Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What do you want to see from Katech in 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
I love the clutch, but the price is very high. Is there any way to supply a lower cost flywheel only? The clutch can be bought at any GM dealer.
Yes, you can buy our flywheel separately for $819.99, but for the F-body/GTO application there are other custom made parts that you need from Katech.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start building affordable long tube headers for c6 corvettes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CalSpeedPerformance
If we had the resources...I'd probably develop some products that Ive had on my mind.... and would develop if I could do the R&D required to put on the market. Mainly just the intake manifold.

1) Intake Manifold - Develop a superior intake manifold to the FAST 90/92/102 models that have held the market over the last decade...No one has came up with an affordable ($500-$800) intake manifold that has compared with results from many of the sheetmetal offerings. See if you can produce a direct bolt on LS intake manifodld that will fit LS1/LS3/LS7 port cylinder heads that will eclipse a FAST 102mm for the same price and youll sell 10,0000 of them a year... this alone would make your company millions in profits.

2) Manufacture a simple SFI underdrive pulley that is approx 35-50% underdrive instead of standard 25% for guys that are more on the race & street/strip application for same price.
do you really think katech is going to develop a superior intake manifold to the FAST? yeah maybe they could, but to you really think it would be reasonably priced...... come on now
Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

i think if you guys could come up with some sort of way to get a KB, tvs 2300, or some sort of displacement supercharger kit that would be an easy bolt on application sort of like a vortech but with more potential.

affordable mini-tub kits.

maybe a more efficient and revised intercooler kit for a decent price (800-1000) for the guys who piece out procharger kits. the intercooler kits going for almost 1500 is outrageous! not to mention that the plenum sometimes have to be reinforced with more boost.

my .02
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
Yes, you can buy our flywheel separately for $819.99, but for the F-body/GTO application there are other custom made parts that you need from Katech.
I am sorry, but you all are asking obscene money for that flywheel. There is absolutely no reason that this flywheel can't be $499. Tell Fidanza to stop raping your ***.

Andrew
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I am sorry, but you all are asking obscene money for that flywheel. There is absolutely no reason that this flywheel can't be $499. Tell Fidanza to stop raping your ***.

Andrew
Is the Katech unit lighter then the Fidanza?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by S2VYSS
Is the Katech unit lighter then the Fidanza?
I have no idea. I am just guessing that Fidanza is making these for Katech. Regardless of who makes the flywheel, it is crazy to be selling it for $819. I seriously doubt that the cost of these flywheels to Katech is more than $300. Even a 50% margin will put the price at $500. What's the deal with $819? Really?

Andrew
Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I have no idea. I am just guessing that Fidanza is making these for Katech. Regardless of who makes the flywheel, it is crazy to be selling it for $819. I seriously doubt that the cost of these flywheels to Katech is more than $300. Even a 50% margin will put the price at $500. What's the deal with $819? Really?

Andrew
This all sounds like speculation until Katech answers the question. They arent forcing you buy the flywheel. There are always going to be premium products that cost more then others on the market

I personally would be interested to see how their single plate clutches survive against their claimed power figures. Does anyone have one of these clutches in their car? How have you found them?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by S2VYSS
This all sounds like speculation until Katech answers the question. They arent forcing you buy the flywheel. There are always going to be premium products that cost more then others on the market

I personally would be interested to see how their single plate clutches survive against their claimed power figures. Does anyone have one of these clutches in their car? How have you found them?
It is speculation, but I have insight as to what these things tend to cost. I am not just making up numbers. Of course they aren't forcing me. But at that price, who would buy one? If Katech actually wants to sell the flywheels by themselves they would make certain critical information available. There are people that have LSx engines with transmissions other than T56s. Knowing the installed height of the ZR1 clutch on their flywheel would allow people to judge if it will work in their application. Also knowing the depth of the clutch disk splines would be very handy. These two pieces of information would allow me to know if their flywheel and ZR1 clutch will work in my setup.

The ZR1 clutch is a fine piece. I have no doubt that it is all that Katech claims to be.

Andrew
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
Jason, with all respect, who would pay $819.99 for a flywheel? The LS9 flywheel from GM is $184.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An affordable ITB complete with air filtration that will fit under the hood of a Vette.

I know that's an oxymoron but we can wish.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see Katech produce carbon fiber body parts for the new Camaro for this upcoming year.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man... you guys arent really budget anything. How about some reasonable prices on things. It would open up the demographic you appeal to. I personally never go to your site in search of performace parts because i know that most everything you sell is completely out of the price range your typical middle-class gear head. Try to draw in some lower budget consumers and your sales and exposure would rise significantly... otherwise you are still only going to draw the very small percantage of wealthy chevy owners.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't even know why I posted in this thread before. Katech is not going to do anything any different from what they have been doing. Why don't ya'll make yourself useful and just go sponsor the Road Race section or something.

600 bucks for a Hot cam and springs!? How many of those have you sold or better yet how many customers have you greased up by selling them that high price on that cam. Pace has the same thing for 489.

I bet we will be here on January 20 2012 and see Katech in the same position as last year. Nothing innovative or getting more involved in the f-body platform at all.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CalSpeedPerformance
If we had the resources...I'd probably develop some products that Ive had on my mind.... and would develop if I could do the R&D required to put on the market. Mainly just the intake manifold.

1) Intake Manifold - Develop a superior intake manifold to the FAST 90/92/102 models that have held the market over the last decade...No one has came up with an affordable ($500-$800) intake manifold that has compared with results from many of the sheetmetal offerings. See if you can produce a direct bolt on LS intake manifodld that will fit LS1/LS3/LS7 port cylinder heads that will eclipse a FAST 102mm for the same price and youll sell 10,0000 of them a year... this alone would make your company millions in profits.

2) Manufacture a simple SFI underdrive pulley that is approx 35-50% underdrive instead of standard 25% for guys that are more on the race & street/strip application for same price.
ABSOLUTLY AGREE with point no.1 .

Good luck .
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Man... you guys arent really budget anything. How about some reasonable prices on things. It would open up the demographic you appeal to. I personally never go to your site in search of performace parts because i know that most everything you sell is completely out of the price range your typical middle-class gear head. Try to draw in some lower budget consumers and your sales and exposure would rise significantly... otherwise you are still only going to draw the very small percantage of wealthy chevy owners.
Boy, took the words right outta my mouth!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WKMCD
An affordable ITB complete with air filtration that will fit under the hood of a Vette.

I know that's an oxymoron but we can wish.
Hi Kevin,

You know dreaming is permitted, safe and cheap...

Christian
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Here's a real test of knowlege for Katech:

Get with GKN and develop a PM con-rod for the aftermarket. 6.125 long and more. lightweight and target price: $500. Howards seems to have stopped at 6".

This way I don't have to screw around with dowels anymore. I hate doweled rods.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

As an RX7 swapper, I want an ITB setup that's no taller than the factory manifold.Seems like you could just take the FAST LSX runners (sold individually) and add a TB onto them, with some work.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

WOW katech comes out to ask their customers directly what they want them to make, and the customers turn it into a katech bashing session. I understand they are pricey. I agree if they are making a similar cam package and charging nearly $200 more its not good for business.

Like He said in his first post. They have the ability to make your dreams come true, but its not cheap.

Here is what I would like to see (keeping in mind you need to make money).

We are all looking for more power weather it nitrous,FI, or NA. There is no doubt NA is the easiest most reliable way to do this.

I would like to see a lsx v10. We are talking another 4-4.25 inches of lenght. This should be quite easy for a company that built the cadillac 16.Most guys stand up their radiators in there f-bodys to fit a big turbo in there. How about 2 extra cylidars. This has nothing to do with a viper fetish as I believe the lsx engines are far superior to the dodge. More with the quest for 1000hp NA pump gas engine.

All you have to make is the block, cranks,cams, and heads, intake,stand alone engine controller ( thats all LOL). If you like you can take some ideas from RHS like moving the cam north maybe clearenced for more stroke.

A boys gotta dream right. I would guess if you could make a turn key for under 20K you could sell enough to make enough money for it to be worth it, and the press from TV and the magazines would be silly.

Think about it guys. 1000HP pump gas. You will spend at least 15k to do it forced induction (if you do everything yourself). 20k is a really good deal. Katech might laugh and doing it for 20k. But the base engine could be 2o and the forged FI engine could be 30k Now we can talk 1500+ pump gas engines.

Quick Reply: What do you want to see from Katech in 2011?