Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So what do the 4.060 version flow
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Might I add that why would you name this engine head after an 80's show about a helicopter?

Anybody remember Airwolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_CJL1YQRc
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

These Airwolf heads flow less than WCCH stage 3 L92's..........NO????

Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you wave your American flag too high.. make sure you take all your engine internals from Callies Compstar, Carillo K1 and Eagle (ironic name) and catapult them all back to Tiananmen Square!

....just saying
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Might I add that why would you name this engine head after an 80's show about a helicopter?

Anybody remember Airwolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_CJL1YQRc
I may or may not have all those episodes on DVD
Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airwolf was awesome ! I also like Blue Thunder . I'm all for buying American but we are really losing a lot of ground in the manufacturing world . We've been the leader for decades but insane healthcare costs, labor unions, & greed are killing us . China hasn't caught up quality wise but look at Japan, Korea, and Taiwan .
Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Wow procomp in the US LSX scene. This is just plain bad.

They where making stroker kits and alloy heads for the GMH v8. No amount of Mallory could balance the crank. And if one ever did run it would have terrible vibrations or the crank would twist/snap. The alloy heads so porous that the one time i was given a set to RND I was tightening down the the stud nuts and the corner of the head clean cracked off. Just google procomp problems. Steer clear. That's why to this day i will only use factory castings and get them cnc'd
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is fail.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Whistler
Before you wave your American flag too high.. make sure you take all your engine internals from Callies Compstar, Carillo K1 and Eagle (ironic name) and catapult them all back to Tiananmen Square!

....just saying
Exactly. Chinese castings aren't always that bad, you would be surprised how many "American made" products are cast in China, and that's not just engine parts either. Some of those Chinese parts are actually better than their American made equivalents...

BTW, is this the same Bryce from Dr. J's Performance that I see in Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc.?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
This thread is fail.

lol.....and naming them Airwolf.....

Old 02-26-2011, 02:53 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Exactly. Chinese castings aren't always that bad, you would be surprised how many "American made" products are cast in China, and that's not just engine parts either. Some of those Chinese parts are actually better than their American made equivalents...

BTW, is this the same Bryce from Dr. J's Performance that I see in Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc.?
I have to agree as well. I don't care about where a product is made as long as it is made with quality. People can complain all they want about the original Pro Comp stuff, but these aren't the same parts.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigPoppa
head.
Are you serious Who are you talking to on this thread? The OP is not even a sponsor and those heads are not that great. Just because they flow alot means nothing. How they flow is what matters.

Last edited by Whistler; 02-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
KCS

Are you serious Who are you talking to on this thread? The OP is not even a sponsor and those heads are not that great. Just because they flow alot means nothing. How they flow is what matters.
How do you know they aren't that great? The Airwolf LS3's seemed to do pretty well against other LS3 castings in HOT ROD's test.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KCS
How do you know they aren't that great? The Airwolf LS3's seemed to do pretty well against other LS3 castings in HOT ROD's test.
Well first off these are LS7's so, if there was a head to head LS7 test then ok but you are talking about their LS3's.

How about it? WCCH LS7's vs Airwolf LS7's?

Second these are aftermarket castings but given the history of the Procomp castings, they might end up giving you more problems than you bargained for.

So they might perform well, but the question is, for how long before the head cracks in half or one of the head bolt holes snaps off while you are torqueing down the head due to inferior casting techniques?

Power means nothing compared to durability.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 AM
KCS

Well first off these are LS7's so, if there was a head to head LS7 test then ok but you are talking about their LS3's.

How about it? WCCH LS7's vs Airwolf LS7's?

Second these are aftermarket castings but given the history of the Procomp castings, they might end up giving you more problems than you bargained for.

So they might perform well, but the question is, for how long before the head cracks in half or one of the head bolt holes snaps off while you are torqueing down the head due to inferior casting techniques?

Power means nothing compared to durability.
Well given the similarities between an LS7 and LS3 port, I'd say Bryce's LS7 would fair well against the likes of WCCH, Mast, and TEA like his LS3 stuff did.

As for reliability, there are a million stories about how chinese stuff is inferior in quality. Some of them are true. Some are just people regurgitating stories they heard from others. When a performance shop big enough to have routine features and technical articles in magazines like HOT ROD put their faith in a Procomp casting to be tested for the whole world to see, I think it at least deserves a second look.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KCS
it would have been alot nicer if it were a fair test. they used the same cam for all the heads,i can tell you for a fact that every head responds differently to different cams. And every head requires something different in a cam. It would have been nice to see every head cammed properly. This would have shown a totally different outcome.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

if people are looking for good and resonably prices, we have some ls7 heads coming out in a few weeks that flow over 400cfm on the intake, they use american made aftermarket castings with american made components and will cost under $3000.00 complete
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
if people are looking for good and resonably prices, we have some ls7 heads coming out in a few weeks that flow over 400cfm on the intake, they use american made aftermarket castings with american made components and will cost under $3000.00 complete
I know who's casting they are and I will undoubtedly be moving to a set. Looks like the Cruiser will be wintering in VA Beach again next winter..
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KCS
Well given the similarities between an LS7 and LS3 port, I'd say Bryce's LS7 would fair well against the likes of WCCH, Mast, and TEA like his LS3 stuff did.

As for reliability, there are a million stories about how chinese stuff is inferior in quality. Some of them are true. Some are just people regurgitating stories they heard from others. When a performance shop big enough to have routine features and technical articles in magazines like HOT ROD put their faith in a Procomp casting to be tested for the whole world to see, I think it at least deserves a second look.
Yes it might but it might not. Look at that flow chart in the first post. There is no bore size or pipe used posted there. It doesn't even show 28". At least show the bore since 28" is a given.

You can own an inferior product and as long as you grease the right wheels you can get your product noticed and advertised. So putting them in a magazine doesn't mean that they are some new bad *** product and doing a couple of dyno pulls to show their power potential is only a part of an engine head's quality. Lets put them out there in the real world and put them on a 427 with 23 psi of boost and see how long they last. If they hold up I will be the first to say congrats, but given Procomp's casting history they might go on your engine.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Yes it might but it might not. Look at that flow chart in the first post. There is no bore size or pipe used posted there. It doesn't even show 28". At least show the bore since 28" is a given.
all very good points. It also doesn't say which bench it was flowed on or if it used a pipe or not on the exhaust.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the heads-but lots of info missing. If there was nothing to hide the info would be there.

Quick Reply: AIRWOLF LS7 heads