Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 427 N/A Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 427 N/A Build

I just wanted to let you guys in on my current build and see what you think?

A couple of weeks ago I busted a rod bearing in my cammed but otherwise stock ls2 M6 GTO. I had been considering a LS3 swap for a while but figured it wasn't an immediate option. But shiz happens and I was left with a decision to rebuild the LS2 or go for the LS3 stroker. Well that decision took all of 3 seconds and LS3 it was.

My initial thought was a 414-416ci engine that would be a little more boost/n20 friendly down the road but I also wanted to get the Goat back on the road asap, being my DD. After contacting SDPC I found out that they didn't have that specific engine built but had a 427 with forged internals ready to ship. So I pulled the trigger and decided to just go ***** out N/A.

So here is where I'm at now. The 427 should be delivered tomorrow, along with a lsxr 102 intake and AFR 225 Momoized heads I picked up from 02RedHawk. You can see them here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-upgrades.html. I'm excited to see how these preform.

I don't remember the exact specs on the cam but it is around 235/245 110-112lsa?? I also have a new monster stage 3 clutch (because I didn't figure the stock clutch would last long), Fast Billet fuel rails, GMM ripshift, DBA 4000 rotors and Hawk pads.

I already had Dynatech longtubes with DMH lowprofile cutouts. I think the Dynatechs are 1 3/4 primaries, I know those will choke the 427 a little but I'm hoping not too much. I've kinda reached my threshold for spending pain for a while, but I'll eventually do American Racing 1 7/8s headers. I had a set on my old Sierra and they were the best headers I've seen.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to make sure I covered the basis. Car should be done by the end of this week or first of next week. I'll post up dyno numbers, and pics asap. Anyone wanna take a stab at power potential? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockerjoe2008
I just wanted to let you guys in on my current build and see what you think?

A couple of weeks ago I busted a rod bearing in my cammed but otherwise stock ls2 M6 GTO. I had been considering a LS3 swap for a while but figured it wasn't an immediate option. But shiz happens and I was left with a decision to rebuild the LS2 or go for the LS3 stroker. Well that decision took all of 3 seconds and LS3 it was.

My initial thought was a 414-416ci engine that would be a little more boost/n20 friendly down the road but I also wanted to get the Goat back on the road asap, being my DD. After contacting SDPC I found out that they didn't have that specific engine built but had a 427 with forged internals ready to ship. So I pulled the trigger and decided to just go ***** out N/A.

So here is where I'm at now. The 427 should be delivered tomorrow, along with a lsxr 102 intake and AFR 225 Momoized heads I picked up from 02RedHawk. You can see them here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-upgrades.html. I'm excited to see how these preform.

I don't remember the exact specs on the cam but it is around 235/245 110-112lsa?? I also have a new monster stage 3 clutch (because I didn't figure the stock clutch would last long), Fast Billet fuel rails, GMM ripshift, DBA 4000 rotors and Hawk pads.

I already had Dynatech longtubes with DMH lowprofile cutouts. I think the Dynatechs are 1 3/4 primaries, I know those will choke the 427 a little but I'm hoping not too much. I've kinda reached my threshold for spending pain for a while, but I'll eventually do American Racing 1 7/8s headers. I had a set on my old Sierra and they were the best headers I've seen.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to make sure I covered the basis. Car should be done by the end of this week or first of next week. I'll post up dyno numbers, and pics asap. Anyone wanna take a stab at power potential? Thanks.
Well, it's hard for me to say but about a year ago around this time, I bought a LS3 427 from SDPC. A fully assembled crate. L92/LS3 heads were cnc'd p/p from them as well. My car made 509/480 but that was on a subpar tune and my car was running rich as hell. But I got some help resolving some tuning issues. My car is running alot better now. I will redyno my car soon. Anyways, with your setup, you should make at least over 500rwhp. But, pls don't too caught up in chasing dyno numbers. Your car will be a ******* beast on the streets. Trust me...I know.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks CETA, I actually just got done reading your entire build thread like 5 mins ago, LOL. Glad to hear that you've got yours running well now. Let me know your numbers when you get it back on the dyno. I think you still have plenty of untapped potential in yours. I'm really hoping that I'm in the 550whp range. But like you said it should be a beast, regardless!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks CETA, I actually just got done reading your entire build thread like 5 mins ago, LOL. Glad to hear that you've got yours running well now. Let me know your numbers when you get it back on the dyno. I think you still have plenty of untapped potential in yours. I'm really hoping that I'm in the 550whp range. But like you said it should be a beast, regardless!
Yea you right. For example, I have SLP headers which are 1 3/4s. So, no doubt they are choking my 427. Also, my car is an A4. My car isn't a dyno queen due to a higher drivetrain loss. Also, these dyno numbers are before my 10 bolt gave up on me. Now, I got moser 9in. In a couple of weeks, I will go to the track to see what it can do. It's in the shop right now due to bumper and hood damage. Gotta replace bumper and hood. The original hood is no joke for pricing.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is a M6 so I'm hoping that will give me some better numbers. Anyone else have any predictions on power numbers or suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default nice monsta...

Thanks for letting us in, on your build, I'm OK with the heads but the cam, well, I'm just curious, i personally would try to pin point on it, cause it is the brain of the motor, how much compression?, you do have a big plus, for the Dino #s been an a m6, Not to discredit the good folks at SDPP but may i suggest to check every rod bolt, and main caps bolts/studs, make sure they all have proper torque wile the motor steel out, this don't void warranty, in my opinion it protects it, try to get the part number on the c/rods and find out the hp rating on them and make sure you know your limits rather than to find out in the school of hard knocks, in case you intent to follow up with the bottle later, God bless, enjoy David.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Camster, I'm using a respectable builder. He chose the cam based upon the drivability that I wanted, because its my daily driver. Like I said before I'm not sure on the cam specs, I was just guessing. Also, I'll make sure he checks everything is torqued to spec, although I don't expect that to be an issue.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you upgraded your fuel pump? If not, you're gonna starve that motor.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Have you upgraded your fuel pump? If not, you're gonna starve that motor.
I need to look into that, but I'm assuming that's taken care of. What type of pump do I need to look at, just in case?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Come on guys give me some guesses on power numbers? Be sure to look at the flow numbers on those heads, when predicting. I know you guys get tired of "guess my numbers" thread, but seriously I know that you guys need something to do while your at work, lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Launching!

525 to the tires.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

515wrhp
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

I need to look into that, but I'm assuming that's taken care of. What type of pump do I need to look at, just in case?
Yes you need to upgrade your fuel pump. I went with Lonnies Performance. There are other sponsor's but I was told to go with LP. I got a twin fuel pump setup. Might as well upgrade your fuel lines too. If you want, I can tell you what all I upgraded for my setup. Some of it you might not need, but considering I was spending $11K for a motor, better safe than sorry to mod up on other things for this motor. For example, I bought a Be Cool radiator to keep my motor running cool.

I think you may hit 530-540rwhp mark. But you will be more than impressed with the torque this monster makes.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
I think you may hit 530-540rwhp mark. But you will be more than impressed with the torque this monster makes.
Yea, I'll probably go ahead and upgrade the fuel pump and injectors. I'm also considering some better quality lifters, as cheap insurance. I think I'm going to have around 13k in the project all together, so I don't want to cheap out at the end to save a few pennies. I just hope the trans and rear end hold on until I can bomb proof those.

CETA what kind of tires are you using? Do you have traction issues with all that torque?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fuel
515wrhp
I'm hoping it's more than that. Why the low guess?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lingenfelter makes an in tank pump kit for the GTOs. But you may be pushing the limit of the pump without also using a voltage booster.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I'll probably go ahead and upgrade the fuel pump and injectors. I'm also considering some better quality lifters, as cheap insurance. I think I'm going to have around 13k in the project all together, so I don't want to cheap out at the end to save a few pennies. I just hope the trans and rear end hold on until I can bomb proof those.

CETA what kind of tires are you using? Do you have traction issues with all that torque?
Right now I'm using Nitto NT05R's on the streets. From a dig with these DR's, I'm still blowing off the tires. I may need to adjust my suspension a bit to give it more bite. I had the Mickey T's but they were going bald and I wanted to try out these new DR's Nitto just put out.

I'm hoping it's more than that. Why the low guess?
As we all know, dyno numbers varies. I don't think 515rwhp is a low number. Hell, that's more power than most cars on the streets. That kind of power in a daily driver is fun and crazy. Also, it depends on your setup. You don't wanna set too high of a expectation. You wanna terrorize the dynos or the streets?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

You say you got stock tranny and rear? With that amount of power from a
LS3 427, I wouldn't count on them lasting long. But really, I don't know. It's a coin toss. I replaced my A4 and rearend. I can lay into the gas without breaking ****.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd guess 525 +/- 10....tubes will choke it off a little. Compression?

I'm with CETAWS6 in that you shouldn't fall in love with "a number"....if you want a conversation piece to say "I make X" then there are plenty of tricks for that. If the combo is right and is specific to your intentions, it should be more than enough fun. Talk to SDPC....

Start saving some coin for drivetrain upgrades
Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I'd guess 525 +/- 10....tubes will choke it off a little. Compression?

I'm with CETAWS6 in that you shouldn't fall in love with "a number"....if you want a conversation piece to say "I make X" then there are plenty of tricks for that. If the combo is right and is specific to your intentions, it should be more than enough fun. Talk to SDPC....

Start saving some coin for drivetrain upgrades
The compression should be around 12:1. The heads will be milled to 62cc to achieve that. I'll be using 93 oct pump gas. I don't plan on using n2o or boost so I wanted the highest compression possible to get the highest N/A numbers. The flow on these ported heads is higher than the new V2 230cc AFRs, I really think they will be a great fit for my purposes.

Quick Reply: LS3 427 N/A Build