Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it is the cam for the l99.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Im installing my PatG EPS custom grind today

Not to get overly excited though I have a lot of work in front of me before I can stab the engine back in the car but still... Im pretty damn pleased to be making progress this project has dragggggggggged

I should be up and running by March and will update with numbers when Im done. Too bad PatG is or Geoff are just a wee bit far for me to travel for a tune
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I see TSP lists three VVT cams on their site now, dubbed VVT-1, VVT-2 and VVT-3.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...=1163&catid=49

Very hard to compare to any other cams since they give no info on the specs. Maybe dyno results are available someplace?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I see TSP lists three VVT cams on their site now, dubbed VVT-1, VVT-2 and VVT-3.

Very hard to compare to any other cams since they give no info on the specs. Maybe dyno results are available someplace?

I agree, very hard to compare.

In addition, I've seen reference to a TSP "VVT truck cam" in the mid-teens intake range and mid-high 20s exhaust range.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hicksport
I went to mast and talked to the folks there and the impression that I got was that. If your not runnung their ecm, which I will not comment one where that actually comes from. They really made me feel like they didnt have time to give any support or time to what I was doing..... So I called matt at texas speed and purchased thier cam springs cam phase limiter and I am very pleased with the customer service and pricing. MAST was 250$ higher and said that they couldnt sell me the phase limiter because it was a comp product?? Like they are grinding thier own cams ??? Any way i'm not here to bash anyone just not happy about making a two hour drive to be turned away with the feeling that my checkbook doesnt work here. I will have this setup running in the next two weeks, dyno numbers will follow. By the way cam specs came with the cam, but I will not share them since the guys at mast helped me out and I will be doing more business with these people. I went with thier vvt-2 cam and I am building an ly-6. Hope to shed some light soon!!!
Thanks for the feedback, Collier! And I do appreciate you not letting the cam specs "cat" out of the bag. That one drop-shipped from Comp Cams and they are not supposed to include that stuff in our VVT cams, but it seems they are still sending them. We won't be drop-shipping any more of the VVT cams from now on when we run out because of that

Originally Posted by Coban
I agree, very hard to compare.

In addition, I've seen reference to a TSP "VVT truck cam" in the mid-teens intake range and mid-high 20s exhaust range.
Yes, we finished it a week or so ago and we are VERY pleased with the results! I'm trying to get a write-up done on this one and will have it posted on the forums and our Facebook page very soon!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-

Found this thread for the VVT-3 in an L99: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gen-5-cam...er-80rwhp.html
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed

Yes, we finished it a week or so ago and we are VERY pleased with the results! I'm trying to get a write-up done on this one and will have it posted on the forums and our Facebook page very soon!
Did I miss this? Would really like to see an update on VVT cams for LY6/L96...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Did I miss this? Would really like to see an update on VVT cams for LY6/L96...
Sorry, I forgot to link this one here. It wasn't the LY6 in this truck for the testing of the TSP VVT Truck Cam, but still some awesome results.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=476822

The LY6 uses the same camshafts as the L99...the LY6 just has a bit better piston to valve clearance due to more exhaust valve relief.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Sorry, I forgot to link this one here. It wasn't the LY6 in this truck for the testing of the TSP VVT Truck Cam, but still some awesome results.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=476822

The LY6 uses the same camshafts as the L99...the LY6 just has a bit better piston to valve clearance due to more exhaust valve relief.
Thx...I have an email in for specifics. FYI, I called comp cams today asking their recco re my 2010 L96, and they claimed it was different from the LY6 and they didn't have a cam for it. Will your cam for sure work with an L96 6.0?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Default First dyno pull

Finally got this swap done and got to dyno it today.
397.66 hp and 392.24tq
This is on a dynojet dyno, L99 intake and fuel system. LY6 truck motor all stock with the vvt-2 texas speed cam. Cheap ebay forth gen camaro shorty headers and a 2.5 inch y pipe with a 3 inch cat back. t-56 tranny 3.42 gears.
Im happy with the results, It pulls very hard and is very streetable. Looking to get another 30 rwhp with hawks longtubes and full exhaust. Now need a rear end and 175 shot!!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Finally got this swap done and got to dyno it today.
397.66 hp and 392.24tq
This is on a dynojet dyno, L99 intake and fuel system. LY6 truck motor all stock with the vvt-2 texas speed cam. Cheap ebay forth gen camaro shorty headers and a 2.5 inch y pipe with a 3 inch cat back. t-56 tranny 3.42 gears.
Im happy with the results, It pulls very hard and is very streetable. Looking to get another 30 rwhp with hawks longtubes and full exhaust. Now need a rear end and 175 shot!!
Very nice! Definitely some more power on the table from the bolt-on mods!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Thats pretty decent for shorty headers. Any idea what the int/exh duration is on the VVT2 cam ( merely curious for comparisons sake )
Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Thx...I have an email in for specifics. FYI, I called comp cams today asking their recco re my 2010 L96, and they claimed it was different from the LY6 and they didn't have a cam for it. Will your cam for sure work with an L96 6.0?
L96 is just an iron 6.0L with LS3 heads and VVT, with about 9.5:1 static compression. All the other VVT cams fit physically and clear, but with the relatively low compression, you want to stay a bit more conservative on yours than you would with the L99.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry its taken so long for the reply.

Longtubes on and full mandrel bent 3.5 inch exhaust=431 at the wheels at 6000rpm. Im very happy, those numbers are right ona new Z06!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Sounds great lets see some track vids now
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry its taken so long for the reply.

Longtubes on and full mandrel bent 3.5 inch exhaust=431 at the wheels at 6000rpm. Im very happy, those numbers are right ona new Z06!!!
Did you tune it yourself or have it tuned by someone else? Can you elaborate on what was involved?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
Thats pretty decent for shorty headers. Any idea what the int/exh duration is on the VVT2 cam ( merely curious for comparisons sake )
From the TSP website: http://texas-speed.com/p-773-texas-s...-camshaft.aspx
The VVT-2 camshaft is a mid 220s intake duration camshaft that TSP offers for L99 customers looking for big power gains with good driveability on vehicles with aftermarket torque converters. The VVT-2 camshaft features approximately .620" lift thanks to the TSP VVT lobes.
That is significantly more lift than any of the other VVT offerings from Comp or Mast and much more on par with a non-VVT cam. I have to wonder about piston-valve clearance. Looking at hicksports results and the newly-published semi-specs on the cam at TSP's website - I am strongly reconsidering their cams if PV clearance isn't a worry.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any testing with the L92?

Theoretically will the L92 make more power at 10.5-1?
Or does that present P-V clearance issues?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Perhaps someone more in the know can comment, but I would assume much of the development for the L99 would apply directly to the L92.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Tune is a yes and no answer the cam phasing is done from texas speed the rest is done by a local shop that I am not happy with.........long story. I am about to load a tune frome texas speed with hopes of getting it really close to perfect. As far as piston to valve clearance I would have to say its fine. Ive missed a shift or two... and run into the 6500rpm limited and never had an issue. Not saying thats a good way to tell that ptv clearance is ok.. I do have the phase limiter installed. Im looking to go FI soon so Im really looking to see what the vvt can do with some boost!?! Im guessing that its really close to 500 fwhp with just a cam!!

Quick Reply: VVT Cams