Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

max lift allowable still keeping factory l92 springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default max lift allowable still keeping factory l92 springs

hey guys i have been searching for a couple hours to find the answer to this question.

what is the largest cam specs i can install in an l92 while still keeping the factory valve springs. i know i will probably have to change pushrods but im ok with that. if u could tell me the correct pushrod length that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not run any a/m cam with stock springs. Just asking for busted up stuff.

The big heavy valve with a small stem requires good springs.

Lunati kit works great and is cheap

Tim
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prerun400hp
hey guys i have been searching for a couple hours to find the answer to this question.

what is the largest cam specs i can install in an l92 while still keeping the factory valve springs. i know i will probably have to change pushrods but im ok with that. if u could tell me the correct pushrod length that would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't run any cam on stock springs. Tell you the correct pushrod length? One word, Measure.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock LS3 springs support a stock cam at ~.550 lift. However, aftermarkter cams, even something like mild XE lobes are faster ramp rates than the stock cam. Its not only lift, it's the lobe profile you need to consider.

IMO, limiting yourself to slower, lower lift lobes in order to run stock springs is leaving power on the table for the wrong reasons. Moderately priced springs will allow you many more options and provide better HP and TQ for a given amount of overlap at .006.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you guys. my guy decided to listen to what i told him and is gonna do it correctly with cam, springs and correctly measured pushrods. along with a very mild clean up port job. mostly to the exhaust side.
this is going into a desert race truck so reliability is key hoping for around 500-600 crank hp.

Quick Reply: max lift allowable still keeping factory l92 springs