Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lifters, when to use link bars ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Default lifters, when to use link bars ?

Ive been searching, and it seems that cam lift is a deciding factor when switching to link bars, as there is a chance the lifter could leave the lifter tray ?

At what sort of lift does that become a risk ?

Also. GM say their "caddie" lifters are tested to 8k. Yet searching seems to offer mixed reports on them. Are they a good value lifter ? Any better or worse than a stock LS7 ?

Cam has 0.656" on the exhaust, and I will be spinning to 7k ( and have done already until oil pressure woes, so no real hard usage. )

I do have a set of Morels from a previous build, but one has damage to the roller and cannot be used. Are these available singly ?
I also have a perfectly good set of LS7 lifters that Ive been using.

I really dont want to be spending any more than absolutely necessary. But the caddie lifters seem decent value.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morel links would be the best if you are going to spin the motor high rpms. You can probaly buy a single lifter. The Caddie lifter I'm not sold on. Like you stated it seems a good value.. but???
The levels you are running I would aleast run the non link Morels in new trays. Thats what I'm runnning no problems so far my cam has less lift only 620's. I' m thinking that the lifter will come out of the tray and spin if you over rev the engine and get valve float etc. Basically if the lifter gets out of control and doen't have pressure on it from the spring and push rod. Not sure on what lift heights they have been poping out and spinning.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Hmmm, just checked all the old Morels a few minutes ago. I'd just dumped them in the corner when I stripped that engine a couple of years ago and they sat since. Seems 15 out of the 16 actually have plating missing from the roller !!

When the engine expired it did get a hard time, but that aint good.

My current LS7's are ok, so I think I'll just stick with them now.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW: I pulled my Caddy Racing lifters after a few of them got noisy with a .660 lift cam. I'm running Lunati (Morel) link bars now with a different cam.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think thats the deal with the caddy lifters. What spring pressure and at what lift did GM test them with. There are much better options. IMOP.

Quick Reply: lifters, when to use link bars ?