Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What do you want to see from Katech in 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nodrok
WOW katech comes out to ask their customers directly what they want them to make, and the customers turn it into a katech bashing session. I understand they are pricey. I agree if they are making a similar cam package and charging nearly $200 more its not good for business.
Well, you must of not caught the thread where pretty much Katech bashed other shops (some sponsors here) about the price of their cams vs. the prices of other shops. They bragged about they're a big facility that does R&D for GM and we have camshaft technology research software and yada yada. Then I posted about Livernois motorsports does the same things as what they described and their cams are proven and only cost 389 and I never got a response from them. They just left the thread.

If you do a google search on "Why are Katech cams $500" it comes up but when clicked on it becomes an invalid link. I think the thread was erased.

Katech is just blowing smoke up your *** just like Weiand did with the StreetWarrior intake. Tell you about how they are going to do something and want your input on something and then never produce.

Prove me wrong Katech, come back in the thread and respond.

When I confront any other sponsors on here, I get a response from TSP to Speed Inc to Fraser at AES. Not Katech though, they have not posted here since the 15.

They have posted this title on mutiple forums and I bet they don't produce anything innovative for anybody no matter the platform of any car. Most likely because of cost vs. profit.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread really went to hell.

and I apologize to you Jason.

You guys are retarded... Katech makes premium products...

Yes Jason asked what you would like to see, but I think he was thinking more cool ideas...

NOT... make stuff thats already on the market in china and sell it to me for a dollar cause im broke...

thats not what katech does! they make the best. and yes it is expensive to be the best.

Its not some magic formula that makes products different prices... Low production numbers and superior R&D cause the prices to be higher...

You dont see $20k Ferraris just so that "normal people" can feel special to... Then the ownership of a ferrari would lose its appeal.

Same with diamonds and gold.

So. my advice to all of you is to go take an intro economics course and then stop being jews. and be happy that katech is there in case you ever make something of yourself and can afford the best.

Sorry about your toes.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA

Yes Jason asked what you would like to see, but I think he was thinking more cool ideas...

NOT... make stuff thats already on the market in china and sell it to me for a dollar cause im broke...

thats not what katech does! they make the best. and yes it is expensive to be the best.

Its not some magic formula that makes products different prices... Low production numbers and superior R&D cause the prices to be higher...

You dont see $20k Ferraris just so that "normal people" can feel special to... Then the ownership of a ferrari would lose its appeal.

So. my advice to all of you is to go take an intro economics course and then stop being jews. and be happy that katech is there in case you ever make something of yourself and can afford the best.

Sorry about your toes.
Knee pads wearing a little thin?

Andrew
Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Knee pads wearing a little thin?

Andrew
Im not the one whining like a little bitch.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet

When I confront any other sponsors on here, I get a response from TSP to Speed Inc to Fraser at AES. Not Katech though, they have not posted here since the 15.
Believe Jason was on vacation last week

Fraser
Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nl12
Direct injection heads and fuel system able to handle 1000rw on e85
Exactly GM had the L92 running on direct injection.
You make a set of heads like this for the LS7 and we will have massive amounts of power and torque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
In 2007, wardsauto.com reported that the LS3 (used by 2008 Chevrolet Corvette) and Vortec 6000 LFA (used by 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid) engines would be the final two designs in the Generation IV small-block engine family, and the future designs would be part of the Generation V engine family.

An experimental engine was built based on L92 engine from Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon Denali and Hummer H2, and reported to generate 450 bhp (340 kW) on gasoline via direct fuel injection, increased compression ratio to 11.5:1, and a modified engine controller.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...uto-com-54138/
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry about your toes.
I don't need an economics course to see that Katech sells the ls1 Hotcam for 600 bucks and Pace parts sells it for 489.

This site is 80%normal people (not including Jibbby) so if Katech sells parts for special people then they are sponsoring the wrong site.

I also notice that you don't have anything from Katech on your car so I guessing you're one of the normal people like us?

Look at the first post, he states the shop cars that they have and not one of them are drag cars. 85% OF THIS SITE DRAG RACES, so they just need to get into our market to be competitive and build a drag car, but I think they think building a drag car is beneath them from the last thread we had.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Well, you must of not caught the thread where pretty much Katech bashed other shops (some sponsors here) about the price of their cams vs. the prices of other shops. They bragged about they're a big facility that does R&D for GM and we have camshaft technology research software and yada yada. Then I posted about Livernois motorsports does the same things as what they described and their cams are proven and only cost 389 and I never got a response from them. They just left the thread.

If you do a google search on "Why are Katech cams $500" it comes up but when clicked on it becomes an invalid link. I think the thread was erased.

Katech is just blowing smoke up your *** just like Weiand did with the StreetWarrior intake. Tell you about how they are going to do something and want your input on something and then never produce.

They have posted this title on mutiple forums and I bet they don't produce anything innovative for anybody no matter the platform of any car. Most likely because of cost vs. profit.
No I did not see that thread. I can understand being frustrated, how ever with my past, I would rather deal with less customers and larger profit margins. Customers can be a pain in the butt. +1 on the direct injection heads. Much more affordable than my idea. You could make great money on them now. DI heads will be bad news for the aftermarket because once gm starts releasing them our regular heads are not going to be worth crap.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Well, I'll try to make an effort to get my input in to katech even though this thread is falling apart...
I'd like to see a "reasonably priced" ITB intake with electronic controls.
Possibly a dry sump retrofit for the new camaro.
I guess I'd like to see any parts to make the camaro more track worthy. Brake ducting, tow hooks, race seat install...if any of that is up your avenue.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 on the direct injection heads. Much more affordable than my idea. You could make great money on them now. DI heads will be bad news for the aftermarket because once gm starts releasing them our regular heads are not going to be worth crap.
Yeah i didn't think of that all the money we have spent on LS7 heads porting etc isn't going to be worth **** if DI heads come out.
Imagine that though LS7 heads ported with DI how crazy would that be.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

I would like to see some valve covers in stock
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Launching!

I would like to see the 4x h/c setup to be priced lower/closer/competitive to other companies 243 h/c packages.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sorry, but you all are asking obscene money for that flywheel. There is absolutely no reason that this flywheel can't be $499. Tell Fidanza to stop raping your ***.

Andrew
Originally Posted by Jontall
Jason, with all respect, who would pay $819.99 for a flywheel? The LS9 flywheel from GM is $184.

We are competitively priced on the flywheel. Lingenfelter is $824.95.

It is speculation, but I have insight as to what these things tend to cost. I am not just making up numbers. Of course they aren't forcing me. But at that price, who would buy one? If Katech actually wants to sell the flywheels by themselves they would make certain critical information available. There are people that have LSx engines with transmissions other than T56s. Knowing the installed height of the ZR1 clutch on their flywheel would allow people to judge if it will work in their application. Also knowing the depth of the clutch disk splines would be very handy. These two pieces of information would allow me to know if their flywheel and ZR1 clutch will work in my setup.

The ZR1 clutch is a fine piece. I have no doubt that it is all that Katech claims to be.

Andrew
Many people have bought flywheels at that price. We were not selling them separately at first but later decided to do so because of customer demand and other products in the market. Frankly I'm not too concerned with selling flywheels by themselves and providing all the engineering information that we have worked so hard to get, but if people want to figure it out on their own that is fine. There are a few applications that we have now or in the works that are not simple bolt-ons and have required the engineering of more parts. Right now we have C6, V1 CTS-V, F-body/GTO, 2010+ Camaro, and G8 GXP. We are more concerned with selling the complete clutch kits that we have engineered, which are priced competitively.

I don't even know why I posted in this thread before. Katech is not going to do anything any different from what they have been doing. Why don't ya'll make yourself useful and just go sponsor the Road Race section or something.

600 bucks for a Hot cam and springs!? How many of those have you sold or better yet how many customers have you greased up by selling them that high price on that cam. Pace has the same thing for 489.

I bet we will be here on January 20 2012 and see Katech in the same position as last year. Nothing innovative or getting more involved in the f-body platform at all.
We sell GM parts for list price. We have to. We buy from a GM dealer like everybody else. We don't have any special price hook ups from GM like people assume. I really don't care if we sell any GM hot cam kits. We're not in the business of buying and selling other people's parts for slim profit margins and dealing with the internet price wars. If other vendors want to make 3% PM on parts they can go ahead. We can't keep the heat on in the building for that. We are more interested in engineering and manufacturing our own unique products using our racing experience.

WOW katech comes out to ask their customers directly what they want them to make, and the customers turn it into a katech bashing session. I understand they are pricey. I agree if they are making a similar cam package and charging nearly $200 more its not good for business.

Like He said in his first post. They have the ability to make your dreams come true, but its not cheap.

Here is what I would like to see (keeping in mind you need to make money).

We are all looking for more power weather it nitrous,FI, or NA. There is no doubt NA is the easiest most reliable way to do this.

I would like to see a lsx v10. We are talking another 4-4.25 inches of lenght. This should be quite easy for a company that built the cadillac 16.Most guys stand up their radiators in there f-bodys to fit a big turbo in there. How about 2 extra cylidars. This has nothing to do with a viper fetish as I believe the lsx engines are far superior to the dodge. More with the quest for 1000hp NA pump gas engine.

All you have to make is the block, cranks,cams, and heads, intake,stand alone engine controller ( thats all LOL). If you like you can take some ideas from RHS like moving the cam north maybe clearenced for more stroke.

A boys gotta dream right. I would guess if you could make a turn key for under 20K you could sell enough to make enough money for it to be worth it, and the press from TV and the magazines would be silly.

Think about it guys. 1000HP pump gas. You will spend at least 15k to do it forced induction (if you do everything yourself). 20k is a really good deal. Katech might laugh and doing it for 20k. But the base engine could be 2o and the forged FI engine could be 30k Now we can talk 1500+ pump gas engines.
Very interesting thought with the V10. It's a nice dream, but definitely a dream. The resources to do something like that would be staggering. To give you a comparison, the XV16 engines we did for GM cost about a quarter million dollars each. Engineering something like a V10 with the final product being $20k is a dream.

I've been on vacation since January 15th. First of all, I would never bash any other shop. We won't do it. I wish I could sell cams for $389, but our cams are ground by Comp and at that price I would be selling them at a loss.

I'm not telling anybody that we are making anything in this thread. I'm asking for what you want to see. Whether or not we make it will depend on demand and if it can be produced at a price that people want to buy it and we can make a profit on it. I don't announce that we are doing something until it is either ready to purchase, or a prototype has been tested and the first batch is in process.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Just answer this Jason, the other racing program you can't mention, is it still in the road racing field?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just answer this Jason, the other racing program you can't mention, is it still in the road racing field?
Yes.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Enough said/ Good luck with whatever innovative product you come up with.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Sorry about your toes.
I'm on here for tech so I usually just ignore **** like this, but really baller? You have none of their parts and your build has been going on for over a year and you're going to tell the rest of us about making something of ourselves?
When the economy was **** they had a 20% off sale on just about everything they sell and they were still making a profit. I'll pay more for a better product, but it is possible to just pay more for a name.

No, but you are apologizing for other grown men which is pretty gay. Jason asked the question and he's getting awnsers. At the end of the day it's buissness, and he probably won't be crying himself to sleep over it

Last edited by MPM IV; 01-25-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS7 direct injection heads????
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, waah, i want DR specific parts or im not coming back.

ill admit ive only ever bought wiring/adapter stuff from Katech, which i thought was innovative, convenient, and although way more expensive than if i built it myself (its just wires and connectors, right?), it was what i needed. I also love the valve covers, and theres no way id pay that much for them. Id love to see a good ITB setup, or DI, i think both would be big developmental steps for the LS aftermarket.

Idc if you road race or drag race or drift or throw it in a speedboat, make some cool ****.

Quick Reply: What do you want to see from Katech in 2011?