Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Id like to try that one. I wonder what lobes they use?
Based on the duration & lift, it looks like those are designed around their "Nero" lobes which according to the catalog are for hollow stem or titanium intake valves and their premium springs.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

LOL nero lobes eh? Hmm cam doctor anyone?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

For reference, here is the Comp tech bulletin regarding the phaser change.
http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/156...189%20core.pdf

Looks like you can ID which cam you need by the phaser part number:
•Original (old style) GM PN 1258994: 2007‐2008 (uses cam core 156‐)
•Current (new style) GM PN 12606358: 2007‐2009+ (uses cam core 189‐)

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 11-12-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Tps...........?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How bout VVT and a solid roller? Anyone tried that?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Looks like Texas Speed falls short AGAIN in custom support. !!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Did you try and send Matt or Jason a PM? There are only a thousan or so threads started PER day that pertain to products they have info about.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about putting one of these in a 2010 Colorado with a 5.3? Would I have PTV issues? Whats the biggest cam I could go with?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Mast Stage II VVT cam in the Camaro and last time I spoke to Horrace at SEMA he said the VVT cams don't play nice with my dual springs. That is why they use the beehive single springs. Too much spring pressure does not allow the correct function of the VVT cams.

TSP, is there any truth to that? Have you guys ran into any problems with dual springs during your testing?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

I called TSP and spoke with Matt about their cam development. From what he said, it didn't sound to me like they would be radically different from what Comp or MAST is offering. He said they would have a little more lift because they were willing to run less piston-to-valve clearance than Comp.

I tried to ask pointed questions, but it sounded like Matt wasn't close enough to the development to know the details. Jason may be a better person to talk to. To be honest I did not get a warm & fuzzy from Matt. I felt like I had to pry to get him to tell me anything at all and he did virtually nothing to offer information or a sales pitch. The conversation was cold. Maybe I just called at a bad time, but it didn't make me want to buy from TSP.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SRTKLLR
I have a Mast Stage II VVT cam in the Camaro and last time I spoke to Horrace at SEMA he said the VVT cams don't play nice with my dual springs. That is why they use the beehive single springs. Too much spring pressure does not allow the correct function of the VVT cams.

TSP, is there any truth to that? Have you guys ran into any problems with dual springs during your testing?
This keeps popping up in VVT related discussions. The chatter I had read initially was COMP had phaser failures with testing and dual springs. Maybe the failure was simply that the stock phaser didnt have the umph to move the cam as intended whilst pushing against the dual springs. I have yet to personally find a single thread where anyone can prove this nor have I seen any info about breakages etc. But it sure makes sense that moving the cam timing requires working against the valve spring pressure so the higher the resistance the harder this task would be. In general the consensus is that singles are better for VVT builds thus far.

I tried to ask pointed questions, but it sounded like Matt wasn't close enough to the development to know the details. Jason may be a better person to talk to. To be honest I did not get a warm & fuzzy from Matt. I felt like I had to pry to get him to tell me anything at all and he did virtually nothing to offer information or a sales pitch. The conversation was cold. Maybe I just called at a bad time, but it didn't make me want to buy from TSP.
Ive had this same coldness from just about everyone Ive tried talking to about VVT development. I had one vendor scream at me just for asking questions. He was ranting that once the info gets out there and posted on the internet then his business suffers etc. I can understand the guys plight but some class wont hurt that stance either.

I had great service and a lot of questions answered by Geoff at EPS though. PatG was very helpful too in fact. Anyways good thread im glad its still alive
Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mast didn't say I would break anything using their cam with dual springs. They just said that the phasing would not work properly so it would be like not having the VVT in there. I don't know what phaser limiter they use though but probably a Comp.

They mentioned something about checking oil pressure to see if the phaser was working like it should.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I called TSP and spoke with Matt about their cam development. From what he said, it didn't sound to me like they would be radically different from what Comp or MAST is offering. He said they would have a little more lift because they were willing to run less piston-to-valve clearance than Comp.

Not cold here, but there is only so much information we're willing to give out about our VVT cams. Their results speak for themselves and we're not willing to give away our R&D. Not the easiest cams to "pitch" to some with fairly limited info we are able to give. I wish it weren't that way, but it is.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Not cold here, but there is only so much information we're willing to give out about our VVT cams. Their results speak for themselves and we're not willing to give away our R&D. Not the easiest cams to "pitch" to some with fairly limited info we are able to give. I wish it weren't that way, but it is.
No problem. I hope to see the results soon.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not really sure how to reply to this, Jimbo. We've got alot on our plated for R&D right now, and the LY6 is on that list. As soon as we have some more time, we'll definitely look into it farther, but at this point I do know it has as good, or better (exhaust side) clearance than the LS3 and L99 does. Any and all of our current camshaft and packages will work with the LY6, and later, we MIGHT decide to add to that lie-up some more specific camshafts for the LY6 and it's slightly lower compression. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
No problem. I hope to see the results soon.
I hope you understand my hands really are somewhat tied on specs here and aren't offended by that. I've been hounding Jason to get me and the other sales guys more hard info we can give out and he says he is working on a way to give more without giving away the secrets and R&D. I will definitely post whatever he gives me as soon as I have more!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not sponsor feed back.
They have always been helpful to me even with stuff i did not purchace from them. (Matt, Jason, and Jon)

Anyways these VVT Cams seem intresting but might be a PITA to tune?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
They're not too bad really. And we include the phaser tables with purchase of any of our VVT cam packages, so it's actually no more work for the end-user than tuning a regular camshaft combo!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
This is not sponsor feed back.
They have always been helpful to me even with stuff i did not purchace from them. (Matt, Jason, and Jon)

Even leaving the stock phase tables alone is still of decent benefit over a static cam so if your feared of messing with them just leave them and A/F the thing as per norm
Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by cam
Even leaving the stock phase tables alone is still of decent benefit over a static cam so if your feared of messing with them just leave them and A/F the thing as per norm
We tested it just having the cam, no phaser tuning, and the results were nice! The phasing really is where the power is, and that stock table is great for the stock cam, but that's about it! There is nice power from tuning that phaser table!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

How do the guys tuning the phaser table keep from toasting a motor? How do you know when youre fixing to move the valve events right into a piston?

Quick Reply: VVT Cams