Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Priming the Oil System on a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Priming the Oil System on a New Engine

Do you guys do this and if so how? I was considering putting some break in oil into a bug sprayer and connecting it to the oil pressure port before I put the manifold back on.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

If you can pressure ize that bug sprayer up to a decent amout then have at it. Horsepower TV had to pump thers up to 70 PSI to prime their oil system in the LS 408 they built for a 69 camaro.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I saw that yesterday which is what prompted the question, LOL. Not sure what is magical about 70# though. In fact, that is around the pop off pressure for the relief valve in the oil pump so I don't get it. Don't want to invest in a spendy setup to use it once so I was wondering what the DIY'ers are doing. Seems like pumping the crap out of the bug sprayer and releasing it into the system for 5-10 minutes would get the job done.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Ya but if you take an old R12 take the valve out of the top and put a hose on it so you can hook it up to the oil pressure port and mabey a ball valve to turn it off when needed that waay you can put oil in it pressureize the tank then turn it over and open the valve so the pressure pushed the oil out. Just an idea. Your bug sprayer might work but might take a while.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats an idea too. I considered running compressed air through the bug sprayer but canned that when an image of the tank exploding and covering me and everything else with oil. Come to think of it, any type of tank that could take ~100# of pressure and then just tap an air compressor quick disconnect to it.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess by the lack of input most guys are just dry starting.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The engine dry starts every time you normally crank it. Odds are assembly lube stays on the bearings better then reg oil does. So long as the oil pump is in working order, i dont see how "dry starting" is bad. Soaked lifters/oiled springs and rockers, of course.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dry started my motor, the only other thing I did that Diet Cioke didn't was that I sprayed some fogging oil in cylinder before I cranked it, and of course disabled fuel and just let the starter turn the motor till oil pressure builds,
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

so why do the old SBC guys highly recomend priming? ISnt there an anti backflow spring on most oil pumps to keep the oil in the journals and majns? you may not have pressure when you strat your engine but there is still oil there so its not technically a "dry start'
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DietCoke
The engine dry starts every time you normally crank it. Odds are assembly lube stays on the bearings better then reg oil does. So long as the oil pump is in working order, i dont see how "dry starting" is bad. Soaked lifters/oiled springs and rockers, of course.
I agree that the assembly lube should do it's job but just trying to ensure things go as smooth as possible. Another reason I wan to prime is the new build is a TT so I would want oil to the turbos as well.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
so why do the old SBC guys highly recomend priming? ISnt there an anti backflow spring on most oil pumps to keep the oil in the journals and majns? you may not have pressure when you strat your engine but there is still oil there so its not technically a "dry start'
I would say just because it's easy with a small block, just need a distributor shaft on a drill.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

i do believe if the engine is still on the stand it is not hard you can make a priming system for very little no money but where your building a TT thats different and wanting to have oil pressure for the turbos on initial startup. and getting to the oil port in an Fbody wont be easy but looks like you have a vette from your sig. So that shouldnt be as much of a problem getting to the oil port.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The turbos will be on the engine when it's dropped in so no biggy there.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I prime my LS engines is take all the spark plugs out. Pop a starter on the engine on the stand or in the car. Slap a battery and a charger on it and crank away till oil comes out the port where the oil press switch screws in. Works every time for me.
No exhaust escaping so the turbos should not turn.

I'll also disable the fuel pump if it's in a car.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I drilled a hole a little smaller than a valve stem and installed it into My bug sprayer and pump it to 50 or 60 all the time ,,,,,,,,,,,as long as the sprayer is'nt real old or been sittin in the sun much but yes a steel refrigerant can or some sort of air tank would probably be a little safer over time .
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Smile pre-oiler

Posted this a long time back, Use a section of 4" PVC pipe, solid plug one end and set up the other with a screw on cap , drill and tap both ends for 3/8 pipe, ball valve both ends, the screw on cap gets an air chuck on the ballvalve, the other end gets what ever you need to attach a section of flexible line that will take a little pressure.
The oil cooler adapter above the oil filter will need to be tapped if yours is not already, make whatever plumbing you feel comfortable with between the ball valve with the hose adapter, unscrew the threaded plug add oil(amount depends on how large of a resovoir you made), srew plug back on, chuck up your air hose and pressure up your engine. You could use a small regulator if you wish to have a little control on air pressure. This is a simple and inexpensive system, works fine.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PVC would provide a good pressure container.

Dumb question but does it matter where I tap into? There's the port on the drivers side lower part of the block (actually I don't know if this is there on my LQ4 block), and where the pressure sensor goes, behind the valley cover.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also used the starter to prime the motor. I took out the fuel pump solenoid and unplugged the coil harness. It took about three to four cranks to get pressure on my gauge.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I'm being over-cautious. Pretty sure the assembly lube can handle 3-4 cranks and I can squirt some oil in the turbos before install.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
PVC would provide a good pressure container.

Dumb question but does it matter where I tap into? There's the port on the drivers side lower part of the block (actually I don't know if this is there on my LQ4 block), and where the pressure sensor goes, behind the valley cover.
Not really, just need an oil galley, that part I used is only on with 2 bolts, easy to take off and drill and tap, then can be used for a oil pressure port if so desired, sorry I missed it, the place you are speaking of, driver side, low on block, is where I am using also....

Last edited by oldngray; 01-10-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: misread

Quick Reply: Priming the Oil System on a New Engine