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What's the ideal aluminum block, for max bore, and mild forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the ideal aluminum block, for max bore, and mild forced induction?

Hello, I am an LSx noob. My question is, which aluminum block will allow the biggest bore, with the most durability for forced induction? I'm talking an OEM pull-out, or crate engine, not an aftermarket block.

What kind of modifications, to an aluminum block, will result in a good safety factor? What is the spectrum of things that can be done?

Is there any weight difference, between the various all-aluminum engines, a small one perhaps?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should talk to some of the builder/sponsors. From what I understand the ls3 would work the best for a boosted motor. What kind of power are you looking for? You really need to know the level of boost that you want and cubic inches then plan from there.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JBarron
Hello, I am an LSx noob. My question is, which aluminum block will allow the biggest bore, with the most durability for forced induction? I'm talking an OEM pull-out, or crate engine, not an aftermarket block.

What kind of modifications, to an aluminum block, will result in a good safety factor? What is the spectrum of things that can be done?

Is there any weight difference, between the various all-aluminum engines, a small one perhaps?
I'd say LSA/LS9 block would be the best for a factory pullout, but good luck finding one, block is very similar to LS3, LSA has I believe nodular iron main caps, piston oil squirters.

Aftermarket block RHS, best option.

Last edited by AES Racing; 10-05-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
You should talk to some of the builder/sponsors. From what I understand the ls3 would work the best for a boosted motor. What kind of power are you looking for? You really need to know the level of boost that you want and cubic inches then plan from there.
Not much more than 600whp. I know that probably doesn't require forced induction at all, but I'd like to have a good N/A engine at first, say somewhere in the are of 450-500whp, and once I learn to handle that, or get bored of it, I'd like to have extra room to grow. I don't want to be on the edge of any limits. The feeling I get is that this really wouldn't be a problem at all, that it's not an outrageous goal. The primary goal is extreme durability, at a relatively reasonable budget (lol), at least to start.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

Not much more than 600whp.
Stock LS2 with turbo/blower will cover 600rwhp with the right tuner.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys!

Edit: So, is there going to be any difference in bore spacing, or wall thickness, between the aluminum blocks, or is it all the same? Is there a truck block which is similar to the LS3 (but isn't technically)?

Last edited by JBarron; 10-05-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

L92 6.2L truck block found in 07+ Denalis, Escalades etc, as well as a few correctly optioned half ton trucks.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not much more than 600whp. I know that probably doesn't require forced induction at all, but I'd like to have a good N/A engine at first, say somewhere in the are of 450-500whp, and once I learn to handle that, or get bored of it, I'd like to have extra room to grow. I don't want to be on the edge of any limits. The feeling I get is that this really wouldn't be a problem at all, that it's not an outrageous goal. The primary goal is extreme durability, at a relatively reasonable budget (lol), at least to start.
I have never had a forced induction motor before, but with NA combo's putting out close to that number I don't know if I would want to go through all the issues of external oiling, intercooler's and extra weight.
Always cheaper in the long run to do the build once.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^Agreed
I'd use the LS3 block if I were to build a factory Al block for FI. The LS7 sleeves are notorious for cracking with mild detonation, se keep that block for NA.
If you want AL and big bore, your options are a RHS,Warhawk, or DART billet block.

Quick Reply: What's the ideal aluminum block, for max bore, and mild forced induction?