Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Priming the Oil System on a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're worrying over nothing. It's no big deal.
Last week I dry started my engine that hasn't been run in a year and it was smooth as butter. No ticks, knocks, scrapes, or any other noises.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I also used the starter to prime the motor. I took out the fuel pump solenoid and unplugged the coil harness. It took about three to four cranks to get pressure on my gauge.
This is what I did except I pulled the fuel pump fuse and unplugged/disconnected the coil packs. I think it took me three full crank cycles.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea after thinking about it I have more pressing things to worry about. Cranking a few times sans fuel pump relay should take care of it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Forget a propane cylinder or anything like it. They rust inside and you can't get the oil completely out.
Use a reverse osmosis storage tank. They have a rubber balloon in 'em and come in one of two configurations: either the water goes into the balloon and the air pressure is contained in the steel tank, or vice versa. Preferred type is the first. Rain Soft used to make one out of fiberglass that had a screw-on top with a balloon like I described, that would make it easy to clean and use for different fluids. They're the same size as a propane cylinder (like the one on HPTV) Shouldn't take but a couple of fittings to make a working pressurized oil tank.

Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 01-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Get 5 gallon bucket and a sbc oil pump with pick up attached. Cut pick up tube in half attach 2 ft of rubber hose in between. Attach hose to output on oil pump and other end of hose to block just above oil filter. Attach 1/2 drive drill and prelube your engine.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My racecar may sit for weeks or months during the winter, so I installed an Accusump, it works great , pumps up to 40 lb before starting the engine. After sitting for a year, I use the accusump first, crank up 40 lb, then pull the spark plugs, and connect a remote switch to the starter terminals, crank it over for 10 seconds. Now I am sure that all of the bearings have oil. When you start the motor, don't let it idle, bring it up to 2000 so the oil gets up to the rockers right away.

Quick Reply: Priming the Oil System on a New Engine