Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Eliminating Valve Float

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your problem may not be the springs. Really need to look at all the stuff you have first and make sure you don't have a PR rocker spring or tune up issue. If you want to just throw $$ away send it to me.

Tim
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably do not have enough spring or your springs need to be shimmed . You're running an aggressive lobe with a 1.8 rocker . They may be an error in your actual valve lift . If you have the lifters I think you have, the only thing holding back your setup is the spring . The right spring will easily give you 7500rpm capability . Your rockers are heavier than stock but they're adjustable which is necessary for the limited travel hydraulic roller lifters . If shimming your current springs doesn't help then look for more appropriate valve springs . PAC has a lot of new springs coming out . I would look @ the -1207 or -1209 and shim them . There are other quality springs out there as well . I think Morel recommends a max of 200 lbs seat pressure and 550lbs max open pressure for those lifters . They're designed for aggressive setups .
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Those springs should be fine, I know who's they are. How close to coil bind did you engine builder set em to?

What type of retainer are you using?
I think this may actually be the problem. A third party actually set-up the heads. They may be set too close to coil bind. I am going to ask the engine builder to get with MAST and ask them exactly what the springs should be shimmed at. The Heads, the springs, the retainers, and locks all came from MAST.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cam
I have no "proof" per se but seeing as there are simply not that many spring manufacturers out there the MAST springs appear mighty similar to PAC springs which are very good quality. Considering this;

Im agreeing with above. Ditch those heavy *** rocker arms for some stockers and see how it goes. Its a cheap, fast, and simple thing to start with. If that doesnt do it then lighter valvetrain is probably your answer but still... Lots of guys revving the **** to 7K RPM on solid valves without issues so?

Can't run the stock rockers with these lifters... already tried that...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I would stuggest checking the springs to see what the pressures are first. 150-400 at least is needed.

How was the tune I have seen that cause issues that look like valvetrain issues.

Tim
Again, heads were set-up by a 3rd party. I was told the pressures are -

Seat Pressure 193 +/- 5lbs

Open Pressure 460 +/- 8 lbs

I am thinking they may have just been set-up too close to coil bind. He was specific about if I ever changed the cam to any higher lift, they were very tight and would need to be re-shimmed.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Been there, done that...spent a lot of money with incompetent persons!!!

The positive of your situation...you will identify who really knows about valve-train in this business...

BTW, valve-train instabilty was starting around 5800rpm with my ETP 245 and 2.10 intake valves, my engine is now running to 7500 like a breeze:

Christian
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

hi, just want to drop my 2 cents. I have built alot of engines and I think there are only 3 things that cause valve float. 1*springs* either improperly set up or springs are too weak for the application. Or 2*push rod length* I have seen a ton of people change to aftermarket heads and not check push rod length causing improper valve train geometry. 3 *lifters* I have seen lifters bleed off oil pressure at high RPM causing valve float. Usually on roller lifters a tell tale sign of this is flat spots on the rollers from the lifter "hopping" up & down during lifter bleed down. Hope you get some answers. Please let us know when you get it figured out.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marble_Sharp
I think this may actually be the problem. A third party actually set-up the heads. They may be set too close to coil bind. I am going to ask the engine builder to get with MAST and ask them exactly what the springs should be shimmed at. The Heads, the springs, the retainers, and locks all came from MAST.
If its ever a question, best to double check and confirm, independently.

What i've seen with these heads, that standard valve sets up at 1.760" with .060" spring locator.
So provided you have a spring that binds at 1.050", you have exactly .660 available lift, no shims.

That combination needs a spring that is 500lbs/in
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Been there, done that...spent a lot of money with incompetent persons!!!

The positive of your situation...you will identify who really knows about valve-train in this business...

BTW, valve-train instabilty was starting around 5800rpm with my ETP 245 and 2.10 intake valves, my engine is now running to 7500 like a breeze:

Christian
What was the solution to your valve-train instability?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

What was the solution to your valve-train instability?
-1) Get rid of the YT Ultralite and went back to OEM Rockers

-2) Went to Xcledyne Titanium coated valves:

And then went back from PAC 1521 to PSI LS 1512 ML..........as in the video.

Christian
Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Here is an update - it appears the Heads were set-up incorrectly causing coil bind! Put in a new set of springs, correctly, and problem appears to be solved. SHould be back up on dyno within the week, possibly even today!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is an update - it appears the Heads were set-up incorrectly causing coil bind! Put in a new set of springs, correctly, and problem appears to be solved. SHould be back up on dyno within the week, possibly even today!
i knew there was more to it that just valve float. valve float from the rockers is almost always a dipin the top rpm not a complete drop off

Quick Reply: Eliminating Valve Float