Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Square Port heads vs. Cathedral Port heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JRFed
So many things can determine what you experienced. Compression, cam, intake, throttle body or carb etc. Now this is just my personal experience if this is NA I will recommend a Rec port on a mid bore (4.000-4.070) unless it's a big nitrous deal which will be lazy on motor but a beast on the bottle. I'm not a fan of a small bore LS7 on hydraulic roller setups only revving under 7700rpms. Also many get turned off on port volume and again my theory the throat shape + S.A. will help with throttle response.
That's true.
Compression was at 12:8.1 and running a 236/244 114LSA +2 camshaft.
The combination was healthy but I had a 6500rpm red line. Not a high RPM deal but even then I wasn't impressed.
My understanding is that LS7 heads need to revved out to over 7000rpm+ in order to get the benefits of that large runner. From 7500rpm+ they really make some steam.
I am talking street setups here with my statements.
Who is going to rev their car over 7000rpm with an automatic transmission?(4L65E)
Obviously at the track for high RPM purposes the rectangles make sense.
I find a lot of builders don't really care or place much emphasis on driveability and part throttle responsiveness for the street.
You don't want a sluggish motor that is only good in the high RPM's.
It won't be fun to drive other than at WOT which is not really practical for a street application.
The aftermarket cathedrals can make over 700hp NA and still have a lot of power under the curve at all RPM's which is why I went this route.
I know LS7's can make around 100hp+.but I guess on larger cubed motors like a 454 it wouldn't matter as much in terms of torque production as you will have enough.
Application dependant I guess.

The following users liked this post:
JRFed (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

So many things can determine what you experienced. Compression, cam, intake, throttle body or carb etc. Now this is just my personal experience if this is NA I will recommend a Rec port on a mid bore (4.000-4.070) unless it's a big nitrous deal which will be lazy on motor but a beast on the bottle. I'm not a fan of a small bore LS7 on hydraulic roller setups only revving under 7700rpms. Also many get turned off on port volume and again my theory the throat shape + S.A. will help with throttle response.
Exactly. Not sure why these threads keep popping up, this is just simple math and logic. Cath heads are popular because we all know that the average guy here is running a sub 4.030 bore engine with long plastic runners and a hydraulic cam and no power adder. In this case, cath work great.
JRFed (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 590 Likes on 410 Posts

And yet till this day I've yet to seen another all motor pump gas hydraulic roller motor that out performed James Day SS camaro with TFS 235s.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...r-alive-4.html

Yes and yes she's a animal!!

Dyno numbers sound good sitting around drinking beer and talking. Track times keeps the wallet full of them Benjamins!!
TTur1996 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
And yet till this day I've yet to seen another all motor pump gas hydraulic roller motor that out performed James Day SS camaro with TFS 235s.

Dyno numbers sound good sitting around drinking beer and talking. Track times keeps the wallet full of them Benjamins!!
Good point there Tusky.
Dyno numbers are one thing but track times are another.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 482 Likes on 312 Posts

Just getting started on his journey to building 468's with that one it looks like.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Good point there Tusky.
Dyno numbers are one thing but track times are another.
My point exactly. Is there some bad *** Ls7's? Absofuckinglutely. But the guys that get everything just right to utilize them are few and far between. That is what the track shows. Not the internet. Huge heads have been proven a thousand times, won't out perform smaller versions on motors built in the price range the average guy could afford. Max effort huge money pro built motors yes of coarse.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

Did he go 8.90 on pump 93?
I still till my 15yrs in this industry have yet to see a cat port out do a square port. Impressive for sure but it's NOT just the heads there. It's the combination.
I can assure you if he swaps heads cam and intake he will go faster.

Also depending what side of the industry you're in...
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Not all of us build racecars pumpkin. That car was on the cover of 2 national magazines and weighted over 3800lbs with a 6 speed. Some of us want REAL daily drivers with A/C and stock street manners, not "street cars" having to use the letter of the law.
A person should know their limitations.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by TTur1996
A person should know their limitations.
Agreed. Not everyone is capable of building daily driver street cars.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 482 Likes on 312 Posts

Agreed. Not everyone is capable of building daily driver street cars.
I agree with you 10000% that building a nice street car and keeping it off jackstands is much harder than building a drag car that sees minutes of use vs days.
ddnspider (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by spanks13
I agree with you 10000% that building a nice street car and keeping it off jackstands is much harder than building a drag car that sees minutes of use vs days.
Thanks. I don't take ANYTHING away fr those who build drag cars. It's just a different build with different goals and different attention to detail.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=JRFed;20264618]Did he go 8.90 on pump 93?
I still till my 15yrs in this industry have yet to see a cat port out do a square port.

That is not what is going on at the track.

Impressive for sure but it's NOT just the heads there. It's the combination.

Yes it is impressive. That is my whole point. Why spend all that money to buy new stuff when most of us already had the old stuff and performs just as well for way less money. I can't explain it, but that is what I have experienced and seen with my own eyes. You are right. The combo can make or break you. Finding all this out in the real world is why we never ended up going LS7. There was no point.

JRFed (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 590 Likes on 410 Posts

I still till my 15yrs in this industry have yet to see a cat port out do a square port. Impressive for sure but it's NOT just the heads there. It's the combination.
I can assure you if he swaps heads cam and intake he will go faster.

Also depending what side of the industry you're in...
What combo runs 8.9 on pump gas ? I bet it's a real expensive catch along in that build.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I don't take ANYTHING away fr those who build drag cars. It's just a different build with different goals and different attention to detail.
I agree. I don't take away from anyone that builds a daily driver. You were the one to talk **** then call names. I even left your name off that post but you sure seemed to know who I was talking to, just like I did. If you really think its easy to get a car to do a 1.19 sixty at 3350 lbs. Then go drive around on the street and still be able to pull the wheels off the ground. You got another thing coming. Lmfao
Old 06-30-2020, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

I agree. I don't take away from anyone that builds a daily driver. You were the one to talk **** then call names. I even left your name off that post but you sure seemed to know who I was talking to, just like I did. If you really think its easy to get a car to do a 1.19 sixty at 3350 lbs. Then go drive around on the street and still be able to pull the wheels off the ground. You got another thing coming. Lmfao
What are you talking about? I didn't call ANYONE a name or talk crap? Are you referencing my post about not commenting if you haven't built a boosted setup before? That was HARDLY directed at you man. I apologize if you took offense to that post, but you weren't even in the realm of that post. If you've seen bortous NA build threads you would understand why I made that post. Lot of arm chair quarterbacks out there, and you weren't included in them.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

What combo runs 8.9 on pump gas ? I bet it's a real expensive catch along in that build.
427ci Hydraulic Roller deal 12.7:1CR Our LS3 OEM ported heads G Body Malibu. Amount spent not sure I just had the heads worked for him.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=TTur1996;20264643]
I still till my 15yrs in this industry have yet to see a cat port out do a square port.

That is not what is going on at the track.

Impressive for sure but it's NOT just the heads there. It's the combination.

Yes it is impressive. That is my whole point. Why spend all that money to buy new stuff when most of us already had the old stuff and performs just as well for way less money. I can't explain it, but that is what I have experienced and seen with my own eyes. You are right. The combo can make or break you. Finding all this out in the real world is why we never ended up going LS7. There was no point.
I see the opposite. I've flown to shops when I have guaranteed a gain. I've put my name on the mine a few times where I've removed XYZ's TF castings onto our LS3 and or LS7 spec the whole topend and go to the track with them and see an average of 2-3/10ths and 5-7mph gain less boost more power. Happy that those days are over though. The thing is yes run a Cat head and it will run great agreed. Now think about this would you rather keep adding more boost or more N02+timing to go faster or spend the extra coin to run faster on less boost or less timing and smaller pills and keep your engine happy? I agree you can go far with a cathedral but they are not efficient like an LS3 or LS7. Next Motorsports ran 4.50s cat heads 32lb of boost swapped to LS3 heads went the same 4.50s with 3mph gain and 8lbs less boost. I'll take a more efficient head over anything. Again what I'd do as my job is to make it easier for the public.
The following 3 users liked this post by JRFed:
biketopia (10-14-2020), Che70velle (06-30-2020), Darth_V8r (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=JRFed;20264676]

I see the opposite. I've flown to shops when I have guaranteed a gain. I've put my name on the mine a few times where I've removed XYZ's TF castings onto our LS3 and or LS7 spec the whole topend and go to the track with them and see an average of 2-3/10ths and 5-7mph gain less boost more power. Happy that those days are over though. The thing is yes run a Cat head and it will run great agreed. Now think about this would you rather keep adding more boost or more N02+timing to go faster or spend the extra coin to run faster on less boost or less timing and smaller pills and keep your engine happy? I agree you can go far with a cathedral but they are not efficient like an LS3 or LS7. Next Motorsports ran 4.50s cat heads 32lb of boost swapped to LS3 heads went the same 4.50s with 3mph gain and 8lbs less boost. I'll take a more efficient head over anything. Again what I'd do as my job is to make it easier for the public.
HOLY!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:23 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

In what order do you rank the various castings? In other words, if it's your motor, what is your goto?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
In what order do you rank the various castings? In other words, if it's your motor, what is your goto?
Glad you asked. Once I get home I'll answer this question with reasons behind it.
About to head out of the shop, dyno gas fumes have me feeling hungry.

Quick Reply: Square Port heads vs. Cathedral Port heads