Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 427 N/A Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
You say you got stock tranny and rear? With that amount of power from a
LS3 427, I wouldn't count on them lasting long. But really, I don't know. It's a coin toss. I replaced my A4 and rearend. I can lay into the gas without breaking ****.
I have Nitto NT555's right now that are about half worn. So lack of traction will keep me from breaking parts too soon. The M6 is stronger than the A4, so hopefully it will hang on. I may have my local transmission guys replace the known weak links in the t56.

Have you been happy with the handling with your Nitto's? The 555's wouldn't even give me decent traction with the cammed 6.0, so I know I'm going to have to get something a little more sticky, but I don't want to go with a full out DR.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockerjoe2008
I have Nitto NT555's right now that are about half worn. So lack of traction will keep me from breaking parts too soon. The M6 is stronger than the A4, so hopefully it will hang on. I may have my local transmission guys replace the known weak links in the t56.

Have you been happy with the handling with your Nitto's? The 555's wouldn't even give me decent traction with the cammed 6.0, so I know I'm going to have to get something a little more sticky, but I don't want to go with a full out DR.
The M6 will last but with that power, it will wreck havoc on your rear. I got a performabuilt stage 2 A4 that will hold up to 700rwhp. I broke my rearend when I nailed it from a 60 roll. So be careful.

Well the nitto tires I got is the NT05R. NT05R's are superior to the original 555R's. Even with NT05R, I'm still blowing off the tires. But that's just on a regular street. You gonna get better traction at the track than on the streets. But, it depends on how well the track you go to is prepped.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

The compression should be around 12:1. The heads will be milled to 62cc to achieve that. I'll be using 93 oct pump gas. I don't plan on using n2o or boost so I wanted the highest compression possible to get the highest N/A numbers. The flow on these ported heads is higher than the new V2 230cc AFRs, I really think they will be a great fit for my purposes.
I just caught that you want to run 12:1 CR. My CR is 11:1 for my motor but I'm planning on spraying it too. SDPC built my motor to handle big shot of nos but I may stay conservatitive on that. My motor made well over 500 horses N/A in this setup with LS3/L92 cnc'd heads. I'm thinking I might be putting down a little more cause the motor is broken in and got some help with the tune. If I run some bigger headers, then no doubt I will make more hp/tq. But, right now, I can't really justify spending over $1k for some headers.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea the extra compression and higher flowing heads along with the M6 should net me around 525 fairly easy I hope. Could be more but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I is was just looking at Hinson Supercar's website and they have American Racing 1 7/8 headers on sale right now for $899.00. If they could work with your current mids that's a pretty good deal. I'm sure you could sell your old set for $4-500. I'm not sure if they would work with my current mids but I'm considering doing that. If you have to buy the mids too, then your right your going to be looking at around $1300.00.

Last edited by rockerjoe2008; 05-31-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just looked at the wavetrac and man are they all $900? Have people had good luck out of the detroit truetracs? I know they used to kinda the be the standard.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

I just looked at the wavetrac and man are they all $900? Have people had good luck out of the detroit truetracs? I know they used to kinda the be the standard.
Wavetracs are expensive but it's worth it. I didn't wanna compromise the car's driveability. My rear operates like stock til I nail it.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

With that kind of power from your motor, just expect that you'll be replacing a lot of parts between the motor and the rear tires. You'll immediately need to think about what sort of clutch you want to install. Since you'll have the motor out, now is the time to pick one built for that kind of horsepower. The tranny might give out at that power level so be prepared to have yours rebuilt and beefed up at some point. The driveshaft might need to be replaced. The rear end will absolutely need to be beefed up and the parts aren't very cheap. You should probably at least go with a TrueTrac and upgraded stub shafts. With that kind of power, you'll definitely be twisting the stock stubs IF you can get any traction.

You might be able to get along for awhile if you baby it, but just make sure you're prepared to upgrade the rest of the drive train as stuff breaks.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
With that kind of power from your motor, just expect that you'll be replacing a lot of parts between the motor and the rear tires. You'll immediately need to think about what sort of clutch you want to install. Since you'll have the motor out, now is the time to pick one built for that kind of horsepower. The tranny might give out at that power level so be prepared to have yours rebuilt and beefed up at some point. The driveshaft might need to be replaced. The rear end will absolutely need to be beefed up and the parts aren't very cheap. You should probably at least go with a TrueTrac and upgraded stub shafts. With that kind of power, you'll definitely be twisting the stock stubs IF you can get any traction.

You might be able to get along for awhile if you baby it, but just make sure you're prepared to upgrade the rest of the drive train as stuff breaks.

I know you're probably right, but I have my fingers crossed. I don't know if you noticed, but I am installing a Monster Level 3 clutch. Like I said earlier, my tires don't get that great of traction but they aren't worn out so I'm not replacing them until the tread is gone. I'm not going to be doing any 3,000rpm dumps or anything either. Hopefully it will last a little while.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

I know you're probably right, but I have my fingers crossed. I don't know if you noticed, but I am installing a Monster Level 3 clutch. Like I said earlier, my tires don't get that great of traction but they aren't worn out so I'm not replacing them until the tread is gone. I'm not going to be doing any 3,000rpm dumps or anything either. Hopefully it will last a little while.
Well, I figured anytime one wish to substantially increase hp/tq of a car, the drivetrain needs to be beefed up to handle that. So, I figured since I'm going from a 346 to a 427, there's no way in hell my original drivetrain will handle this powerful application. Besides spending money on the 427, I went ahead to get a upgraded 4L60E, then got a moser 9in, and got a stronger driveshaft.
Yes, it's alot of money in my build, but it's worth it. Trust me. When I busted my 10bolt, I was lucky to drive it home cause I was less than 2 miles away.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hope the 4l works out for you, i wonder if you might still be pushing its limits
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irish350
i hope the 4l works out for you, i wonder if you might still be pushing its limits
Well it's a performabuilt 4L60E trans that can withstand 700rwhp. Right now, my car makes at at least 508rwhp/480rwtq. The trans performs without any problems and it's under a 2yr warranty. So it's ALOT better than stock.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Well, I figured anytime one wish to substantially increase hp/tq of a car, the drivetrain needs to be beefed up to handle that. So, I figured since I'm going from a 346 to a 427, there's no way in hell my original drivetrain will handle this powerful application. Besides spending money on the 427, I went ahead to get a upgraded 4L60E, then got a moser 9in, and got a stronger driveshaft.
Yes, it's alot of money in my build, but it's worth it. Trust me. When I busted my 10bolt, I was lucky to drive it home cause I was less than 2 miles away.
how do you like your wavetrac with that power? just curious
Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be interested in what power you eventually put to the tires.

Your AFR heads flow well but are not significantly better than ported LS3 or LS7 heads installed on a 4.125 bore. Great numbers but the larger bore guys will most likely put up higher numbers in the end.

GTO1 Ohio recently posted his results of an ERL 427 with Mamo modified 205 heads and put down 486 rwhp through an auto.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
how do you like your wavetrac with that power? just curious
The wavetrac works like a charm especially in a streetcar.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Wow nice build let me know how it works out
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm supposed to get the car back in the next few days. I'll post up final numbers as soon as I know them. I've been a month with out my car now, I'm getting kinda antsy, LOL.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

I'm supposed to get the car back in the next few days. I'll post up final numbers as soon as I know them. I've been a month with out my car now, I'm getting kinda antsy, LOL.
Yea man, I want to know too. Kinda curious.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Well its hard not to agree with everyone else but I will make you happy and guess on the low end 540 rwhp. =)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Colemann
Well its hard not to agree with everyone else but I will make you happy and guess on the low end 540 rwhp. =)
That's more like it. LOL. It will be what it will be but I definitely have my fingers crossed. It should be fun to drive, regardless.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I'm guessing around 530hp 500tq

Quick Reply: LS3 427 N/A Build